• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha Strange Design

Richardjhy

I have quite a few Yamaha vintage amps/receivers. Some of their design for impedance selection confused me.
AX-592 impedance selector shows 4 ohms min and 6 ohms min. Rail voltages are +-58v when selecting 6 ohms for speakers, and rail voltages are +-49v when in 4 ohms.
20230729_231609.jpg

Older model RX-V1070 impedance selector shows 8 ohms min and 6 ohms min. When I measured rail voltages, +- 58v when selecting 6 ohms and 49 ohms when switching to 8 ohms.
20230729_231919.jpg

Why 6 ohms speakers need higher rail voltages than 4 or 8 ohms speakers? Are 6 ohms speakers hardest to drive?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The amp in your first image has a 4 ohm or 6 ohm setting. It says A+B at 8 ohms (which will also be 4 ohms). It makes sense that a lower rail voltage into lower impedance might limit current to prevent the amp from having dissipation issues. 6 ohms would not draw as much current as 4 ohms speakers so a higher voltage would work without excess dissipation.

Are you sure you didn't get them backwards in the 2nd amp. It would appear to be backwards. Or maybe the old switch was labeled backwards. :eek:

JSmith

Master Contributor
@Richardjhy the pasted image is fine, but you also attached an image file which contains your email address... you may want to remove same for privacy.

JSmith

OP
R

Richardjhy

RX-V1070 was TOTL receiver by the time with huge transformer and heat sinks. It weights more than 40lbs.

OP
R

Richardjhy

The amp in your first image has a 4 ohm or 6 ohm setting. It says A+B at 8 ohms (which will also be 4 ohms). It makes sense that a lower rail voltage into lower impedance might limit current to prevent the amp from having dissipation issues. 6 ohms would not draw as much current as 4 ohms speakers so a higher voltage would work without excess dissipation.

Are you sure you didn't get them backwards in the 2nd amp. It would appear to be backwards. Or maybe the old switch was labeled backwards. :eek:
I double checked my measurement. I emailed and Yamaha replied that their design is normal.

D

Deleted member 48726

AX590 switch is between 4 or 8 ohm and the higher voltage is measured at the 8 ohm setting. This seems correct.

RX-V1070 switch is between 6 or 8 ohm and the higher voltage is measured at 6 ohm setting. This doesn't seem correct and goes against common logic.

OP
R

Richardjhy

AX590 switch is between 4 or 8 ohm and the higher voltage is measured at the 8 ohm setting. This seems correct.

RX-V1070 switch is between 6 or 8 ohm and the higher voltage is measured at 6 ohm setting. This doesn't seem correct and goes against common logic.
That's why I asked Yamaha but they said it's normal.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have quite a few Yamaha vintage amps/receivers. Some of their design for impedance selection confused me.
AX-592 impedance selector shows 4 ohms min and 6 ohms min. Rail voltages are +-58v when selecting 6 ohms for speakers, and rail voltages are +-49v when in 4 ohms.View attachment 302188
Older model RX-V1070 impedance selector shows 8 ohms min and 6 ohms min. When I measured rail voltages, +- 58v when selecting 6 ohms and 49 ohms when switching to 8 ohms.
View attachment 302189
Why 6 ohms speakers need higher rail voltages than 4 or 8 ohms speakers? Are 6 ohms speakers hardest to drive?
Well, that surely makes no sense to me.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I think I saw this explained somewhere before. I may be wrong... but

AX-592 has two pairs of speaker outputs A and B. When using both, you have to use the 8 Ohm speakers, and if you use one set only, you can then use 4 Ohm speakers. So it has the higher output.

The RX-V1070 has surround speaker outlets. The 6 Ohm output allows higher power in this case to all speakers. You shouldn't use 4 Ohm speakers with this amplifier.

However, what also happens is that when you switch to 6 Ohms, a stiffer protection circuit is switched in. It can draw more power in normal use, but can't manage to sustain peak output for as long: so it is protected against doing that.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Yes looks like first Amp switch is for 4 or 6 ohms, second is for 6 or 8 ohms.

OP
R

Richardjhy

I think I saw this explained somewhere before. I may be wrong... but

AX-592 has two pairs of speaker outputs A and B. When using both, you have to use the 8 Ohm speakers, and if you use one set only, you can then use 4 Ohm speakers. So it has the higher output.

The RX-V1070 has surround speaker outlets. The 6 Ohm output allows higher power in this case to all speakers. You shouldn't use 4 Ohm speakers with this amplifier.

However, what also happens is that when you switch to 6 Ohms, a stiffer protection circuit is switched in. It can draw more power in normal use, but can't manage to sustain peak output for as long: so it is protected against doing that.
Surround channels in RX-1070 use separate rails, rectifier bridge and filter caps from the transformer.

Top Bottom