• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping L30 Headphone Amp

Tup3x

I would have preferred ESS Sabre DAC doe E30 as well for technical reasons (when switching between sample rates, their digital volume control is also nicely done) rather than sound (honestly they sound the same).

In any case though, I ordered L30.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
you'll get BT and wifi on E30 easily by hacking a cheap Raspberry PI + a spdif-hat and feed its spdif into E30. Btw, why not wifi on D90 and DACS in general? About, base boost, 3D effects and other goodies: I am an fun-lowing audio-lover with almost no knowledge in audio tech, who doesn't understand why such funcs may have an impact on audio performance when they are switched off. What is your opinion about IFIs Drop ZEN CAN 6xx, a fun-fun magic box with two buttons, one that rotate-shifts the low end upwards and some fraction of the high end slightly upwards to compensate for the shortcomings of phones with weak base and small dips in its treble, and another button with 3D effects. My M500 has MQA and IFI puts MQA in all their dacs :) but Topping only has it on their flagship D90. Will there be MQAs on future dacs from Toppings? What I am looking for> cute colorful amp to connect with M500 for my incoming Argon mkIII at home, a new cute red DAC/AMP combo or stack for my office and a portable dac/amp to replace my Oppo HA-2SE -- with fun buttons and MQA. I am very thankful for all your help guys :)
Drop Zen dac amp is overpriced to me but i definitely prefer those over all in one $500 units.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what you mean by AKM sound. It’s a transparent DAC so you shouldn’t hear a difference between it and the D10s.*

in blind tests

I agree. I thought I was at ASR where it is a given that DACs with 112db SINAD like the E30 don't have any sound signature. This ain't Head-Fi :D

MalinYamato

How did this turn into the DAC wishlist thread, when it wasn't even about a DAC to begin with?

Just sayin' :)
my fault - sowwy! I deleted my questions to you and Toppings

Last edited:

Danielbb

Forum Donor
Hi all,
Could someone maybe tell me if one can use the volume control of the E30 (via the remote) when stacked with the L30 and in pre-amp mode to control the volume of the connected speakers?
Thanks, Daniël

3125b

Major Contributor
Of course you can.

Danielbb

Forum Donor

MSTARK

Hi everyone.
Between AM01 Headphone Amp from F.Audio and Topping L30, which amp has spects/topology more favorable towards low impedance planars such as LCDX? Thanks.

MSTARK

I'd steer very clear of the F.Audio amp. It's a poorly constructed rip-off of the S.M.S.L SP200. Buyer beware.
From what I've gathered yes, you are probably right as far similarities to sp200 go. I'm not super concerned with it being a clone or design execution. I'm strictly seeking help determining which spects would be more friendly towards low impedance planars. Let's put that clone aside and use smsl sp200 as an example vs L30. Not trying to open a can of worms.... just trying to get some feedback regarding these two designs and comparability with one of my cans. Thanks.

dpippel

From what I've gathered yes, you are probably right as far similarities to sp200 go. I'm not super concerned with it being a clone or design execution. I'm strictly seeking help determining which spects would be more friendly towards low impedance planars. Let's put that clone aside and use smsl sp200 as an example vs L30. Not trying to open a can of worms.... just trying to get some feedback regarding these two designs and comparability with one of my cans. Thanks.

Take a look at the internals of a production sample. You should be very concerned about plugging your headphones into something like this:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-inferior-smsl-sp200-clone.14947/post-468121

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Have you ever seen Innerfidelities measurements for the LCDX?

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCDXSN7454971.pdf
No major impedance variation. Very good sensitivity needing only 0.22 milliwatts to reach 90 dB.

The answer to your question is that either SP200 or L30 will drive your headphones without breaking a sweat.

Yuno

You are not going to get anywhere because this amp is yet to be measured and specs written by manufacturer (until verified) mean nothing. L30 is better of the two because it's actually measured, and according to measurements, good. In terms of power it should be able to power most headphones out there, planars included.

MSTARK

MSTARK

Have you ever seen Innerfidelities measurements for the LCDX?

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCDXSN7454971.pdf
No major impedance variation. Very good sensitivity needing only 0.22 milliwatts to reach 90 dB.

The answer to your question is that either SP200 or L30 will drive your headphones without breaking a sweat.
That’s great. I’ll try LCDXs with L30 then. I’ll also try hybrid setup to see what’s up with that. Thanks and I don’t believe I’ve seen those graphs.

MSTARK

You are not going to get anywhere because this amp is yet to be measured and specs written by manufacturer (until verified) mean nothing. L30 is better of the two because it's actually measured, and according to measurements, good. In terms of power it should be able to power most headphones out there, planars included.
Makes perfect sense. Glad to hear that L30 got plenty of muscle to drive most cans. Do you guys think that amplifier topology, design that Topping is using in this amp (and it’s bigger brother) is closing in on what THX is offering?

NDC

Makes perfect sense. Glad to hear that L30 got plenty of muscle to drive most cans. Do you guys think that amplifier topology, design that Topping is using in this amp (and it’s bigger brother) is closing in on what THX is offering?

As per measurements it's equal to if not better. @JohnYang1997 has posted some thoughts on the feed forward THX circuitry elsewhere on the forum - it's not all that innovative apparently. Mostly it's the same composite feedback style that everyone is using.

MSTARK

As per measurements it's equal to if not better. @JohnYang1997 has posted some thoughts on the feed forward THX circuitry elsewhere on the forum - it's not all that innovative apparently. Mostly it's the same composite feedback style that everyone is using.
I see. It’s seemed like the best thing since sliced bread was invented according to some reviews and ppl I’ve heard from. That’s what got me super interested in this approach to achieve high dynamic range with super low distortion. To be honest, I don’t remember these kind of spects in ANY audio gear (with exception of few DACs). But I was out of the upgrade game for a while so there’s that as well.

Top Bottom