• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XTZ EDGE A2-300 - Pictures from Inside

Hawkman

Hello,
I’m always interested in other users thoughts on this amplifier. So I would just like to add that I have two of them in bi-amp mode and to date the best sound I’ve had from my system. Highly recommended.

lucadoc

This option is available in my country for similar price to the "DIY finished" one from Ghent sans the balanced input option. I notice that these IcePower units always require an input buffer stage that is not so easily sourced as a DIY module.
Is it possible to use this power amp with a variable output from a dac? Or it needs a preamplifier?

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I used it with my RME ADI Dac. Thats worked fine. The XTZ also has the variable gain witch makes it easy to match with preamps/ dacs.
Most of us that use PowerAmps do not own dedicated preamps. Most use DACs with volume control.

NoSnakeOil2

I was considering this amp, but i am running a 2.1 system. Could anyone suggest a way it would be possible to include a sub? (Note, I'm not wise in the ways of audiophilia...) thanks.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was considering this amp, but i am running a 2.1 system. Could anyone suggest a way it would be possible to include a sub? (Note, I'm not wise in the ways of audiophilia...) thanks.

There could be many ways to do it but I think connecting the speaker out to Active SubWoofer and then speakers to the SubWoofer would be easiest way. It would also give you option to use crossover filter on subwoofer if it would have one.

1589519282331.png

Otherwise if your DAC has another set of RCA/XLR out then you can use appropriate cable to connect your DAC to Amplifier as well as SubWoofer.

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I am really enjoying the heck out of my XTZ A2-300. It powers my M16s and I am really impressed by the combination every day for the last two weeks. I think I just found the right placement and dirac configuration (Harman curve with +6 db bass boost). Of course having two SB-2000s helps a lot. But the XTZ A2-300 is really great, it is definitely good enough for me.

sjeesjie

I have a question about this amp’s gain adjustment. Does the adjustment only make things louder or will it also go into minus db? I have an integrated amp right now of which I find the volume knob way too sensitive so I thought a power amp with adjustable gain would be a great solution!

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I have a question about this amp’s gain adjustment. Does the adjustment only make things louder or will it also go into minus db? I have an integrated amp right now of which I find the volume knob way too sensitive so I thought a power amp with adjustable gain would be a great solution!

Yes, you will probably be able to use this solution to reduce the sensitivity of your main amp.

Sonbe

Hi. I would need your help . I just get the amp XTZ Edge today. Objective is use it with my hc receiver Arcam 390 in preout. My loudspeakers are B&W 683
Bad surprise: I get a very annoyed background noise even when the volume is adjusted at mid level with the knop in XTZ rear panel. This noise is so loud if I push it to max level
Any idea what can be done ?
Thanks

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi. I would need your help . I just get the amp XTZ Edge today. Objective is use it with my hc receiver Arcam 390 in preout. My loudspeakers are B&W 683
Bad surprise: I get a very annoyed background noise even when the volume is adjusted at mid level with the knop in XTZ rear panel. This noise is so loud if I push it to max level
Any idea what can be done ?
Thanks

How does the noise sound? It's pretty sensitive to ground noise and/or noise from other devices. Mine picked up noise from a computer switch, so I had to remove ground from that device to get rid of the noise. After that it was dead quiet.

So it may be that the XTZ is not the source of the noise, but picking up something else. Try unplugging other devices one by one.

valerianf

I read that the XTZ Edge A2 300 has an automatic power on/off.
Does it work well without any pop in the speakers?

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I read that the XTZ Edge A2 300 has an automatic power on/off.
Does it work well without any pop in the speakers?
Yes. In my setup it works well without pops. I am using the xtz with shd studio >> rme adi dac >> xtz >> Revel m16.

It might not work so well for other setups. E. G. The m16 are rather insensitivity at 86 dB.

valerianf

Thank you, that is good news.
My idea is to let it powered all the time and it will wake up when an audio signal will be present at the RCA input.

Long time ago I tested another class D amp and the result was awful: a pop when commuting and a constant HF noise (hiss) in the speakers when the amp was on!
Hopefully the XTZ Edge seems far better.

NoSnakeOil2

I bought XTZ over a month ago and feel that its probably the best investment I have made in recent times.
I had been using Marantz PM6005, Peachtree Decco 125 and PS Audio Sprout 100 heavily before XTZ and cannot tell you how happy I am with XTZ really.
It can really bring out details and low end punch very well, at least this is what I felt.
Paired it with Topping D90 recently and they both made my Paradigm Monitor 6000F (not the best speakers, I know) sing.
I am now looking to see how a different pre-amp could help further, tube as well as solid state.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at some of these other amps as competitors. Good to the XTZ outperforms them.

Guddu

Thanks for the info. I was looking at some of these other amps as competitors. Good to the XTZ outperforms them.

Only measurements could testify if it would outperform others, but I have no regrets at all :).

Top Bottom