• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference vs Reference Meta

Groovemandel

I have a KEF Reference 3 and it really puts a smile on my face every time I start listening to it. Yesterday I listened to the Reference 3 Meta and I feel the treble on them feels more open and less bity. Also vocals sound less boxy somehow. Probably the meta driver is doing a great job that I felt like it’s really a better speaker. I still like mine for it’s different sound, with more warmer mids. I didn’t feel the bass to be any different. Is there any change in woofers and cabinet between the References and Reference Metas? From the pictures I can see the arrangement of damping materials is not the same between Reference 5 and 5 meta(I couldn’t find any pictures of Reference 3 and 3 Meta).

Since I couldn’t try them in the same room may be the judgement on bass is not right, and probably the new one has better bass but my old one sounded good because of better damping in my room.

Ciobi69

honestly i wouldn't have an opinion on it if listened in a different room, thats the main factor, i wouldn't draw any conclusion, the improvement is there, but its worth it? maybe 5% better but at what cost

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The reference 3 meta is on another level, with better bass. Improvement should be on the woofers and cabins too. Not just on uniq.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:
Top Bottom