• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

escalibur

Halcyon

I am interested in testing gaming DACs at some point. This one looks cute but the specs are underwhelming. Do you know how popular it is in gaming circles?

It has only been shipping for a few months, AND it initially only shipped along with (some quite crummy) gaming headphones, not by itself. It has now been shipping as a solo DAC (w/O headphoned) for... 3 days!. So, I doubt that the popularity is very high.

Much more popular are:

- Creative Sound BlasterX X7 (oldest), G5 (older) and G6 (newest, just shipping, perhaps most interesting, although I doubt it will be of very high quality as DACs go)
- or even the Sennheiser GSX series (1000 and 1200, same as above, but less popular, much less)
- Asus Xonar series (very old, but still in use with many)

Of the newer USB based Gaming DACs, in addition to SteelSeries, there are following (I doubt they are very popular yet):

Cougar Dive (C-Media based, 7.1 gaming dac, ESS9601 based)
https://www.techpowerup.com/245165/...um-pro-immersa-2-and-havoc-bt-gaming-headsets

Asus ROG Centuriuon 7.1 ( USB and HDMI input based DAC)
https://www.asus.com/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Centurion/

Asus Xonar U7 MkII (from 2016, CS4398 based)
https://www.techpowerup.com/228697/asus-also-announces-the-xonar-u7-mkii-external-sound-card

Turtle Beach Elite Pro TAC (crap quality)
https://www.turtlebeach.com/products/elite-pro-tac

I think the most interesting one to review right now is the new Nobsound NS-DAC3 Pro with the es9038q2m inside. There is also a rebranded version from Leaf Audio that is even cheaper: 110€
It is also equipped with an headphone amplifier 1500mw@32 and 200mw@300 and a bluetooth receiver.
;)

bakker_be

I think the most interesting one to review right now is the new Nobsound NS-DAC3 Pro with the es9038q2m inside. There is also a rebranded version from Leaf Audio that is even cheaper: 110€
It is also equipped with an headphone amplifier 1500mw@32 and 200mw@300 and a bluetooth receiver.
;)
There's also the non-PRO version which features the DSD1792 DAC-chip and no Bluetooth.

SKBubba

Curious about this specific Startech USB external "sound card":

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adap...verter-External-SPDIF-Sound-Card~ICUSBAUDIO2D

Available on Amazon for ~$30. Mainly curious about the USB to Toslink conversion quality for stereo 16/44.1 and 24/96. Don't care about the analog or the surround passthru.

Thinking this would be an inexpensive way to get digital out of a NUC or laptop that does not have an s/pdif optical output to use with amp, AVR etc. with Toslink input.

Saw your analasys of the Topping D10, which sounds like a strong contender for this purpose. Wondering how this Startech gadget might compare.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm, I know this is against the grain off this thread, but I'd personally like to see fewer DAC measurements and more amp (headphone, integrated or power amp) measurements.

It seems to me that you've now managed to find a large number of exceptional DACs at a range of price points. Definitely keep up this work, especially when new (especially) cheap interesting-looking products come onto the market or are offered for measurement by members.

But I think it would make more sense to now start the hunt for a range of exceptional amps at various price points. Anyone who's been on this forum for a while and has had the chance to buy a new DAC in that time now probably has a transparent (or close to transparent) front end.

Amplification is the area where members now are more likely to need objective data (I don't personally btw, I'm just thinking in terms of the forum generally).

Anyway, do I need to say again how great your work is? Thanks so much :)

Just my 2c on future direction though... ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
hi amirm,

when will the review online?
Hi there. I was going to test that next but then there is a call for a break from DAC testing so I am not sure now. :)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another point which is worth to mentioning is, output impedance of it is no higher than 0.1 ohm (Probably it will be even lower at retail version).

Finally dumping the TPA6120A2...

derp1n

Finally dumping the TPA6120A2...
maverickronin, better late than never - I just replaced all TPA6120A2 amps in Benchmark DAC3 with OPA1612 and play it so far for few hours. TPA6120A2 is a very good amplifier especially for the price ($0.5). OPA1612 is fuller sounding - especially lower midrange but also more dynamic. Transients are stronger, both rimshots of snare drum and big-band trumpets. It is a little bit cleaner and perhaps because of that instruments are more defined in space. A little improved width of the image and maybe slightly depth as well. TPA6120A2 is very flat and even sounding but is no comparison to OPA1612. Overall balance with new amp is a little darker but with better transients. OPA1612 is open sounding but is a little warmer possibly because of the lower midrange roundness. So far I don't hear any harsh sibilants (very clean) but it is virtue of my speakers. What else, maybe cleaner more resolved sound at congested parts.
I listen now to very well recorded John Pizarelli meets the Beatles having loudness adjusted to comfortable low level but trumpets come in few moments too loud. I don't remember that before but I like it.
OPA1612 is the same thing as OPA2211 (dual of OPA211) but with worse voltage offset (dedicated to audio). I don't care since my amp bandwidth starts at few Hz - most likely DC servo to take out unbalance. I'm still hesitant to short output caps since I might forget about it and use Benchmark with different power amp. OPA2211 is more expensive and does not guarantee acceptable offset because of other parts like D/A chip itself. OPA1612 has extremely low crosstalk - possibly dual die but some reported better results with two OPA1611. In my opinion it might be placebo effect.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
maverickronin, better late than never - I just replaced all TPA6120A2 amps in Benchmark DAC3 with OPA1612 and play it so far for few hours. TPA6120A2 is a very good amplifier especially for the price ($0.5). OPA1612 is fuller sounding - especially lower midrange but also more dynamic. Transients are stronger, both rimshots of snare drum and big-band trumpets. It is a little bit cleaner and perhaps because of that instruments are more defined in space. A little improved width of the image and maybe slightly depth as well. TPA6120A2 is very flat and even sounding but is no comparison to OPA1612. Overall balance with new amp is a little darker but with better transients. OPA1612 is open sounding but is a little warmer possibly because of the lower midrange roundness. So far I don't hear any harsh sibilants (very clean) but it is virtue of my speakers. What else, maybe cleaner more resolved sound at congested parts.
I listen now to very well recorded John Pizarelli meets the Beatles having loudness adjusted to comfortable low level but trumpets come in few moments too loud. I don't remember that before but I like it.
OPA1612 is the same thing as OPA2211 (dual of OPA211) but with worse voltage offset (dedicated to audio). I don't care since my amp bandwidth starts at few Hz - most likely DC servo to take out unbalance. I'm still hesitant to short output caps since I might forget about it and use Benchmark with different power amp. OPA2211 is more expensive and does not guarantee acceptable offset because of other parts like D/A chip itself. OPA1612 has extremely low crosstalk - possibly dual die but some reported better results with two OPA1611. In my opinion it might be placebo effect.

I'm a little confused now...

Top Bottom