• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

snip3r77

For the HD6xx if you don't care about other headphones (high impedance output) the Aune is good, otherwise the RHead was also rated favorably:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...aune-x7s-and-arcam-rhead-headphone-amps.4270/

You've missed the drop for the THX AAA on massdrop which is surely their best amp, but monoprice has a THX amp releasing soon, too which might be quite good, that one is a dac/amp combo though. Neither THX has been reviewed by amir at this point though.

I would not bother with the Liquid Carbon or the CTH. The massdrop O2 is probably the best budget thing out there afaik.

Previously I was using the o2-odac combo ( done by a local DIYer ) but I sold it off because of some bass distortion and it's cranked UP. Not sure if I want to re-visit it again.

As I need <1 Output Impedance. I guess only o2 and rHead.

Veri

Master Contributor
Odd about the bass distortion, mine definitely didn't do that but it had a 3.5x gain set-up (JDS labs) which was definitely sufficient.

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
interested to see reviews and comments on Cambridge Audio and Meridian. And of coz Merging's Hapi/Horus as well :p

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
interested to see reviews and comments on Cambridge Audio and Meridian.
Which Meridian? Explorer? If so, I will post that at some point but for now, its performance is not that exceptional.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Likely repeat posting:

I am dreaming on seeing measurements from audiophiles darlings such as MSB, Lampizator, Trinity, dCS, etc ... DACS especially the more expensive models. How would they compare to the Oppo , RME and Toppings? I kind of think that dCS would do alright measurements-wise ...
One of my wet dreams ...o_O:facepalm:

helloworld

Hi

Likely repeat posting:

I am dreaming on seeing measurements from audiophiles darlings such as MSB, Lampizator, Trinity, dCS, etc ... DACS especially the more expensive models. How would they compare to the Oppo , RME and Toppings? I kind of think that dCS would do alright measurements-wise ...
You can check the specs of dcs vivaldi
Dac, they are not very attractive compare to the price and you won’t expect the measurement better than the specs.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a friend that has offered one of the above for review. I am waiting for my workload to go down before taking him up on it.

For the rest, it would really be good if people reading this forum reach out to these companies and ask for measurements before considering their products. Over time I think manufacturers will need to provide independent measurements of their products to exploit the full market.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd like to see a music streamer measurement round-up, with Bluesound, Sonos, what have you.
You mean make acoustic measurements of what the speaker produces? Or line out? If so, which ones have such outputs?

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
These may have been mentioned before, but iFi xDSD. Mine certainly SOUNDS good ;)
Send it in to Amir, with a flat rate priority box from the USPS it will cost between $7-11, depending on what size box you need. I too would like to see how it measures up against the iDSD Micro, and the iOne when Amir gets around to measuring it (no hurry, lol, not rushing you).

PuX

You mean make acoustic measurements of what the speaker produces? Or line out? If so, which ones have such outputs?
I am guessing this:
http://www.bluesound.com/products/node-2/

basically a network music streaming box. would be interesting to see how good they are technically. streaming software should be good/polished, but nobody knows about the audio quality. btw NAD collaborated with them on new NAD amplifiers so they outsource (right word?) their technology.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am guessing this:
http://www.bluesound.com/products/node-2/

basically a network music streaming box. would be interesting to see how good they are technically. streaming software should be good/polished, but nobody knows about the audio quality. btw NAD collaborated with them on new NAD amplifiers so they outsource (right word?) their technology.
I just sent them an email to see if they are willing to provide a loan unit. At $500 it is pretty expensive for my personal budget at the moment. :)

pwjazz

Forum Donor
Chord all the way, I want to see how an FPGA based DAC measures.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm any interest in measuring my PS Audio Stellar GCD?
Sure. Please start a conversation with me and we can coordinate getting it tested.

derp1n

D

Deleted member 3718

NAD M51
Marantz HD-DAC1
Parasound Zdac v.2

I've read good reviews for these but it would be great to see some objective analysis. I'm new to "audiophilia" and I can't decide what dac or dac/headphone amp to go with first. The amount of choices out there is a bit overwhelming. I'm leaning towards the RME API-2 DAC based on the stellar results in amirm's review.

Top Bottom