• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would running audio through a cheap tube preamp (like the Behringer Ultragain) result in pleasing tube saturation?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Alternatively one could use a digital effect plugin and have much greater control and adjustment range of the added distortion.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As pleasing is subjective, nobody can suggest a solution that fit to your taste. Your best bet is what @theREALdotnet said, add a distortion device/plugin inline.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As pleasing is subjective, nobody can suggest a solution that fit to your taste. Your best bet is what @theREALdotnet said, add a distortion device/plugin inline.
Yes; for example, I think the warm muddy sound expected of tubes is tiring at best. But trying to do any of that controllably in hardware sounds like infinite frustration.

notsodeadlizard

This obviously depends on the structure of your system. If you have another preamp built into something behind this preamp, it may not be quite what you expect.

OP
D

Diplo

Alternatively one could use a digital effect plugin and have much greater control and adjustment range of the added distortion.
Would the saturation be more pleasing given the physical tubes?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Do you have a suggestion for a VST that does this?

No, I’m not in a position to recommend anything in particular, since this is not my kind of thing. However, a quick search reveals a plethora of plugins (both VST and AU), many of them free.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

With a tube you get what you get. With a plugin you can tweak the knobs to your liking.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well... I mean... depending upon one's goals... there are inexpensive and effective :) little tube distorto-boxes.

Two of the current darlings being:

... and now a variant using directly heated pentode tubes (whoo freaking hoo!):

Even a thread here at ASR on the latter...

1679772232784.png

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Behringer unit has one 12AX7 tube.

For about the same price you can get a Little Dot ii, which has two 5654/6AK5/6J1 driver tubes and two 6N6 power tubes. Can be used as a headphone amp or a straight preamp. And is designed for home audio, not pro.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
According to Behringer, it uses one 12AX7 tube. Which can be seen in the front of the unit.
So you are talking about the Mic100 Ultragain. I'd never seen that one. I had in mind the ADA8200 ultragain. Probably one of those starved plate designs like ART makes.

1679772563749.png

OP
D

Diplo

So you are talking about the Mic100 Ultragain. I'd never seen that one. I had in mind the ADA8200 ultragain. Probably one of those starved plate designs like ART makes.

View attachment 274704
That’s the one!

Could you explain the starved plate design, I’ve heard bad things but I’m not super clued up on why it sounds worse than the alternative.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Could you explain the starved plate design
Tubes normally operate at a few hundred volts, depending on the tube and application. If you run it at a less than optimum voltage you can get more distortion.

I don't know how low they go...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s the one!

Could you explain the starved plate design, I’ve heard bad things but I’m not super clued up on why it sounds worse than the alternative.
I'm no expert on starved plates. But yes the tube is run on 30-80 volts instead of 300-450 volts. Often the heater (which is what creates the electron cloud in the tube) is run at 75% of its normal voltage. I've seen a couple odd designs that ran the heater at higher voltage and the tube with only 12 volts across it. The attempt is to create plenty of low order distortion that varies with level of the input. Not as much as a distortion pedal on a guitar (which also sometimes use starved plates), but enough to get a sound which is claimed to be tube sound. I don't think old tube gear sounded like that. So starved plate microphone pres are one variant.

I don't know of measurements of them. Would be good to see.

Having seen measures of an ART DTI which is a transformer isolator for breaking ground loops, I'm not so sure this wouldn't give a taste of tube amp sound.

You'll need to push a few volts thru it with another device. But if you could control gain of the input you could select your preferred level of transformer based distortion. This device sales for about $79. But I've not had hands on with it myself.

Top Bottom