• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha's "Physics of Bi-amping"

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I noticed in some receivers, if you use the XLR instead of the RCA connections…there’s a drop in db gain, just wondering about that, is that correct?
If you connect RCA to XLR you get a 6dB level drop. XLR to XLR should not give this compared to RCA to RCA

Hayabusa

I guess Yamaha thinks that wires are now nonlinear devices.

I wonder what other crazy beliefs Yamaha would like to share with us.

You can have other components in a speaker that can behave non-linear.
(magnets, the speaker suspension, voice coil, coils in the crossover)
Maybe that could create the interaction that Yamaha is talking about?

Last edited:

ddoppler

Forum Donor
If you connect RCA to XLR you get a 6dB level drop. XLR to XLR should not give this compared to RCA to RCA
Yes, thanks for the reply. I’m not sure I understand…I thought you’re only supposed to use either XLR or RCA??

As far as the db loss I was referring to earlier, using Balanced XLR to XLR (pre amp to external amp) was a specific amplifier by Rotel-1552 model number I think…Its data/spec sheet showed a 3-4db loss.

Hayabusa

Yes, thanks for the reply. I’m not sure I understand…I thought you’re only supposed to use either XLR or RCA??
You can convert one to the other by just wires. In that case only one of the two signal wires of XLR are used which results in half the signal amplitude (-6dB)

Hayabusa

As far as the db loss I was referring to earlier, using Balanced XLR to XLR (pre amp to external amp) was a specific amplifier by Rotel-1552 model number I think…Its data/spec sheet showed a 3-4db loss.

That should not happen. Do you have a reference to that spec?

ddoppler

Forum Donor
You can convert one to the other by just wires. In that case only one of the two signal wires of XLR are used which results in half the signal amplitude (-6dB)
Okay-thanks Hayabusa, appreciate your reply.

ddoppler

Forum Donor
I was just looking at amplifier options and came across it on Crutchfield I think…was looking at its spec sheet, they had it posted next to the manual info.

ddoppler

Forum Donor
I was just looking at amplifier options and came across it on Crutchfield I think…was looking at its spec sheet, they had it posted next to the manual info.

Did you find it? It’s on Crutchfieds site…RB-1552MKII.

Hayabusa

yes:

Gain
RCA: 26.5dB
XLR: 22.5dB

Indeed weird, I would expect a 6dB difference here in stead of 4.
With the same levels on the signals wires of XLR and RCA normally you would need 6dB less gain

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not necessarily. It depends on the type of balanced output. If it's centre-tapped (either transformer, or these days electronic), then yes one gets only half the signal. However, if the output is fully-floating (again either transformer or more commonly electronic) then you still get the full signal.

S.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The output from the RCA output of a preamplifier is usually 6 dB lower than the XLR's output of the same amplifier, that's probably almost always the case. That has nothing to do with "Gain". When you refer to gain, you will likely be referring the to the gain of the power amplifiers that have both XLR and RCA inputs. In that case, depending on the specific design of the power amplifier, you could have the following possibilities:

1) The gain will be the same whether you use the XLR or RCA inputs. Examples: many Hypex module based amps, the newer ATI amps, some Parasound amps.
2) The gain will be 6 dB lower if the XLR inputs are used. Examples: Bryston, Marantz, and many more..
3) The gain will be lower but not necessarily 6 dB lower if the XLR inputs are used. Examples: the Rotel amp you cited, some Outlaw amps.

If that spec is important to you, then all you have to do is to read the specifications and if it is not included in their documentation, contact the manufacturer.

Hayabusa

The output from the RCA output of a preamplifier is usually 6 dB lower than the XLR's output of the same amplifier, that's probably almost always the case. That has nothing to do with "Gain".

I was just quoting the gain of the power amplifier involved..

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know, I responded to ddoppler as in his previous posts I am not sure if he's talking about the differences between the XLR/RCA preamp outputs vs XLR/RCA power amp inputs.

Hayabusa

I know, I responded to ddoppler as in his previous posts I am not sure if he's talking about the differences between the XLR/RCA preamp outputs vs XLR/RCA power amp inputs.
He mentioned the RB-1552MKII.. A power amp.

ddoppler

Forum Donor
Awesome-Thanks Hayabusa, Peng, this is very helpful and makes it easier when researching the different options out there…trying to find the right and/or close match between the AVR/pre-amp and amp.

This is not easy-so again, much appreciated.

ddoppler

Forum Donor
It’s obviously more confusing when I’m not clear enough or using the correct terminology-you guys are awesome.

ddoppler

Forum Donor
Oh…yes Peng, I was just wondering about the differences between the two-as there’s the debate out there that you’ll get a cleaner sound-supposedly with using XLR cables as opposed to RCA cables. And then, I noticed that db loss on the Rotel amp if using the Balanced XLR cables and thought this was worth noting but, turned out, it wasn’t. Thanks Peng.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
XLR and RCA are just the connector types. There are also 2 different standard levels (voltages). The higher pro level helps decrease noise transfer.

XLRs, used to be standard in studios and never used in consumer gear. XLRs were always balanced and had pro level, sometimes the level was switchable. RCAs are always unbalanced and usually consumer level but the level can vary. When consumer manufacturers started putting XLRs on home equipment this changed. They had to drop the level to match other consumer gear. Now its a crap shoot. Check the specs or risk overloading an input.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
XLR and RCA are just the connector types. There are also 2 different standard levels (voltages). The higher pro level helps decrease noise transfer.

XLRs, used to be standard in studios and never used in consumer gear. XLRs were always balanced and had pro level, sometimes the level was switchable. RCAs are always unbalanced and usually consumer level but the level can vary. When consumer manufacturers started putting XLRs on home equipment this changed. They had to drop the level to match other consumer gear. Now its a crap shoot.
Indeed, although even Pro levels are also all over the place. US has +4dBu, UK has +8dBu, some of continental europe has +6dBu, and in the UK and most of Europe, 0dBFS digital corresponds to +18dBu, whilst a lot of other Pro equipment has 0dBFS corresponding to +22 or+24dBu.

Standards are great, that's why we have so many of them.

S.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Most digital recorders let you set 0dbfs. This is the head room. You should still be recording at 0VU. (+4dbu) and that should be your in/out levels.
Until the loudness wars take over.

Top Bottom