• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great driver for single driver no crossover speaker?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Main goal is just to try something without a crossover, mostly out of curiosity, while still hopefully being somewhat high end and enjoyable. Probably to use as a desktop speaker or in a secondary bookshelf system. I’ve also been curious about the Textreme ever since they came out. Would the suggested drivers be meaningfully better than the MW13TX for this?

Take a look at the Canon S-50 that was measured here. They sound way better than you expect and potentially can use them as enclosures for future modifications…

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The MW13TX is a great woofer, but I wouldn't use any 5" driver for a full-range speaker. To get decent bass you are going to need a lot of excursion which is detrimental to multi-tone distortion.

IMO either go 12-15" and sacrifice the top 2-3 octaves or do a 2 way design, something like a Markaudio Pluvia 7 + Dayton Odeum 15LF.

JohnnyAudio

I have 2 Lii audio 10"
S-10 in open baffle
P-10 in Headwrecker folded horn
love them both with no crossover

Top Bottom