• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, yeah, but it's going to have to have a pretty big diameter!
That's what a Dyson Sphere does; it encloses a star. This is a moderately interesting article about it.

What's amazing is that for a short time astronomers actually thought the Kepler Space Telescope might have detected one.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your sarcasm is a bit too dry for the internet. This is what emojis are for.

walk_the_plank.gif
I think my humor was only a bit too dry for someone looking to shoot first and think later.
The NCCC banning the E-Ray is anti-science. MDs are not usually scientists. Engineers aren't usually scientists either. When those in power who aren't in the know but think they are make poor decisions, people suffer.
You're kidding, right? You're implying that anyone who isn't a scientist by whatever arbitrary (and probably inaccurate) definition you have is anti-science? Such nonsense.

As for the NCCC's decision, that made me laugh yesterday. Today you get a facepalm. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
I think it's very interesting how little notion we as humans give to long term survival. And strange too.
Makes perfect sense to me. As animals, we are hard wired to prioritise short term survival and reproduction. Natural selection doesn’t seem to see any advantage in prioritising timeframes longer than one’s life.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Makes perfect sense to me. As animals, we are hard wired to prioritise short term survival and reproduction. Natural selection doesn’t seem to see any advantage in prioritising timeframes longer than one’s life.
Well, it's a nice reason, but I don't know. I see people take bad decisions even in timeframes of 10 years, even 5, some even 2 or 1. Seems just a lack of understanding to me.

That there are so many, doesn't make it proof of an advantage in evolutionary terms imo. Rather an attribute to modern day society, where there is enough food, health and social support for natural selection to have less of an effect than without these social securities and advantages of a highly organised society.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I think it's very interesting how little notion we as humans give to long term survival. And strange too. Given that we seem to have trouble to maintain a technological advanced society for 150 years, and max a millenium in the past, 5 billion years seems to be a long stretch.
There's a great reply to that, but it might tread into politics.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Plans for charging infrastructure for large commercial trucks.

Was wondering what connection they will use for megawatt charging. Apparently there is work on a developing standard which Tesla is also on board with.

I do still wonder about a large charge area depicted in the above article in regards to power to supply it. Seems it would need to have one of the major power lines nearby to be of enough capacity.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the subject of sarcasm...

1682876551488.png
This is the Car and Driver audience response to whether the California ICE truck ban will be good or bad. I suppose 64% of people are being sarcastic.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, by that point we'd better have perfected force field domes and some really, really good insulation for mother earth!
lol i assume when you say "we" you mean the race of beings collectively still living on earth - no guarantee that it's humans either!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/14/cars/ford-job-cuts-europe/index.html

Ford has announced plans to axe 3,800 jobs across Europe, citing difficult economic conditions and its major push toward electric vehicles.

The US carmaker said Tuesday that it would cut about 2,300 jobs in Germany, 1,300 in the United Kingdom and 200 across the rest of Europe over the next three years. The layoffs will be made in the company’s product development and administrative departments.

The cuts amount to about 11% of Ford’s staff in the region.

Collateral damage, or was it going to happen anyway?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Ford has announced plans to axe 3,800 jobs across Europe, citing difficult economic conditions and its major push toward electric vehicles.

The US carmaker said Tuesday that it would cut about 2,300 jobs in Germany, 1,300 in the United Kingdom and 200 across the rest of Europe over the next three years. The layoffs will be made in the company’s product development and administrative departments.

Ford is not alone nor the auto industry. It is happening in all business sectors with an apparent slow down in the economy. McDonald's is laying off hundreds of their staff. Is that collateral damage from electrification of automobiles? If anything, it indicates that Ford thinks EVs are important enough they'll cut in other places. The fact there are cuts is not due to a push toward EVs.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Interesting... Perhaps it is part of the migration to populate North American auto manufacturing and it's battery fab too. Lots of investment occurring right now in the North American auto sector.

Marc v E

Major Contributor

According to what I learned from watching Munro, an ev is more akin to a computer on wheels than an ice car.

I'm not surprised at all by this news abour layoffs. In fact I'm pretty sure Ford divided its company into 2 entities, one for ice manufacturing, one for evs to make rapid and necessary changes.

China sales for ice cars are dropping fast.
Ev sales and especially their own are rising.

The US has more financial incentives to manufacture batteries and evs than any country in Europe.

So I'm definately in the "was going to happen anyway" corner.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to what I learned from watching Munro, an ev is more akin to a computer on wheels than an ice car.
Pretty much every ICEV made today is a computer on wheels. The 90s was around when the last new car was sold in the US without computers to run the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom