• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your favorite listening chair?

Glen20

Ultimate Eames listening chair ??
AFFFBF22-F455-45D6-9759-5C74C4E9161C.jpeg

Just Maybe need to swivel the stool to push start and stop.

https://www.core77.com/posts/20930/...-exhibition-next-week-plus-exclusive-qa-20930

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't pulled the trigger on a chair for the 2.x channel system yet - wife is insisting the Herman Miller Goetz sofa go on the side of the space, so I need one! - but this is the current front-runner of chairs I've tried out:

bc1_chrknv_wl_34frontlow.jpg

https://www.bludot.com/buttercup-chair.html

My wife and I agree that it would look good in the living room. I was surprised at how comfortable it was when I tried it. I had very low expectations buy was blown away. Pricing also seems fair.

The main reason I haven't pulled the trigger is I still haven't had a chance to visit the local DWR x Herman Miller Design Center (h/t @Midwest Blade). The secondary reason is my expectation that cats will come up from the back and scratch up shirts or sweaters.

Glen20

I have the said fancy pansy ones (though from Back When they weren't so screechingly pricey):
HM Eames chair and ottoman,
The three seat large softpad sofa in walnut (pretty rare, I gather)
LCW lounge chair (plywood),
alum group chair (1),
DCM side (dining) chairs and
DSX (fiberglass, orginals from my parents in the 50s!).
Sold the Sofa Compact as it tried to kill your back if you did anything but sit up perferctly straight in it!

All the others are reasonably comfortable for short periods.
I use the chair/ottoman as my main LC, but did add sheepskin to protect from cats and make it a bit more comfortable and less slippery - but the regular size one is really too small for 6+ footers and can get pretty uncomfortable. (The large one was not availble when I bought).
But a good friend who is Ray Eame's size (under 5') loves the chair/ottoman and has laid claim to it eventually.

Weirdly, after all that 'investment' I still find the extra big Lazy Boy recliner by far the most comfortable of them all!!
But it's 'not allowed' in the main listenting room with all the fancy pancy stuff ;)

I am 6’1” and the original HM is not as comfortable on the body as it is on the eyes
The 2 Herman Miller and 2 Vitra are all different sizes. The foam is also much firmer in the vitra.
I had my couch custom made for my dimensions and use LCW as my listening chair.
https://eames.com/en/blog/blog-HermanVitra

ED8D3458-AB59-4F3A-B26B-80CFDB417D33.jpeg5B3B82ED-536A-47A9-A07B-501E1C72F8C4.png

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I saw this chair in a Hobbit movie and thought it would be fun to build. I think @amirm should use a chair like this when he films his YouTube videos, the all wise and all hearing kinda image would gets tons of likes.

da da.jpg

da da2.jpg

Add in a pair of Elvish ears and you've got the whole package ;)

ears.jpg

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer an elevated seating position.

Attachments

• e5c83798a1d2a289309599ad2a9c8aa6.jpg
    e5c83798a1d2a289309599ad2a9c8aa6.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 93

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Chromecast Audio sitting on top of the Topping x50 stack is called "EasyListeningChair". Makes me smile when I cast from Plex and Spotify :)

20211102_213315 (Small).jpg

Waxx

Major Contributor
I just use my sofa, an 1970's bamboo with cushions in a kind of ribbed felt. It's the old set of my parents, but still in good shape and good looking. And it seems they came back in fashion (altough i already use them for over a decade). They are very similar to this one (i'm not at home so i can't take a picture).

vintage-mid-century-modern-rattan-and-bamboo-sofa-1058

jsrtheta

Have you looked into MAGIC UNION electric recliner? This recliner is very comfortable for sleeping, listening etc and you are guaranteed to have maximum relaxation with massage modes and heating. Furthermore, it doesn’t require much space and can be controlled with two remotes.
Two remotes? For what?

Adi777

fotel-masujacy-fujiiryoki-JP2000-aranz-1-2x.jpg

My little dream. Only the price is definitely not too little
1f601.png

But I promised myself that I would buy such an armchair or similar.

Soandso

My living room is small with a big window on one side opposite an open passageway. The remaining front to back walls are not very far apart, so the floor speaker placement option is limited.

After reading ASR threads about room treatments I moved my listening chair off the far wall and double hung 2 layers of wool blankets there. The more I read ASR the more I wanted to try influencing surface reflections.

I collected cast off wood to make a scaffold affixed to the chair legs for attaching absorbers to. Over time collecting clean couch cushions filled with batting fiber and pulling batting fiber from other pillows that various neighbors moving out had discarded I arrayed these on the scaffolding. For ceiling reflections I layered unwanted memory foam pads and bath towels atop a rope grid strung on the wood scaffold.

It certainly isn't going to win any design awards. However, using only things I already had laying around plus lots of street curb pickings it is what it is [That wood cross-bar dowel isn't acoustically related; it suspends a back massage "thumper" stored behind the chair back which I can bring forward.]

1A987A4F-0F0A-4523-A19F-84A3DC4B085B.jpeg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
My little dream. Only the price is definitely not too little
1f601.png

But I promised myself that I would buy such an armchair or similar.

That chair appears to be copied from the film Wall-E where the human fat blobs are ferried around in mobility chairs.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Working from home a lot lately and my $150 Office Depot chair isn't cutting it. Cushion flattened out a while ago, looking to see what you guys/gals are recommending.

I like (p)leather, but not a requirement. Willing to spend up to $600, whatcha guys liking?

I bought a Sidiz T50 about 18 months ago, it's been great - I work from home 95% of the time and it gets used in the evenings as well (so probably 10-12 hours use per day). I bought mine from Amazon UK, here's the link to the same chair on Amazon.com...

There are several reviews of the T50 on Youtube, e.g.

Note, the reviewer states that the T50 is made in the US, I think they're made in South Korea, mine certainly was.

Last edited:

Glen20

Working from home a lot lately and my $150 Office Depot chair isn't cutting it. Cushion flattened out a while ago, looking to see what you guys/gals are recommending.

I like (p)leather, but not a requirement. Willing to spend up to $600, whatcha guys liking?
That T50 looks great for the price
Lots of adjustments. In multiple directions
Arm hight and distance, lumbar, and seat pan tilt and slide is great for that price

Check out purple.com if you just need a cushion. They are way more expensive than all the cheap copies. But the cheap copies are a waste of money as they just squash down and offer no support.

Neddy

I've had my Herman Miller Aeron for >15 years now, and had them at work too. I think might barely be within your budget.
Easily the most comfortable office type chair I've ever used (and I was part of the infamous 'butt committee' at work that evaluated 20 different chairs b/c one staffer didn't like Herman Miller!).
Has been super durable. No head rest, tho.

tvih

I'm using a "generic" reclining chair for my main/HT setup:
Denver_5Frecl_5Fkiintea_1800x1800.jpg

And a "controller" type office chair for my desktop setup:
modeo-oma-lemans-xxl-tyotuoli-2-1280x1280.jpg

It took some doing to find a suitable office chair for a reasonable price that my butt would tolerate. Due to a back injury causing nerve damage sitting on a chair that's not soft enough quickly becomes first uncomfortable and then outright painful these days. That's why I basically sat in nothing but a recliner for years! That was my previous one, still have it but even the frame is bent, and cushions not exactly stellar either. Luckily in the end I was able to get this controller chair a year ago for just 600€ new, despite it normally costing twice that - thanks to excellent service from a local office furniture vendor who mainly do B2B; they even allowed free at-home testing first for a conventional chair that didn't work out and then this one, delivered and all, to ensure my butt comfort!

And then in Nov or Dec got the lightly used "new" recliner for 240€, normal retail price being 600€. Now my butt is reasonably comfortable on either of the two. They're not perfect, like the armrests on the office chair suck and the recliner requires an extra pillow for a comfortable head position when reclined, and getting the chair locked into normal position after reclining isn't implemented very well. Back support isn't entirely perfect in either of them, but manageable. Getting any better would be a costly consideration indeed.

DavidMcRoy

IKEA Poang Chair and Ottoman

Attachments

• D1525705-D5B8-4770-9BD5-A90BF8106ECF.jpeg
    D1525705-D5B8-4770-9BD5-A90BF8106ECF.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 62
Top Bottom