• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Woofer surround damage repair

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I have a pair of NHT Classic Three speakers that I quite like. Unfortunately on one of them, the woofer surround is tearing.
It was a small tear to begin with that you can see I tried repairing using whatever glue I had at the time (~1 year ago). I looked today and it has grown a lot. :eek:
Is there is special glue I can use to repair this? I contacted NHT and sadly they no longer have replacement parts for this speaker.

1659130463305.png

1659130486349.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I have a pair of NHT Classic Three speakers that I quite like. Unfortunately on one of them, the woofer surround is tearing.
It was a small tear to begin with that you can see I tried repairing using whatever glue I had at the time (~1 year ago). I looked today and it has grown a lot. :eek:
Is there is special glue I can use to repair this? I contacted NHT and sadly they no longer have replacement parts for this speaker.

View attachment 221159

View attachment 221161
I would shop around for a re-cone kit of the size req'd. It's a nasty place to attempt a repair and most attempts will likely fail no matter what adhesive you use. Otherwise if the sort of foamy neoprene rubber suit material used for scuba suits then it can be adhered to each other with contact cement as in a butt joint or with a little overlap.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is an acoustic suspension design, whatever you do most likely have a large effect in bass response. Maybe it’s time for a new speaker?

OP
S

spacevector

Forum Donor
Thank you, you two. I am going to order some rubber surrounds and also bang on the manufacturer to find and sell me a woofer.

If I end up repairing the surround, I will measure against its good brother.

If everything fails, will have to get new speakers as @sarumbear said. I am sold on KEF R3 if it comes to that.

Really though, these speakers (Classic Three) are rather nice IMO.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, you two. I am going to order some rubber surrounds and also bang on the manufacturer to find and sell me a woofer.

If I end up repairing the surround, I will measure against its good brother.

If everything fails, will have to get new speakers as @sarumbear said. I am sold on KEF R3 if it comes to that.

Really though, these speakers (Classic Three) are rather nice IMO.
BTW, have you checked the used market?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Re-rolling speakers is easy enough in most cases and once you've done it, you'll be proud of yourself.

You can measure the speaker that isn't damaged as somewhat of a reference, but consider it is the same age and most likely much deteriorated from its original compliance due to age too. Personally, I wouldn't bother as the old speaker surrounds and the new ones will not be anything like one another in terms of flexibility- not at least for a while.

Buy two sets of surrounds and have at it! The cone material looks to be poly or poly coated, so it'll be a nice clean removal.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Re-rolling speakers is easy enough in most cases and once you've done it, you'll be proud of yourself.

You can measure the speaker that isn't damaged as somewhat of a reference, but consider it is the same age and most likely much deteriorated from its original compliance due to age too. Personally, I wouldn't bother as the old speaker surrounds and the new ones will not be anything like one another in terms of flexibility- not at least for a while.

Buy two sets of surrounds and have at it! The cone material looks to be poly or poly coated, so it'll be a nice clean removal.
I read literature on the speaker model and the tweets and mids are liquid cooled with a aluminum cone on the woofer.

OP
S

spacevector

Forum Donor
you checked the used market?
Thanks! From the listing: I bought these knowing one woofer had a cracked surround. I replaced both woofers from NHT.

LOL so this problem is not limited to my speaker!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I read literature on the speaker model and the tweets and mids are liquid cooled with a aluminum cone on the woofer.

Aluminium is much less fun to re-roll. Depends how easily the old surrounds can be removed. The easiest is polypropylene (like infinity) or IMG, with paper. Carbon fibre, polyolefin and metal are easy to damage.

Beave

Major Contributor

View attachment 221159

View attachment 221161

NHT may have said they don't have replacement parts for the Classic Threes, but that's misleading.

The new C-3 uses the same woofer (well, I'm 95% sure it does). So they almost certainly DO carry this particularly needed replacement part - the woofer.

I have the same issue with a Classic Three C center. They said they had replacement woofers available, but they were about $100 each or so, if I remember right. I decided it wasn't worth it to buy the two replacement woofers since that would be more than I paid for the speaker.

OP
S

spacevector

Forum Donor
NHT may have said they don't have replacement parts for the Classic Threes, but that's misleading.

The new C-3 uses the same woofer (well, I'm 95% sure it does). So they almost certainly DO carry this particularly needed replacement part - the woofer.

I have the same issue with a Classic Three C center. They said they had replacement woofers available, but they were about $100 each or so, if I remember right. I decided it wasn't worth it to buy the two replacement woofers since that would be more than I paid for the speaker.
You are right! NHT no longer supports the mid/tweeter assembly but still sells the woofer. I was able to order one yesterday.

You got a great deal on these speakers!

Top Bottom