• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL I was going to say "WOW, helium as an energy is amazing!!"
Lol... I've been mixing up helium and hydrogen for decades. Something about the two I interchange them easily. I know the difference it's just some sort of mental slip. :D

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I am kind of waiting for the penny to drop that an urban EV can be a pod-like thing instead of a full-sized sedan. It can have a small emotor and modest battery with enough range for urban stuff, and enough tech for crash avoidance, all at a fraction of the price of current new icemobiles.

Cue much jeering and chortling from the bleachers in reply to the above vision. And that, dear reader, is the real issue. Cars are ego padding and gratification, not minimalist humble transport. So are motorbikes (I speak from the heart on that one). Half of us resent that our future EVs won't bellow and roar to announce our arrival.

So...it's not just the manufacturers. The buyers also want EVs to be like-for-like replacements of the cars, car-trucks, and motorcycles that we are so attached to. And on a like-for-like basis, such vehicles will cost more for a few years yet.

Overall, we don't want a new world with new ways. We want today's world but with its problems managed away - preferably out of sight with zero impact on our lifestyle behaviours and ego gratifications.

cheers
Share riding like Uber/Lyft is that transitionary state. My teen son prefers Uber rather than driving with all the accountability that comes with it.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They still use the combustion engine on 2024 model:

E-Class 2024
I hope they don’t do away with the 3l inline-6 diesel (400d) which is just awesome, very powerful and quite frugal.

JktHifi

I hope they don’t do away with the 3l inline-6 diesel (400d) which is just awesome, very powerful and quite frugal.
Yes, I like inline six straight engine because it’s simple. I ever found one of cylinder in V6 is missing inside, might be swallowed by the engine block.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first chuckle of the day. The Corvette Forum still sends me mail even though I haven't owned one for years. If you get an E-Ray you have to park it at least 30 feet from buildings or other vehicles and no track time.

bans-e-ray-from-competition

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
California is at it again. Now it's truck and buses.

Fortunately garbage trucks get an exemption until 2042.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I was going to say "WOW, helium as an energy is amazing!!"

When the Sun starts burning helium (as it is expected to), look out.

It'll be a while before that happens, though.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
California is at it again. Now it's truck and buses.

Fortunately garbage trucks get an exemption until 2042.

On what planet are billions in unsaved health costs, which means immense health problems leading to suffering and death, somehow fortunate? Ohhh... because somebody gets to make a fortune of the deaths of others. Got it. Roger, roger.
What preconceptions are those?
Anti-science, for one. They probably use tube amps for the microdetails.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On what planet are billions in unsaved health costs, which means immense health problems leading to suffering and death, somehow fortunate? Ohhh... because somebody gets to make a fortune of the deaths of others. Got it. Roger, roger.
I was being sarcastic. Lighten up.
Anti-science, for one. They probably use tube amps for the microdetails.
That's a new one on me. I can think of several others, but anti-science is fresh. I'm amused because when we owned Corvettes most of the other owners I met or knew were engineers and a couple of MDs. Of course, that was almost 15 years ago. Maybe things are different now.

Around 2005 I was working in a three story office building with glass-walled stairways. My office was on the third floor, so I used the stairs a lot. One day I drove my wife's yellow 2003 Z06 to work for some reason (probably some rattle she wanted debugged), and got a parking spot close to that stairway, visible from the stairs. As I'm walking down near noon headed to the cafe, I see two young women standing there and pointing towards the parking lot. As I pass them I overheard what they're saying. They were making comments about a yellow Corvette. One of them said, "I wonder what that guy's compensating for?" and they both laughed. I thought that was pretty funny too, so I stopped and told them, "It's my wife's car, and last time I checked she wasn't compensating for anything." They were speechless, but I sure enjoyed it a lot.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps they were speechless at the crazy notion that women with hot cars are automatically not compensating.
That's ridiculous. They were speechless because they were caught saying something entirely inappropriate in a modern US office environment by another employee.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
When the Sun starts burning helium (as it is expected to), look out.

It'll be a while before that happens, though.

Yeah, by that point we'd better have perfected force field domes and some really, really good insulation for mother earth!

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, by that point we'd better have perfected force field domes and some really, really good insulation for mother earth!
Or just construct a Dyson Sphere around the misbehaving sun!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well considering the helium thing is happening we are talking at least 5 billion years into the future. Does anyone think evolution has halted and in a period as long as all of life took to reach this point on earth there will be a thing called humans? Or if so they'll be incredibly different from us humans. Current humans aren't in a state of permanence. Maybe they'll be worried about solar climate change by then.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was being sarcastic. Lighten up.

That's a new one on me. I can think of several others, but anti-science is fresh. I'm amused because when we owned Corvettes most of the other owners I met or knew were engineers and a couple of MDs. Of course, that was almost 15 years ago. Maybe things are different now.

Around 2005 I was working in a three story office building with glass-walled stairways. My office was on the third floor, so I used the stairs a lot. One day I drove my wife's yellow 2003 Z06 to work for some reason (probably some rattle she wanted debugged), and got a parking spot close to that stairway, visible from the stairs. As I'm walking down near noon headed to the cafe, I see two young women standing there and pointing towards the parking lot. As I pass them I overheard what they're saying. They were making comments about a yellow Corvette. One of them said, "I wonder what that guy's compensating for?" and they both laughed. I thought that was pretty funny too, so I stopped and told them, "It's my wife's car, and last time I checked she wasn't compensating for anything." They were speechless, but I sure enjoyed it a lot.
Your sarcasm is a bit too dry for the internet. This is what emojis are for.

walk_the_plank.gif

The NCCC banning the E-Ray is anti-science. MDs are not usually scientists. Engineers aren't usually scientists either. When those in power who aren't in the know but think they are make poor decisions, people suffer. I'm never getting an E-Ray, so I'm not personally targeted, but I'll not join an NCCC event if I do get a Z06. If they can make one anti-science decision, God only knows what other chicanery goes on at their events.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Well considering the helium thing is happening we are talking at least 5 billion years into the future. Does anyone think evolution has halted and in a period as long as all of life took to reach this point on earth there will be a thing called humans? Or if so they'll be incredibly different from us humans. Current humans aren't in a state of permanence. Maybe they'll be worried about solar climate change by then.

Hopefully there will be something, but can't be humanity as it presently stands.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Hopefully there will be something, but can't be humanity as it presently stands.
I think it's very interesting how little notion we as humans give to long term survival. And strange too. Given that we seem to have trouble to maintain a technological advanced society for 150 years, and max a millenium in the past, 5 billion years seems to be a long stretch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom