• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your help with my first speaker build

Henryk

Hello,

I've read this site for years now and would like to start my first speaker project!
After quite a bit of research on my own, I could really use a hand. My goal is:
To inexpensively replicate/exceed the sound quality of my old Altec Santana 879A speakers.
[NOTE: The cabinets and rubber were untouched from 1970 and the amplifier in question is a Bryston B-60]

I'm certainly no sound expert but I loved the full tone of the 15" bi-flex woofer.
Tweeter left a bit to be desired, but given the age I expected as much.

While this is indeed my first DIY speaker, my uncle is a master carpenter & cabinet maker.
He's never done this before but his knowledge of woodworking is exceptional.

With the ability to customize a cabinet to any configuration of components,
can I affordably construct a better speaker than I was used to?

As far as budget goes, I'd rather not go above $1,000 CAD for the woofer/tweeter/crossover parts.
However, I know there can be serious diminishing returns after you pass a sweet spot.
Can someone also educate me on what general level of sound quality I can expect for a rough $ range?

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to lend their expertise!
- Henry

PS... More information if you need it:
- This is for a 400 sq/ft apartment room enjoyed at low/moderate volume
- There's no genre of music I play more than any other
- The Bryston B-60 amplifier outputs 60W/channel @ 8ohm, 100W/channel @ 4ohm
- My old Altec 879A's were 8ohm impedance with 95-100db efficiency (I believe)
- If pre-made cabinets would perform just like a custom job, that's okay too
- I'd also be happy using a well proven parts list & schematic
- As for max. cabinet size, can we keep it close to my old 879A's?
- Would prefer a min. 12"woofer size - unless you advise otherwise
- Coaxial or separate tweeter, active or passive; whatever produces the best sound quality
- I'm located in Canada but don't mind buying from USA/international if they'll ship to me

Zek

Major Contributor
I think it would be better if you asked your question on a specialized DIY site for building speakers.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I would recommend this thread: My experience with DIY and it's many frustrations that are not talked about

There is also Beranek's Law which means you will be convinced what you've built is brilliant

It's simply unlikely that you will be able to do this more cheaply than buying from major manufacturers. If you are setting out to learn only, then you may have fun, and you may be lucky and successful, but the odds are stacked against you.

AudiOhm

Speaker design has come a long way since the 70's.

If you are in Canada, Solen would be a good start.

They have kits that are already designed for you, build your cabinets and purchase the components from them.

Solen Kits

Some good designs here

DIY Loudspeaker Troels Gravesen

Ohms

moonlight rainbow dream

My first recommendation would be to actually get out there to shops or even Best Buy (whatever options are available to you) and listen to a lot of speakers (especially ones that have been shown to measure well here or at Erin's Audio Corner). Coming from a lot of listening time on an older design that is probably really "uncouth" from the perspective of modern speaker design, I think it's important to recalibrate your expectations and figure out what exactly it is you want from a set of speakers.

With that out of the way, I think an "econowave" type speaker would best suit what you're looking for. This is a big box speaker that uses large pro audio woofer and horn+compression driver, but executed in a way that reflects our best current understanding of good speaker performance (basically targeting smooth and flat anechoic axial response with excellent directivity control).

Something like this:

hex168

My first recommendation would be to actually get out there to shops or even Best Buy (whatever options are available to you) and listen to a lot of speakers (especially ones that have been shown to measure well here or at Erin's Audio Corner). Coming from a lot of listening time on an older design that is probably really "uncouth" from the perspective of modern speaker design, I think it's important to recalibrate your expectations and figure out what exactly it is you want from a set of speakers.

With that out of the way, I think an "econowave" type speaker would best suit what you're looking for. This is a big box speaker that uses large pro audio woofer and horn+compression driver, but executed in a way that reflects our best current understanding of good speaker performance (basically targeting smooth and flat anechoic axial response with excellent directivity control).

Something like this:

Looking at that design, the selected waveguide is too small to control beamwidth below about 1300-1400 Hz, too high to expect good midrange from a 15".

Compare to this, which has a better match between the drivers, but requires a sub. Which I think is a better compromise:

OP
H

Henryk

I would recommend this thread: My experience with DIY and it's many frustrations that are not talked about

There is also Beranek's Law which means you will be convinced what you've built is brilliant

It's simply unlikely that you will be able to do this more cheaply than buying from major manufacturers. If you are setting out to learn only, then you may have fun, and you may be lucky and successful, but the odds are stacked against you.

The problem is that I can't find any modern speakers with drivers 12" or bigger, that aren't subwoofers.
Do you know of any sub-$1,000 that you'd recommend?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is that I can't find any modern speakers with drivers 12" or bigger, that aren't subwoofers.
There are speakers with woofers larger than 12", but they do tend to cost more than $1000. Maybe the used market....or diy if you count your building and finishing time "free"....

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I don't, sorry.

OP
H

Henryk

There are speakers with woofers larger than 12", but they do tend to cost more than $1000. Maybe the used market....or diy if you count your building and finishing time "free"....
I don't, sorry.

If I removed that budget stipulation
, could you point me in the direction of anything 12"+ that either of you would recommend?
From a manufacturer, or a DIY kit - whatever performs best.

hex168

Here is a known good, if expensive DIY project. If the parts are still available when I retire, I may go for it myself:

Lots of measurements in this thread (note that the attempt at adding a midrange was a blind alley, predictable due to directivity mismatch):

And measurements of the original:

Parts source:

Can't forget the logo:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Altec produced many superb drivers and loudspeaker systems (I am a big fan of the big Altec sound).
The Santana... wasn't really one of them, though. :(
(although the earlier Santana morph using the Biflex woofer and an Altec cone tweeter was superior to the later morph using rather generic drivers)

That said, you might want to start here, @Henryk

PHOTO-2021-05-31-19-34-43_300x300.jpg

a tad pricey, though. ;)

Vintage Biflexes (12" and 15") aren't particularly hard to find and aren't obscenely expensive.

OP
H

Henryk

Altec produced many superb drivers and loudspeaker systems (I am a big fan of the big Altec sound).
The Santana... wasn't really one of them, though. :(
(although the earlier Santana morph using the Biflex woofer and an Altec cone tweeter was superior to the later morph using rather generic drivers)

Vintage Biflexes (12" and 15") aren't particularly hard to find and aren't obscenely expensive.

M.Hardy6647,
Believe it or not, but the GPA 415-8B was the exact same product I was looking at a few years ago, when I was intent on salvaging the Santana cabinets and simply swapping woofers. The problem which I could not overcome at the time was that the company itself recommended a different, custom-built cabinet. Such a task exceeded my abilities at the time. As you eluded to, Biflex drivers seem like an abandoned design, but much like yourself I greatly enjoy the sound they reproduce.

Long story short, I had to sell the Altec Santanas and I am now looking for something to replace them. Almost everyone I mention this to says that technology has some so far since the 70's that I'd just be chasing a sonically inferior setup. However, in the back of my mind I remember that Tannoy still uses similar goods in their Westminster Royal. My imagination has limits though...

While I have your attention, though:
Do you have any other suggestions on where I could/should look to scratch "that Altec itch"? :)

Thank you, sir!

OP
H

Henryk

Here is a known good, if expensive DIY project. If the parts are still available when I retire, I may go for it myself:

Lots of measurements in this thread (note that the attempt at adding a midrange was a blind alley, predictable due to directivity mismatch):

And measurements of the original:

Parts source:

Can't forget the logo:

Hex,
I saw that exact same build just the other day while I was researching!
Looks like such a nice project, if not a bit intimidating to a novice like myself :confused:

Apart from labor, what do you estimate their budget to be?

Cheers!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The richness of the vintage Altec sound is seldom encountered and always satisfying.
If you like(d) the Santanas -- get a pair of Santiagos. No cachet with the Altec faithful, so they're not terribly expensive, but they lie midway on the axis between the Valencia (which are splenid and gloriously sensitive, but lack both bass and HF) and the Nineteen (which fix some of those shortcomings, but with a very big box and a very high price tag).

I wouldn't kid you! :)

If what you want, first and foremost, is the midrange richness, here's a nice DIY option. I'd love to go this route, but 414s are hard to find :( and the plastic variants of the Altec 32 horns (widely held to be the best morph of these Western Electric semi-copies) have gotten pricey. I do have a pair of the aluminum Altec 32 horns, but they're currently out on loan.

DSCF2124.jpg

DSCF1941.jpg

... so... no... I wouldn't necessarily go new to rekindle your Santana experience. ;)

Are there technically better drivers and horns than the Altec products? Sure. Do they satisfy like the Altecs (dollar for dollar spent, in 2023)? Well... that is harder to answer. Actually, it's impossible to answer generically. By the same token, it's easy for me to answer personally.

PS The Altec hardware that I really, really like -- I cannot rationalize the expenditure for. :(
My big biggish "Frankenaltecs" do fine for me for a reasonable (to me) investment. I am happy enough.

Here's the cabinet design (meant for 604 Duplexes, which is how I started with them) -- FWIW:

Last edited:

hex168

Hex,
I saw that exact same build just the other day while I was researching!
Looks like such a nice project, if not a bit intimidating to a novice like myself :confused:

Apart from labor, what do you estimate their budget to be?

Cheers!
The parts I listed cost $1,358 per speaker, plus shipping. On top of that, you would need materials for a roughly 5 cubic foot cabinet, which can be anything from unfinished MDF to furniture-grade with a cost that varies accordingly, also ports, fill, terminals, screws, etc.

M2s, as an active system, require separate amps for the woofers and tweeters and depend on DSP. A pair of Crown XLS1502s (about $400 each, cheaper if used) should do if you have a reasonably large listening distance. If not, you may need a less noisy amp (Buckeye looks interesting). A minidsp would be adequate for DSP, they have lots of options (the 2x4HD starts at $225) depending on how you want to set up your system. Others here can advise on that.

All that said, an end-game system would be a challenging place to start for a first DIY project. All the information is out there, but I'd consider starting with something simpler, as I mentioned in post #7. It depends on how ambitious you feel, and if you think you need something like an M2. (I admit I am seriously considering it at a retirement project in a couple of years. I'm torn; I'm also considering my first serious multichannel system and nine DIY M2s are out of the question.)

Regardless of what you choose to build, a measurement microphone and REW are needed to check your work.

OP
H

Henryk

The richness of the vintage Altec sound is seldom encountered and always satisfying.
If you like(d) the Santanas -- get a pair of Santiagos. No cachet with the Altec faithful, so they're not terribly expensive, but they lie midway on the axis between the Valencia (which are splenid and gloriously sensitive, but lack both bass and HF) and the Nineteen (which fix some of those shortcomings, but with a very big box and a very high price tag).

I wouldn't kid you! :)

You, my friend, are an "enabler" :D

If I want the Altec sound, should I not just build the cabinets for the GPA 415-8B and be done?
'New' driver/old tech, same sound (or no?)

OP
H

Henryk

The parts I listed cost $1,358 per speaker, plus shipping. On top of that, you would need materials for a roughly 5 cubic foot cabinet, which can be anything from unfinished MDF to furniture-grade with a cost that varies accordingly, also ports, fill, terminals, screws, etc.

M2s, as an active system, require separate amps for the woofers and tweeters and depend on DSP. A pair of Crown XLS1502s (about $400 each, cheaper if used) should do if you have a reasonably large listening distance. If not, you may need a less noisy amp (Buckeye looks interesting). A minidsp would be adequate for DSP, they have lots of options (the 2x4HD starts at $225) depending on how you want to set up your system. Others here can advise on that.

All that said, an end-game system would be a challenging place to start for a first DIY project. All the information is out there, but I'd consider starting with something simpler, as I mentioned in post #7. It depends on how ambitious you feel, and if you think you need something like an M2. (I admit I am seriously considering it at a retirement project in a couple of years. I'm torn; I'm also considering my first serious multichannel system and nine DIY M2s are out of the question.)

Regardless of what you choose to build, a measurement microphone and REW are needed to check your work.

That's so cheap!

How much to get a good setup for DSP room correction on top of it?

Top Bottom