• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

You can't hear the difference between Dx3pro and Atom/Topping D50s?

Fregly

I know the answer to this, I think; but still, audiophile upgrade-itis is whispering to me and I've been thinking of replacing the Dx3pro with the Atom combo. I guess it would be nice to have a set up reaching near SOTA for not much money.

GPJ

I have both and ever since the headphone amp section of the DX3 Pro blew, it's been shelved even though the DAC section works fine. I am using the D50s and Atom .... one word ...AWESOME! I upgraded the volume knob on the Atom (look in the Atom thread) and it gives it a killer look as well as a great feel. Like mustard and ketchup ...... salt and pepper .... etc.. .....D50s and Atom are exemplary complimentary goods ......

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
You can get an Atom and try it with the DX3Pro first, to check if you can hear a difference. If not, at least you'll stack the Atom somewhere and be covered if the DX3Pro blows. No need to get a D50s too quickly, new DACs will come every month.

Fregly

You can get an Atom and try it with the DX3Pro first, to check if you can hear a difference. If not, at least you'll stack the Atom somewhere and be covered if the DX3Pro blows. No need to get a D50s too quickly, new DACs will come every month.
I was thinking that. The price of the Atom makes it not much of a decision.

Fregly

I have both and ever since the headphone amp section of the DX3 Pro blew, it's been shelved even though the DAC section works fine. I am using the D50s and Atom .... one word ...AWESOME! I upgraded the volume knob on the Atom (look in the Atom thread) and it gives it a killer look as well as a great feel. Like mustard and ketchup ...... salt and pepper .... etc.. .....D50s and Atom are exemplary complimentary goods ......
Nice little stack. It's crazy the level of sound available now for next to nothing in audiophile terms.

GPJ

Nice little stack. It's crazy the level of sound available now for next to nothing in audiophile terms.
You're spot on Fregly! It's a real blessing having access to Amirm test results. I am all about bang for buck and Amirm has steered me away from purchasing inferior gear. Quite honestly I was a Schiit buyer because of the decent specs they listed for the prices offered. I stumbled on this site about a year ago and thankfully was properly schooled on how devices should be implemented. At the end of it, the mighty Schiit seems to be indeed very run of the mill producer of electronic gear. All stories on this site are a real eye opener and the stories are still unfolding. Love to see insanely priced gear smashed to smithereens by testing as well as insanely priced gear behaving like insanely priced gear.

I also know about JDS Labs and the past ordeal its' creator went through to get the truth out and did (do) buy his products. It's stunning to me, especially on the USB front how fast things have improved. We are indeed getting top flight products that are insanely affordable. Good times for certain!

Top Bottom