• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great driver for single driver no crossover speaker?

CedarWind108

Would it be reasonable to say that the SB Acoustics Satori MW13TX might make for a pretty good single driver speaker? (Assuming being ok with some compromise on low and high frequencies)

Attachments

• IMG_7786.jpeg
    IMG_7786.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 111

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would help to have a bit more idea of what your application goals are, budget and design targets.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
- Scan Speak mentioned above
- Visaton B 100
- Visaton B 200
- Tang Band W4-2140
- Tang Band W8-2145/1808/1772
as said before, depends on application.

OP
CedarWind108

CedarWind108

Main goal is just to try something without a crossover, mostly out of curiosity, while still hopefully being somewhat high end and enjoyable. Probably to use as a desktop speaker or in a secondary bookshelf system. I’ve also been curious about the Textreme ever since they came out. Would the suggested drivers be meaningfully better than the MW13TX for this?

ppataki

Major Contributor
I think that would be hard to tell....but I will let the more knowledgeable members here comment on that

If you just want to taste the 'one-way sound' I suggest going with a relatively cheap driver first - hence I recommended Markaudio
You can take a look at their CHN110, CHR120, Pluvia 11, Alpair 10p and Alpair 12p drivers for example - they are all top notch in terms of price/value ratio

I only design and build one-way systems, you can maybe get some inspiration from those too:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Main goal is just to try something without a crossover, mostly out of curiosity, while still hopefully being somewhat high end and enjoyable. Probably to use as a desktop speaker or in a secondary bookshelf system. I’ve also been curious about the Textreme ever since they came out. Would the suggested drivers be meaningfully better than the MW13TX for this?

No, but there may be better values. How much power and eq are you planning to use? Any prefs on sealed vs vented? Is accuracy important to you or ok with “sound good”. When you try to get one driver to all, tradeoffs abound. Some of the suggested drivers do not measure as linear as others, but if that matters less, that might be fine. Might consider some of the larger Tectonic drivers too.

312elements

How much experience do you have designing transmission lines? There are a bunch of designs over on DIY audio that would work with this similarly sized and priced speaker (mark audio MAOP 10) . Depending on what you value in terms of measurements, one could argue that this measures a little better too.

My 2 cents… a helper woofer or two is worth the trouble of integrating into the project. I’ve not used the MAOP 10, but the 7 sounds best crossed around 150hz and the 5 sounds best crossed closer to 300-500hz depending on baffle width.

I’m personally against crossing a subwoofer that high hence the suggestion to add a helper woofer. One last thought… the bigger full range drivers are more prone to beaming.

I hope you go through with the project. I find them to great in the proper context.

jaakkopetteri

Kartesian Wib120_vHE seems great going by the datasheet. A fair amount of linear excursion for the size while keeping beaming to a reasonable level

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yeah. I'm the wrong person to ask offer an opinion on great "full range" drivers on this forum. ;)

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah. I'm the wrong person to ask offer an opinion on great "full range" drivers on this forum. ;)
"great" means more than 8 " diameter, or dismission of great sounding fullrange speakers?

OP
CedarWind108

CedarWind108

Would like to end up with something that is exceptionally good at the limited things that it can do. Value is not super important as long as it can accomplish this. Accuracy/detail is definitely a priority as well as simple construction, avoiding ports if possible, transmission lines etc. If the Textreme would be suitable, that is the one I would like to go with unless others are meaningfully better for this. I’m very grateful for all the input and I’m sure most of you are much more knowledgeable so all help validating or repudiating this idea is very appreciated.

312elements

Would like to end up with something that is exceptionally good at the limited things that it can do. Value is not super important as long as it can accomplish this. Accuracy/detail is definitely a priority as well as simple construction, avoiding ports if possible, transmission lines etc. If the Textreme would be suitable, that is the one I would like to go with unless others are meaningfully better for this. I’m very grateful for all the input and I’m sure most of you are much more knowledgeable so all help validating or repudiating this idea is very appreciated.
115hz F3 in a simple sealed box I fear will leave you wanting more.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
"great" means more than 8 " diameter, or dismission of great sounding fullrange speakers?
Nope, neither -- although fullrange is usually, at least practically speaking, oxymoronic.
Indeed, I'd opine that an 8 inch driver is just about the optimum (Platonic ideal?) form factor for a good extended-range driver.

It's just that my tastes in same run towards the vintage and somewhat esoteric relative to what'll fly here. :cool:;):facepalm:
e.g.,

1713218935225.jpeg

^^^ too rich for my blood. :(

I have to settle for stuff like...

5-1/4"

8"

8" & 6" Pioneer "Biflex"-style (dual compliance surround) drivers

8"

12" (ensconced in a battered, Pioneer-made Karlson knockoff cabinet) ;)

12"

15" :p:facepalm:

Top Bottom