• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lucas became known as the Prince of Darkness.
LUCUS electrical systems:
They should've used the next letter (of the alphabet) for the first letter of the company's name... would have been more appropriate!:eek:
I thought you meant TR6 like my 650 ride in the 70's.
I had a friend's g/f as my mistress... o_O... her name was 'Bonnie' and I must admit she was simple, yet simply the best that I rode!
She was the re-badged 1977 T140V!

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It reads as though Bosch had developed the system and charged Mercedes a great deal per unit compared to the old system, because it had to recoup R&D costs. Ie it was not yet implemented at scale. When customers complained about software failures, Mercedes got fed up with Bosch and cancelled the deal altogether.

I suspect that above reported issues are very much caused by the way it was implemented, not the technology in itself. What I mean by that is that I heard a few times that electrical systems are inherently more reliable over time than hydraulic systems. Furthermore you can fix those problems with OTA updates, no recall necessary. I'm not so sure the system would be more expensive if applied to scale. And I would expect a few electrical wires to need less maintenance than hydraulic fueled pipes, because it contains no moving parts. We will see if it works out this time. My guess is it will based on the fact that cars will become all electrical and that inherently the solution is less costly when applied at scale.
Auto manufacturers despise mechanical and hydraulic systems. They are more difficult to assemble during manufacturing, and they require periodic maintenance (like brake fluid changes). Already vacuum operated power brakes are being supplanted by electric motors providing the assist, and power steering has been going electric rather than hydraulic for quite some time. Brake by wire would definitely be cheaper to install and maintain than hydraulic brakes. Ah, but anything requiring software control is not an engineering strength of the automobile industry. I suspect that Bosch is a lot better at software than they were twenty years ago, but I suspect the system integration problem at the auto manufacturers' level, other than Tesla, still needs a lot of maturation.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Subscriber-only article just out, sorry no link available.
The revolution is a case study in how much further we have to go
By David Wallace-Wells

It is striking that in the same year that Tesla’s stock price dropped by about two-thirds, destroying more than $700 billion in market value, the global market for electric vehicles — which for so long the company seemed almost to embody — actually boomed.

Boom may not even adequately communicate what happened. Around the world, E.V. sales were projected to have grown 60 percent in 2022, according to a BloombergNEF report prepared ahead of the 2022 U.N. climate conference COP27, bringing total sales over 10 million. There are now almost 30 million electric vehicles on the road in total, up from just 10 million at the end of 2020. E.V. market share has also tripled since 2020.

The pandemic years can feel a bit like a vacuum, but there are almost three times as many E.V.s on the world’s roads now as there were when Covid vaccines were first approved, and what looked not that long ago like a climate pipe dream is now undeniably underway: a genuine transition away from fossil-fueled transportation. This week, the Biden administration released a blueprint toward a net zero transportation sector by 2050. It’s an ambitious goal, especially for such a car-intoxicated culture as ours. But it’s also one that, thanks to trends elsewhere in the world, is beginning to seem more and more plausible, at least on the E.V. front.

In Norway, electric vehicles now represent four out of every five new cars sold; the figure was just one in five as recently as 2016. In Germany, more than 55 percent of new cars registered in December were electric or hybrid. In China, where more electric vehicles are sold than everywhere else in the world combined, the rise is perhaps even more dramatic: from 3.5 percent of the market at the beginning of 2020 to 20.3 percent at the beginning of 2022. And growing, of course: Nearly twice as many electric vehicles were sold last year in China as in the year before. The country also exported $3.2 billion worth of E.V.s last November alone, more than double the exports of the previous November. Its largest single manufacturer, BYD, has surpassed Tesla for global market share — so perhaps it should not be so surprising that Tesla’s stock is dimming while the global outlook is so sunny.

This is not just eye-popping growth, it is also dramatically faster than most analysts were projecting just a few years ago. In 2020, the International Energy Agency projected that the global share of electric vehicle sales would not top 10 percent before 2030. It appears we’ve already crossed that bar eight years early, and BloombergNEF now projects that the market share of E.V.s will approach 40 percent by the end of the decade. (The I.E.A. is less bullish but has still roughly doubled its 2030 projection in just two years.) The underlying production capacity is perhaps even more encouraging. In the United States, investments in battery manufacturing reached a record $73 billion last year — three times as much as the previous record, set the year before. Globally, battery manufacturing capacity grew almost 40 percent last year, and is projected to grow fivefold by just 2025. By that year, lithium mining is expected to be triple what it was in 2021.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not just eye-popping growth, it is also dramatically faster than most analysts were projecting just a few years ago
What could possibly go wrong?
We are not even at a stage to discuss the unintended consequences. (Cat.#2)
Rumsfeld's "the unknown unknowns" are not even in the horizon yet. Cat#3)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How does it do with those faint hard water spots? I’m trying to avoid having mine clay-barred.
I don't know. I used Zymol on my ride a couple times before switching. Zymol is a mild polishing wax and took care of those spots prior to my changing to the Meguirs. I didn't have much of that anyway.

Clay bar treatments are not much worse than one paste wax job to do. So might be worth doing that first.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Clay bar treatments are not much worse than one paste wax job to do. So might be worth doing that first.
I agree. A clay bar used with a good lubricant (I use Griots original Speed Shine as a lube, but there are many alternatives) can make you realize that a finish you thought was clean was really covered with a zillion little bits of gunk. If this is anyone's first go at paint clay, I recommend watching a few YouTube videos for pointers. Especially concerning masking off the edges of paint protection film and flat black plastic trim. Clay also works wonders on glass.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stop water spots Tip: Use an auto detergent (they have surfactants to sheet off water). Don't worry about detergents drying on surfaces and complete the whole car wash before rinsing. Rinse quickly with light spray. Immediately use leaf blower to knock off 90% of the water. Dry with a towel and hit pre-dried panels with that towel when it's damp.

Also auto detergent is great for cleaning high hard to reach exterior home windows and, again, don't worry about it drying on there and do adjacent windows before rinsing.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Stop water spots Tip: Use an auto detergent (they have surfactants to sheet off water). Don't worry about detergents drying on surfaces and complete the whole car wash before rinsing. Rinse quickly with light spray. Immediately use leaf blower to knock off 90% of the water. Dry with a towel and hit pre-dried panels with that towel when it's damp.

Also auto detergent is great for cleaning high hard to reach exterior home windows and, again, don't worry about it drying on there and do adjacent windows before rinsing.
Yes, I have moderately hard water. Enough you have trouble getting windows clean without those spots. Using this Hydrid Ceramic wax has made it a total non-issue for getting those spots in the first place.

Now where I live half the year it is too hot to do the whole car even in the shade. So you will need to wet it down. I just mist it I don't rinse the whole thing until done. The water here is hard enough if you don't keep it moist you'll end up with spots. Or you would until I started using this new wax stuff.

And if someone doesn't know, yes use auto or car wash detergent. So many people use dish washing or other soap. That will strip off all the wax you may have on the car.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. A clay bar used with a good lubricant (I use Griots original Speed Shine as a lube, but there are many alternatives) can make you realize that a finish you thought was clean was really covered with a zillion little bits of gunk. If this is anyone's first go at paint clay, I recommend watching a few YouTube videos for pointers. Especially concerning masking off the edges of paint protection film and flat black plastic trim. Clay also works wonders on glass.
Old school comment on glass. Clay does work great on glass. Back in the olden days, you could use newsprint from the news paper. The black ink was like a fine polishing compound. Great to wad it up and rub over your windows after the wash to remove any build up and make them clear and shiny. Just the glass windows.

And do use some lubricant for clay bars. I use Meguirs Quick detailer, but any of the quick speed wax products will do the job. Griots is good stuff.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Lucas became known as the Prince of Darkness. Their fuel injection system was even worse had a Triumph with Lucas Fuel Injection.

At least they had a sense of humour:

1673505438921.png

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just mist it I don't rinse the whole thing until done.
What I'm saying is, first rinse hard to remove the dirt, use the two bucket system to wash it, letting the soap dry in some places it air is warm, and rinse a second time all at once.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What I'm saying is, first rinse hard to remove the dirt, use the two bucket system to wash it, letting the soap dry in some places it air is warm, and rinse a second time all at once.
Do this with water I have and you'll get spots. Do this with water where I lived a few years back and no problem. Two different water systems.

I have to use vinegar on all my faucets about twice per year or they slowly clog up.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do this with water I have and you'll get spots. Do this with water where I lived a few years back and no problem. Two different water systems.

I have to use vinegar on all my faucets about twice per year or they slowly clog up.
I have hard well water and have softener but not in my separate garage where the cars are. The car soap guys know this about hard water. Like you I used to mist often but now I don't care if soap is wet or dry and rinse once and dry quickly. the leaf blower cuts dry time in half. Anyway works for me.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Use rainwater on my BMW, the tap water is pretty hard and leaves a white film after using it to wash the car. Even worse the film is hard and gritty.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Use rainwater on my BMW, the tap water is pretty hard and leaves a white film after using it to wash the car. Even worse the film is hard and gritty.
Wow, rainwater is anything but pure water. Might be good to remove mineral deposits but IDK about using it for a final rinse. Any chemists who can advise us?

UK chart is newest available (2020/2021)
1673637662796.png

The US used to have filthy rain but it's mainly cleaned up now.
wss-property-ph-map-acid-rain.gif

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Wow, rainwater is anything but pure water. Might be good to remove mineral deposits but IDK about using it for a final rinse. Any chemists who can advise us?

UK chart is newest available (2020/2021)
View attachment 256884
The US used to have filthy rain but it's mainly cleaned up now.
wss-property-ph-map-acid-rain.gif
True rainwater will be slightly acidic, compared with our tap water it’s fairly pure.

Newman

Major Contributor
True rainwater will be slightly acidic, compared with our tap water it’s fairly pure.
Sure…if it falls straight into your garden hose. But if it hits a dusty roof, then into roof gutters that have been collecting birdpoo for years, then into a tank that has algae up the sides, a population of encephalitis-bearing mosquitoes on the surface, and four drowned, bloated and decomposing rats in the bottom…then one thing it is not is fairly pure.

cheers

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure…if it falls straight into your garden hose. But if it hits a dusty roof, then into roof gutters that have been collecting birdpoo for years, then into a tank that has algae up the sides, a population of encephalitis-bearing mosquitoes on the surface, and four drowned, bloated and decomposing rats in the bottom…then one thing it is not is fairly pure.

cheers
Come on, all of that has been worked out.
1673647887594.png

I remember growing up it was common to see gutters feeding a simple system. A wooden barrel or steel drum. They had a setup where the first 5 gallons which has the dirt filled a 5 gallon bucket that once it filled swung out of the way and let it go to the barrel. Some even had a window screen over the top of the barrel. It was used for watering plants, small gardens or maybe some animals drinking water. Don't recall it used for washing anything, but I guess it could have been.

Newman

Major Contributor
The ‘simple systems’ are more common than you think. I mean, the dirty ICE has been ‘worked out’ by building the EV. Doesn’t mean it’s universally adopted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom