• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would you give up your headphone jack on your phone???

Tatr76

I have the Samsung s10 and really like having a headphone jack and somewhat put me off next model when contract ended so stuck with it, sometimes do hook up external dac when around the house so think I will be okay once I upgrade and get used to it. While putting off upgrading much to my horror found out in the interim latest Samsung have ditched sd card. This is more of an issue as like carrying big library with me 1tb micro sd at mo and even though you can get similar size phone the cost is considerably more for biggest capacity phone and total capacity not as big. Just another indication that I am slowly becoming a dinosaur as the world marches on.....

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In case you are still looking. The Google Pixel 5a has launched with a headphone jack. That would be my choice.

jae

Major Contributor
Still happily using my pixel 2. Every year I get excited for the newest pixel then realise I have no reason to upgrade yet.

Tom C

Major Contributor
One cannot resist the inexorable march of time. I don’t want to give up my headphone jack, but it’s not my decision. I’ll do the best I can with it, and put up with the dongle:

Apple dongle

It‘s not huge or heavy. It’s offered at a giveaway price. I’m sure it’s merely a weening mechanism designed for a reluctant ole fellow like me. I don’t want the wireless, even if it’s just a niggling worse than wired. But I’m not the chief of Apple, so I don’t get to choose. At the last, I expect the wireless to be as good as the wired, and better in some ways.
Best to look forward.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would prefer a 3.5mm jack but few phones have it and it does seem that most people who use headphones or IEMs with their phones prefer BT wireless connectivity. Which I understand as despite what many audiophiles say the quality of BT audio is very good and there are some excellent BT headphones. And despite my preference for a jack it wasn't enough to swing my decision when buying a phone when I had to return my Galaxy S10 when changing jobs. I went for a OnePlus Nord as it was all I wanted and a lot cheaper than"flagship" models. I would prefer to not have to use a dongle when using wired headphones but it is not such a big deal and a lot less bothersome than I thought it would be.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I would prefer a 3.5mm jack but few phones have it and it does seem that most people who use headphones or IEMs with their phones prefer BT wireless connectivity. Which I understand as despite what many audiophiles say the quality of BT audio is very good and there are some excellent BT headphones. And despite my preference for a jack it wasn't enough to swing my decision when buying a phone when I had to return my Galaxy S10 when changing jobs. I went for a OnePlus Nord as it was all I wanted and a lot cheaper than"flagship" models. I would prefer to not have to use a dongle when using wired headphones but it is not such a big deal and a lot less bothersome than I thought it would be.
I so totally agree.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the 5a is basically based on the 4a 5G, which I already have, so I'll sit this one out.
Yup. The upcoming 6 will be the first really different pixel for a few years. How do you rate the 5 as I might get one if they slash prices when the 6 launches.

Last edited:

simbloke

Forum Donor
The Pixel 5 has already been removed from their store, but I guess you might find it somewhere else. I have one and like it very much.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FOMO got me and I just bought a S21+-no HP jack but kept my S10+ and have a micro SD card w/ my music on it so can take it w/ me in the car if necessary because having a dongle hanging off my phone USB C socket isn't good for longevity.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much did you pay for it? To get the credit from Verizon it has to be 5G which I don't think S10+ is. But it is something to think about.
I bought it used from Swappa.com. It was supposedly used but looked brand new. I think I gave $669. It was sold by Adopt-A-Phone.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the 5a is basically based on the 4a 5G, which I already have, so I'll sit this one out.
+bigger battery. Yes, it's not much reason to upgrade. But if you want a great new phone that does all the things and has a headphone jack, the Pixel 5a is really the best choice.

I just love the over the top tongue and cheek swipe at Apple with that commercial too. :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
How about Sony? The I series thick all bells. It won't have a high (mV) out and performance will be just average and they are expensive but software and build quality are rather good. They also tend to last longer (build quality and battery care) and have good BT antennas. There is a last year Xperia 1 II on Verizon, for the this year's one (1 III) you will probably need to wait more. If you didn't need wireless charging I would say go for Xperia 5 III as its easy one to hold.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still happily using my pixel 2. Every year I get excited for the newest pixel then realise I have no reason to upgrade yet.
Here is Public Service Announcement: Keep an eye out for when you are no longer getting security updates. If your phone is no longer getting security updates it's time to get a new one. We have too much personal and financial information in our phones to risk using them with known security issues that are no longer being patched.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/8/22164027/google-pixel-2-final-update-security-patch-november-2020

jae

Major Contributor
Here is Public Service Announcement: Keep an eye out for when you are no longer getting security updates. If your phone is no longer getting security updates it's time to get a new one. We have too much personal and financial information in our phones to risk using them with known security issues that are no longer being patched.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/8/22164027/google-pixel-2-final-update-security-patch-november-2020

That's true. There are always alternative options like GrapheneOS, LineageOS etc. that will continue to backport android security/vulnerability patches to older devices. My "digital" life is fairly compartmentalized in that I have a secure laptop that is used as a single login for my primary e-mail and private keys (the only things that I am concerned with losing access to), browsing, banking, and remotely connecting to other machines. My desktop machines are not connected to my personal life/critical accounts and are used for virtual machines, editing/rendering, games, and in general running software that does not belong on the secure laptop. These days my phone is used as glorified order terminal for uber eats, alarm clock/timer, google maps, sending instant messages, or simple tasks like google translate and looking up the occasional thing on google, wikipedia, or wolfram while on the go.

I will probably pull the trigger on an update when 5G is widely available in my area with my carrier. Then the Pixel 2 will be paired with a nice dongle DAC and 3rd party extended battery and used as streaming DAP!

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We just got Pixel 5a's and really like them so far. Can't say anything about the headphone jack other than it's there as I haven't used it so far. I don't use headphones on the go too much so it wasn't a primary motivator. It will at least be convenient to not have to carry dongles and charge while listening in that (for me) rare case.
We are pretty solidly on the Fi and Pixel bandwagon, and her Pixel 3 had died and mine was on the way out (battery). Subscription price through Fi is cheap, so getting them seemed like a no-brainer. As a phone, it seems great. I'll have to wait a bit to make judgments on the camera.

After I'm out of these meetings I'll do a quick check on my JBL 305P (garage speakers), ATH-MX50's and QC25s. Not going to do or even think I could do a subjective review but just 'this works, sounds fine' e.g. has enough power/voltage/current to drive them. I had an issue with the Apple dongle and the 305's with too low output, maybe from not enough voltage. Not sure which dongle it was, but another didn't drive the HiFi Man RE040's to very good levels either. A little worried any new devices are going to have software limiters to enforce new dB regs.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave up my headphone jack even before Apple removed it from the iPhone. I’ve been happily using Bluetooth headphones for years. I hate wires when I’m traveling and that is the only time I listen to music on my phone.

Martin

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
...quick check on my JBL 305P (garage speakers), ATH-MX50's and QC25s. .

Note, I usually don't listen very loud but have never measured average at MLP so I can't given a #.

305Ps - Using pink noise using a dB measuring app on the phone. Get's just as loud on the headphone jack as dongle (that I'm happy with, not Apple which was too quiet). Way louder that what I need/want, but those are background while wrenching so listening levels are usually quite low.

ATH-M50X, borderline loud enough even all the way up.
QC25, also borderline loud enough. Maybe a bit louder than the ATH-M50x but I won't hang my hat on that. It's more that I can listen to the M50X all of the way up but it's bothersome on the QC50's. Very well could be some other issue like frequency response or distortion.
Both I'm only a notch or 3 below full volume to be where I normally like to listen.

IIRC both of these aren't terribly hard to drive headphones and I don't listen at loud levels normally. So unless there's a defeatable SW limiter that's causing this, I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't have enough oomph for many people's situations.

It will be interesting to see if this get's measured somewhere and/or on a broader scale what happens with the SW limiter due to new dB limit regulations.

Other, Wavelet seems like it's not working, not doing anything both through the headphone jack and USB (USB>Schit Mod2>Vali2). As a sanity/ears check I got the Pixel3 back out and Wavelet definitely works on there.
Edit, maybe fixed? I had it in Legacy Mode, which didn't seem to cause issues on the Pixle 3, but caused it to not work on the 5a. But now I can go into either mode on the 5a and it works fine.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My phone has headphone jack but I use it only for trivial things like calls and video conferences etc. For critical music listening there are lots of great choices of dongles to choose from. So for me removing the headphone jack is not a big deal.

Timbo2

Note, I usually don't listen very loud but have never measured average at MLP so I can't given a #.

305Ps - Using pink noise using a dB measuring app on the phone. Get's just as loud on the headphone jack as dongle (that I'm happy with, not Apple which was too quiet). Way louder that what I need/want, but those are background while wrenching so listening levels are usually quite low.

ATH-M50X, borderline loud enough even all the way up. I honestly can't remember which one I got i.e.
QC25, also borderline loud enough. Maybe a bit louder than the ATH-M50x but I won't hang my hat on that. It's more that I can listen to the M50X all of the way up but it's bothersome on the QC50's. Very well could be some other issue like frequency response or distortion.
Both I'm only a notch or 3 below full volume to be where I normally like to listen.

IIRC both of these aren't terribly hard to drive headphones and I don't listen at loud levels normally. So unless there's a defeatable SW limiter that's causing this, I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't have enough oomph for many people's situations.

It will be interesting to see if this get's measured somewhere and/or on a broader scale what happens with the SW limiter due to new dB limit regulations.

Other, Wavelet seems like it's not working, not doing anything both through the headphone jack and USB (USB>Schit Mod2>Vali2). As a sanity/ears check I got the Pixel3 back out and Wavelet definitely works on there.
Edit, maybe fixed? I had it in Legacy Mode, which didn't seem to cause issues on the Pixle 3, but caused it to not work on the 5a. But now I can go into either mode on the 5a and it works fine.

I also just picked up a 5a. Nice upgrade over my almost 4 year old Essential Phone. Using what I've considered the fairly easy to drive Shure SE535s I felt it didn't play particularly loud. At 100% it didn't seem to distort, so my guess is that it is software limited for "safety" purposes. That said 100% was too loud for continuous use so I'm not going to complain for casual listening.

However, subjectively, when I switched to my Sabaj Headphone Amplifier Da3 Portable USB DAC on the same the phone it sounded much better even at low volume levels. Possible reasons for this are 1 - much more available power for dynamic range and 2 - ability to go digital out to the DAC with HF Player.

If you use the headphone jack Android sounds and resamples everything up or down to 48kHz. No idea if Google has implemented this properly as other manufacturers have failed here.

Top Bottom