• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XLR - RCA maximum length?

_Bass

Hi all,

I am getting active speakers for my left and right surround. As such, I need to run longer RCA - XLR cables from my AVR to the speakers (XLR in only). Ideally, I need a cable that is 12 meters long, worst case I can make it work with 9 meters.

What is the maximum length I can use if I buy properly shielded cables? For my fronts I use the monoprice https://www.monoprice.eu/products/m...16awg-gold-plated?_pos=4&_sid=9b1be4bb0&_ss=r but the longest one they have available is just 4.5 meters.

I was about to go the route of custom made cables from a local music shop but the guys said that even 9 meters of such unbalanced cable is pushing it.

Can you help with some guidance and perhaps give me some suggestions for decent cables (not snake oil) I can get in Europe? Or suggest some of the cable I should by by the meter and have it custom made.

monkeyboy

If you are using active speakers, you aren't pulling much current, the there won't be much voltage drop...I'd just get shielded cables and tweak the gain on the speakers a bit...

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Balanced cables can happily run for several hundred metres with no issues whatsoever. In recording and broadcast facilities cable runs of a Km or more are not unusual. For domestic use,it's just not an issue.

S

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What is the maximum length I can use if I buy properly shielded cables?

From my DAC User's Manual, pg27:

1676752159554.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You could buy that monoprice cable in xlr only in longer lengths. Then use the correctly gendered xlr to rca adapter for one end.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So if I read this table correctly, 9-12 meters (30ft-40ft) is a non issue for unbalanced cables?

Probably, but the table is only concerned with insertion loss of the high frequency, not noise.

Cables of 25 feet or so:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Even with RCA interconnect cables, you could run a 1000 foot coax cable from an AC powered output stage to a battery powered input stage with very little high frequency loss.
The common problem with long RCA coax cables is the two units are powered from different AC circuits with their Safety Grounds at different potentials. So AC noise, leakage and ground currents travel along the coax causing Common Impedance Coupling noise.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even with RCA interconnect cables, you could run a 1000 foot coax cable from an AC powered output stage to a battery powered input stage with very little high frequency loss.
The common problem with long RCA coax cables is the two units are powered from different AC circuits with their Safety Grounds at different potentials. So AC noise, leakage and ground currents travel along the coax causing Common Impedance Coupling noise.
Hence the benefit of a ground-lift switch that avoids all that, whilst maintaining safety.
S

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If the OP does not wish to use an adapter, just get the Monoprice and then extend the XLR end with another Monoprice XLR to XLR cable. No adapter then. The 4.5 meter plus an xlr cable of 7.5 meters (25 feet) would give you the 12 meters you need. One of the nice things about XLR to XLR is you can put them together for whatever lengths you need.

Maybe in the EU you'll have to buy two 4.5 meter XLR to XLR to go with the one you linked in the initial post. That will give you 13.5 meters so you'll have plenty. If you can buy from Amazon more lengths are available.

Last edited:
OP
B

_Bass

If the OP does not wish to use an adapter, just get the Monoprice and then extend the XLR end with another Monoprice XLR to XLR cable. No adapter then. The 4.5 meter plus an xlr cable of 7.5 meters (25 feet) would give you the 12 meters you need. One of the nice things about XLR to XLR is you can put them together for whatever lengths you need.

Maybe in the EU you'll have to buy two 4.5 meter XLR to XLR to go with the one you linked in the initial post. That will give you 13.5 meters so you'll have plenty. If you can buy from Amazon more lengths are available.
So AVR pre-out --> RCA to XLR cable + XLR to XLR cable --> Speaker input will not degrade the quality of the signal or introduce any negative effects?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So AVR pre-out --> RCA to XLR cable + XLR to XLR cable --> Speaker input will not degrade the quality of the signal or introduce any negative effects?
No problems at all.

Now you may still run into ground loop issues if the gear at each end is plugged into outlets with different safety ground or 3rd pin ground. But the cable itself will be fine.

BTW, removing or lifting 3rd pin ground is one way to reduce or eliminate this issue. It is not electrically safe depending upon how wiring is done where you are.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
make that:
It is not electrically safe (period)
Actually if you put in some GFCI outlets they are safe. But I don't know which country the OP is in. It may be called an RCBO outlet where he is. 220 vac power.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
Really need to consider getting active speakers with RCA input. There is a thread mention of running long XLR-RCA if I remember.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Really need to consider getting active speakers with RCA input. There is a thread mention of running long XLR-RCA if I remember.
For what benefit? That would in no way benefit this situation at all. Is no less likely to have a ground loop. The opposite might be worth considering, get a preamp that has balanced outputs. And despite these possible problems, sometimes the setup the OP has outlined works just fine without any noise issues.

kongwee

Major Contributor
For what benefit? That would in no way benefit this situation at all. Is no less likely to have a ground loop. The opposite might be worth considering, get a preamp that has balanced outputs. And despite these possible problems, sometimes the setup the OP has outlined works just fine without any noise issues.
He has AVR and wanting to get active speaker. He can still find active with RCA input. Genelec, Adam have it, there are some studio monitor having it. Even a greater option outside studio monitor. Of course under audiophile (example PS Audio) recommendation it is better to get balance at the length he want.

Top Bottom