• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You lost me there ... how do you reconcile the two different pin counts between the TPA and the OPA ?

One is 20 pin, the other is 8 pins.

Dominique-T

Hello to all,

I am new to this fantastic forum, I am French, but I am leaving in Germany.

I recently bought an SMSL DP3, that I am using to stream music from a local USB drive, or from my NAS to an external DAC via SPDIF.

I am extremally satisfied with this DAP, which can also be used as a DAC (ESS9018).

I prefer the sound of my external DAC, but I would be interested to know more about the objective measured performances of the internal DAC. In Europe, you can get this DP3 for 250€, excellent value for the price.

http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=145

Dominique

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Then how about measuring Amir's Otari MX5050...

+1000 to more analog.

Most competently made DACs measure so good now, it becomes an exercise in vanity metrics about jitter and noise in the -100 to -120 dB range.

With the resurgence of vinyl, measuring phono stages and cartridges is an area that needs more science to counter balance the nearly entirely subjective audiophile reviews.

I'm shocked (well, maybe I shouldn't be) about the lack of measurable improvements as one ascends from $200 phono cartridges to $2000 phono cartridges, such as going from -20 dB channel separation to -25dB....for $1800.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

bakker_be

What is it?

A cable with a tiny DAC chip and op amp built into the dongle?
That's the claim at least ... Only drawback that's official at the moment: it doesn't like Huawei Kirin SOC, and it just so happens that I, after years of buying inexpensive Chinese smartphones, have finally succumbed and bought a flagship phone, Huawei P20 Pro :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What is it?

A cable with a tiny DAC chip and op amp built into the dongle?
It is probably an integrated DAC+headphone amp.

This is the specific unit I think: https://www.amazon.com/Google-Pixel-USB-C-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B077NNWW2J?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3
41g26KanxCL._SL1500_.jpg

bakker_be

The guy from Venture Electronics "claims" his is not your typical mass-produced item. It's supposed to be built independently.
Quote from his Facebook group:
Code:
here is comes the specs

The odyssey features a realtek usb audio 2.0 all in one chip , it sounds good , cuz we are not trying to win anyboy "on paper", instead we choose a decent chip and make it as good as it can be, then sell them for a budget price.

the chip itself can actually do a lot more than what I have given u.

We decided to lock the chip to 16bit 44.1khz and 48khz, so that few asshole smartphone that can't do hires will still work with it without any prob.

Thanks to the clan, we have met our original goal on this project. I don't need to tell u more on the spec as u can read the feedbacks in the group.

And the biggest point that I am trying to make is that

when u don't have a lot to work with, be practical ~
don't be an asshole selling junks that looks good, but sounds both wrong and mostly worse than a pc or phone.

p.s. 1 more thing i can be sure about here is that, after more ppl hear them , we won't have enough to last till the next big batch , as it takes months to order them chips lol, so I guess grab them while u still can.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The guy from Venture Electronics "claims" his is not your typical mass-produced item. It's supposed to be built independently.
He uses some language to talk about it:

1536517876355.png

:)

Alas, the spec tab is empty. Does someone want to buy it and have it sent to me for testing? I can't get their shopping cart to do anything and don't have an account on aliexpress.

Word on the street is that the Odyssey has high output impedance? Guessing it just uses voltage output off a DAC, with no current buffer.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Word on the street is that the Odyssey has high output impedance? Guessing it just uses voltage output off a DAC, with no current buffer.
Likely true. These are usually the silicon designed for laptops. There is no room in that little dongle for much else.

derp1n

VE is a super scummy company. Do not give them your money.

esm

Forum Donor
Is anyone here familiar with any reasonable tests of wireless interconnects like the SVS SoundPath, or perhaps the AudioEngine D2 DAC (or maybe even the W3, although that's a little outside what I'm personally after)?

I have a couple of living room positions that are not exactly convenient to reach with physical wire, but wireless links to actives would work great, assuming the fidelity losses were acceptable. I don't exactly trust the glossy sales pitches when it comes to some company's in-house wireless audio protocol though.

It looks like the closest discussion previously was a couple of years ago, which...didn't seem to end well, giving it a quick skim. ;) Has Amir tested any of these, and I just missed it?

bakker_be

VE is a super scummy company. Do not give them your money.
Oh well, I've no vested interest :) I came across them in my search for a custom cable for my Focal Elear actually, and they seem to at least be straight up when it comes to delivery and such. FWIW I don't believe this will have an impact on the sound, I just need a cable that's a bit easier to handle than the 3 meters of towing cable Focal includes. After VERY long deliberation I've bit the bullet this weekend and ordered this cable.

Last edited:

yummy

I'm sure currenty only Vega g2 measuring better than UDP-205 but too expensive, like luxury

could anyone just give a loaner to admin

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm sure currenty only Vega g2 measuring better than UDP-205 but too expensive, like luxury

could anyone just give a loaner to admin
Thanks. Maybe you can drop a note to Auralic and see if that entices them to send one in, seeing how their other unit measured well.

Top Bottom