• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-A8A (Japanese website)

Technomania

Forum Donor
I updated my Patreon to get access to the review. I won't disclose any content as it would be totally unfair to Gene's work but I will just tell that there are nothing that will make me thinking about returning my A8A.
When seeing the performance, the power, the RX-A8A for 3000$ is way far to be a rip off.
It's interesting how decisions and thinking could be relative to where in the world device is bought.
Some owners of A8A in Australia might see Gene's testing results in a completely different light because they pay an equivalent of $4,500 USD for the same AVR. One and a half thousand dollars more for the same machine! Aooooch!

Last edited:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Andrew Robison did a review of it recently:

3dbinCanada

Andrew Robison did a review of it recently:
Just subjective blather with no measurements. I dont put any stock in what either one of these "experts" (coughs up a hairball) say. Without measurements its just opinions, nothing more.

OldAndSlowDev

It's interesting how decisions and thinking could be relative to where in the world device is bought.
Some owners A8A in Australia might see testing results in a different light because they pay an equivalent of $4,500 USD for the same AVR. One and a half thousand dollars more for the same machine! Gosh!
Don't forget here in North America we use to tell prices without taxes... With taxes I paid mine around 3400$...

Technomania

Forum Donor
Don't forget here in North America we use to tell prices without taxes... With taxes I paid mine around 3400$...
True, but still, more than a grand of difference, just for living on the other side of the globe. For the price difference, you can buy another two AVRs for your friends as gifts for Xmas. :)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Just subjective blather with no measurements. I dont put any stock in what either one of these "experts" (coughs up a hairball) say. Without measurements its just opinions, nothing more.
I bought my Yamaha A-S301 based on opinions. It's not bad to look at what other people have to say.

Ironically If you watched Andrew Robison's video about it, you would know one of the feet was literally tapped on. It's not always about the measurements you know.

clone1008

I bought my Yamaha A-S301 based on opinions. It's not bad to look at what other people have to say.

Ironically If you watched Andrew Robison's video about it, you would know one of the feet was literally tapped on. It's not always about the measurements you know.
Ironically his unit was also a test unit. I can confirm all the feet on my A6A are attached properly.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Ironically his unit was also a test unit. I can confirm all the feet on my A6A are attached properly.
That is true but wouldn't you want your test unit to look good on the cameras?

clone1008

That is true but wouldn't you want your test unit to look good on the cameras?
Their test unit looked fine on the cameras until meathead took it off. What he should of reminded his audience is the fact that it was a test unit and that he doubted production units would have taped on feet. Again to me it just shows how unprofessional this guy is.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Their test unit looked fine on the cameras until meathead took it off. What he should of reminded his audience is the fact that it was a test unit and that he doubted production units would have taped on feet. Again to me it just shows how unprofessional this guy is.
As a reviewer wouldn't you review everything about the product?

clone1008

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Did you not read what I said his comment should have been?
I re-read your comment, I am still waking up. Yeah he should've told the audience that.

clone1008

OldAndSlowDev

True, but still, more than a grand of difference, just for living on the other side of the globe. For the price difference, you can buy another two AVRs for your friends as gifts for Xmas. :)
The official price
I agree both Yamaha should have sent a production unit, not a pre pro, or then advice about the fact the unit has been sent back an forth and got a defective foot, and the reviewer to be not professional as it's so obvious that the feet won't be attached with tape :rolleyes:.

This reviewer is as professional as I am, it's like reviewing a car by looking at it, driving it without having any information about speed, fuel consumption, braking efficiency and saying : yes this car perform well ! I can feel it :rolleyes:

Any AVR will output sound, it may fit or not your needs, and you may enjoy or not, listening to music and movies. But when it's about reviewing and comparing AVR, just hearing at it :facepalm:

OldAndSlowDev

The official "price" was higher in my local audio shop, it's supposed to be 4200cad before taxes, I got it 3850cad before taxes. It's a bit crazy that I got 10% just by asking "what's the best price you can offer to me" for a product that wasn't even available. I can't imagine the margin SU, Yamaha, Onkyo etc are making when selling AVR...

clone1008

The official price

I agree both Yamaha should have sent a production unit, not a pre pro, or then advice about the fact the unit has been sent back an forth and got a defective foot, and the reviewer to be not professional as it's so obvious that the feet won't be attached with tape :rolleyes:.

This reviewer is as professional as I am, it's like reviewing a car by looking at it, driving it without having any information about speed, fuel consumption, braking efficiency and saying : yes this car perform well ! I can feel it :rolleyes:

Any AVR will output sound, it may fit or not your needs, and you may enjoy or not, listening to music and movies. But when it's about reviewing and comparing AVR, just hearing at it :facepalm:
And don't forget the annoying off camera can't show my face 15 minute chick rant. :rolleyes:

clone1008

The official "price" was higher in my local audio shop, it's supposed to be 4200cad before taxes, I got it 3850cad before taxes. It's a bit crazy that I got 10% just by asking "what's the best price you can offer to me" for a product that wasn't even available. I can't imagine the margin SU, Yamaha, Onkyo etc are making when selling AVR...
You probably got the "taped on" foot discount and didn't even realize it. ;)

3dbinCanada

A good review will incorporate measurements to support subjective opinion. The fact that Andrew believes that amps have a sonic signature scratches him off my credible reviewer list. He and his wife are opinionated hacks.

clone1008

A good review will incorporate measurements to support subjective opinion. The fact that Andrew believes that amps have a sonic signature scratches him off my credible reviewer list. He and his wife are opinionated hacks.
1639927252104.png

Technomania

Forum Donor
That's ~$4.200 AUD. Over there, it's $6,300 AUD. It's insane price! They effectively bully them due to the small market. Shipping costs are actually the smallest because Yamaha's factory is at the door step, in Malaysia.

Top Bottom