• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-A8A (Japanese website)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Rating by the manufacturer isn't everything, tho. Doesn't mean it will stress it to its limits necessarily (maybe at very high volume levels). Many avrs do just fine with 4 ohm loads despite no "rating" particularly. Like many 4 ohm rated amps won't necessarily be strained to its limits if used with a speaker dipping below 4 ohm to say 2 ohm (but without a 2 ohm rating). Certainly something to consider if you have high spl/long distance to your seat requirements, tho.
In my mind, lack of rating reflects lack of confidence the product will perform and survive. Obviously Just my opinion.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my mind, lack of rating reflects lack of confidence the product will perform and survive. Obviously Just my opinion.

Survive any possible use, sure. General and reasonable use probably not an issue.

Technomania

Forum Donor
I call it for what it is. The heatsinks on AVRs are absolutely inadequate garbage on the whole.
Don't get too emotional on heatsinks. You can say the same for anything, for example heatsinks on lower-to-mid models of PC motherboards. Sure, those are not perfect in terms of quality or conductivity, but work in vast majority of everyday life usage scenarios. We can't be heat-purists detached from how ordinary Joe uses devices. For more demanding and reflective enthusiasts, I am sure they could find suitable and higher quality products, even from Yamaha.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't get too emotional on heatsinks. You can say the same for anything, for example heatsinks on lower-to-mid models of PC motherboards. Sure, those are not perfect in terms of quality or conductivity, but work in vast majority of everyday life usage scenarios. We can't be heat-purists detached from how ordinary Joe uses devices. For more demanding and reflective enthusiasts, I am sure they could find suitable and higher quality products, even from Yamaha.
Or just add external cooling to help out....

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...Don't get too emotional on heatsinks..

I try not to. :)

I think you guys in the US are getting a taste of the type of weather we get every summer here in Australia at the moment. You need decent heatsinks here. And several airconditioners.

Technomania

Forum Donor
I think you guys in the US are getting a taste of the type of weather we get every summer here in Australia at the moment. You need decent heatsinks here. And several airconditioners.
True. Increasingly, engineers making devices in consumer electronics sector will need to take into account climate change and gradually raising temperatures when designing heat solutions. Apart from real life drama that is going to unfold in next 10-15 years in different places on the planet..., devices will also need to operate in higher average temperatures, so more robust heat solutions will be needed anyway across the board.

As with anything, a device itself could have effective heat solution, but if placed in wrong space, such as confined surroundings or closed cabinet without any airflow, it's going to suffer no matter how good heat solution is.

By the way, heatsink systems on A6A and A8A do look more robust and thought through than in previous generations. New receivers are 1 and 2 kg havier, have thicker and wider H-cross rail, cases have more metal surface touching other metal parts, there is additional fan on A6A for HDMI board chip, heat spreaders on the three HDMI 2.1 chips are bigger, etc. All in all, entire case seems better equipped to play the role of passive heat solution. Once reviewers publish their measurements, we will know more.

3dbinCanada

Like I mentioned earlier and I own many a model of Yamaha, not once did any of them shutdown thermally driving a suite of 5 or more PSB speakers full range into the low 90s. Yamaha did their homework on thermal analysis. It may not be as pretty as iron but the aluminum heat sinks do their job.

Technomania

Forum Donor
New Yamaha models are delayed. We expect preliminary test results with new firmware by independent reviewers around that time.
capture-jpg.3151687

xcomp666

I am thinking about returning my Denon X4700H with this terrible HDMI adapter and get this Yamaha Rx-A6A( more powerful, more HDMI 2.1 ports, better customer service), But I’ve never had a Yamaha receiver before. I still have my concerns about Ypao room correction.

hmt

Well, you trade a non-adapter hdmi 2.1 solution with a horrible REQ system.

SynthesisCinema

Well, you trade a non-adapter hdmi 2.1 solution with a horrible REQ system.

Horrible? The new model has low frequency mode correction up to 250hz similar what most people uses with Audussey app. Also you can use the manual PEQ through web setup. Press play to see on video below it starts on part that shows it. I have asked @amirm to make YPAO review as he still owns Yamaha receiver, but hopefully he will do that when someone sends new model A6A or A8A for him with new improved YPAO!

xcomp666

Horrible? The new model has low frequency mode correction up to 250hz similar what most people uses with Audussey app. Also you can use the manual PEQ through web setup. Press play to see on video below it starts on part that shows it. I have asked @amirm to make YPAO review as he still owns Yamaha receiver, but hopefully he will do that when someone sends new model A6A or A8A for him with new improved YPAO!

How about the sound quality? I usually use my receiver 80% for music and 20% (games and Movies).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps because 99% of people won't be able to hear it?

Test for yourself and report back...
Great video. Using my $300.00 ASUS motherboard and Sennheiser HD 598SR headphones it sounded pretty good until the distortion reached absurdly high numbers.

SynthesisCinema

How about the sound quality? I usually use my receiver 80% for music and 20% (games and Movies).

This is something you have to try yourself at home with your speakers, try to find good dealer that let`s you swap the receiver to other brand if not happy. No one has heard these new models yet. But looking back Yamaha receivers is often found to be more musical than some other brands if we were to believe reviews. ;) The higher models (A6A and A8A) has the best potential.

Technomania

Forum Donor
Make sure you wait for reviews about HDMI 2.1 ports and features performance, if you need it for 4K120 gaming. This has been a thorny issue on all AVRs in recent year...

xcomp666

Make sure you wait for reviews about HDMI 2.1 ports and features performance, if you need it for 4K120 gaming. This has been a thorny issue on all AVRs in recent year...
That's true. I am feeling that I am doing beta tests for Sound united and LG. Every month I got a different bug. This is something really annoying. That's one of the main reasons that I am looking for a revised HDMI 2.1 solution.

David Harper

Yammy AVR protection circuitry must be pretty good because I drove a pair of maggie speakers with an RX-A 780 Aventage for a while and even though the receiver did run hot and shut down if I wasn't careful with the volume it never got damaged. Then I bought a Schiit Vidar amp and now the AVR is functioning as a pre. Even the Vidar can be made to shut down when driving maggies. Their impedance drops to 2.6 ohms at certain frequencies. Also they are very current-hungry. When I was driving them with the AVR the sound always seemed weak. The vidar amp really brought them to life.

3dbinCanada

This is something you have to try yourself at home with your speakers, try to find good dealer that let`s you swap the receiver to other brand if not happy. No one has heard these new models yet. But looking back Yamaha receivers is often found to be more musical than some other brands if we were to believe reviews. ;) The higher models (A6A and A8A) has the best potential.

IHO, All AVRs sound the same if running AVRs without any room correction facilties or DSP while operating well within their power envelope. If they do sound different, then a bias such as sight bias or expectation bias crept into the evaluation. I have near TOTL or TOTL Yamaha models and they always sounded very neutral to me and do put project a house sound of their own onto the speakers. Thats the job of an amp anyway...just to amplify without imparting a house sound.

Top Bottom