• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'skinny X-3800H' without the amp?

mkarikom

The Denon AVR x-3800H which fits my processing/preamp needs but I already have a stack of outlaw 2200 monoblocks set aside for this.
Kind of annoying that they don't just let you buy it without the amps.

Is there a more affordable option that provides:
- volume control over HDMI ARC
- 5.1 (or more) processing
- bitstream processing (my tv can do multichannel passthrough but I think decoded/PCM might only be stereo)

bonus:
- balanced preamp outputs
- some sort of room correction (i don't have any treatments)
- someone explain the market for Dirac, Dirac Multi vs Audyssey MultEQ XT, MultEQ XT32

Fully aware that discrete "processors" always seem to cost more for some reason, so the most economical solution to the above might actually be the X-3800H

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Closest you can come is with a pre-pro from the sister brand Marantz. Denon hasn't offered a pre-pro for a while....but if you use pre-amp mode in amp assignment it will work just fine. Balanced pre-amp outputs aren't particularly needed in most home applications. The market for all those I'm not sure what you mean?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have it spot on. The most* economical solution is the X3800H in part due to economies of scale. The other products like the Onkyo RZ50 may be even MORE economical given the included Dirac and sale pricing…

But AV processors are pretty expensive due to poor economies of scale.

OP
M

mkarikom

You have it spot on. The most* economical solution is the X3800H in part due to economies of scale. The other products like the Onkyo RZ50 may be even MORE economical given the included Dirac and sale pricing…

But AV processors are pretty expensive due to poor economies of scale.
oh nice, RZ50 isnt listed on the Dirac website, but what license is included?
just looking at the 3800H list you can get:
1. Dirac Live Room Correction Limited Bandwidth
2. Dirac Live Room Correction Full Bandwidth
3. Dirac Live Bass Control Single Subwoofer
4. Dirac Live Bass Control Multi Subwoofer
5. Bundle Offer Single
6. Bundle Offer Multi

Honestly, the idea of computational room correction (vs anechoic treatments) is maybe the most appealing thing about these modern AVR units
But the marketing of Dirac is completely bonkers
Like the ultimate version of the classic "cripple hammer"

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
5. Bundle Offer Single
6. Bundle Offer Multi

Honestly, the idea of computational room correction (vs anechoic treatments) is maybe the most appealing thing about these modern AVR units
I've wondered how much the marketing has been effected by the original contract with Pioneer (before Onkyo acquired).

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
5. Bundle Offer Single
6. Bundle Offer Multi

RZ50 has 2. Full bandwidth Dirac Live. It's not on the site, since that's the included version of Dirac and there's nothing to buy/upgrade to. Very confusing, yes. So you don't get DLBC support

RZ70 includes 2 and can be upgraded to 3-6.

X3800H includes nothing and can be upgraded to 1-6

Honestly, if you have full range speakers and a single sub, you don't really need more than #2. I say this as a former HTP-1 owner that had 5 subs and DLBC MSO. The HTP-1 is still excellent -- it took a Trinnov to replace it and there are still great things about the HTP-1. (My HTP-1 is with a family member now).

Last edited:
Top Bottom