• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping L30 Headphone Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
(I own 3 DACs and they all sound different.)
(So you claim)

Anyway it's laughable to mention anti-EQ purists when you consider how much EQ is involved in recording and mastering music...

And when you consider most audio engineers would employ neutral monster monitors, you'd want your own gear to approximate that to be as close to the intended audio. Not "mixing and matching" components, no.

MSTARK

Those components are not dacs and amps. As other people said, this is what equalizers or hardware DSP is for. So that you can change how your headphones/speakers sound like without blowing hard earned money each time you buy a new pair of headphones or have a change of mind in what you want your setup to sound like.

You mean mastering engineers who typically work with "clinical sounding" audio interfaces that no audiophile will touch with a 10 foot pole?
I can guarantee you one thing, people who master music don't do it with assumption that it is meant to be played on specific combo of dac+amp+headphones/speakers connected with gold interconnect cables and topped with magic stones.

I have been in mastering studios. And I guarantee you that your assumption is incorrect. Not everything is “sterilized” and stripped from color. In fact, any reputable mastering studio will have collection of tube/SS gear, same goes for mikes and other equipment that is used as a tool. Unfortunately there is probably a handful of mastering engineers that do care about their product and legacy. So yeah, most don’t give a crap. Not even lowest THD can fix negligence and incompetence.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have been in mastering studios. And I guarantee you that your assumption is incorrect. Not everything is “sterilized” and stripped from color. In fact, any reputable mastering studio will have collection of tube/SS gear, same goes for mikes and other equipment that is used as a tool. Unfortunately there is probably a handful of mastering engineers that do care about their product and legacy. So yeah, most don’t give a crap. Not even lowest THD can fix negligence and incompetence.
If you'd then use lowest THD gear and speakers with whatever they churned out in that studio, you will hear what they intended you to hear, not adding layers of colour on top. That's what ASR is about.

MSTARK

(So you claim)

Anyway it's laughable to mention anti-EQ purists when you consider how much EQ is involved in recording and mastering music...
Apples and oranges. What does it matter if I have 1 or 3 DACs and why would anyone doubt that? That’s just silly kindergarten talk.

Veri

Master Contributor
Apples and oranges. What does it matter if I have 1 or 3 DACs and why would anyone doubt that? That’s just silly kindergarten talk.
What does it matter? Why, you're the one who brings it up! :D You misunderstood me btw, I meant "you claim they sound different", not that you would not own them, why would I dispute that.

MSTARK

If you'd then use lowest THD gear and speakers with whatever they churned out in that studio, you will hear what they intended you to hear, not adding layers of colour on top. That's what ASR is about.
Maybe but you’re taking my personal preferences out of the picture. And believe me, I have those.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Or maybe instead of saying a product is poorly implemented (and many are), it is actually carefully tuned to have an enhanced listening experience. If your goal is to reproduce music most accurately, measurements are essential. But they don't equal a product people will enjoy more.

It's almost as if a person/company designs a niche product with a "signature" distortion, markets the hell out if it so that you "enjoy it more", then charges people top dollar for the pleasure. Maybe I'm just being cynical

MSTARK

What does it matter? Why, you're the one who brings it up! :D You misunderstood me btw, I meant "you claim they sound different", not that you would not own them, why would I dispute that.
Ok, bc if you actually asked that silly question you would lose your “credibility”.
And I only mentioned my DACs in context of the point being made. That linearity/neutrality is extremely hard do do. Doesn’t matter if it’s a $250 or 6K DAC. Most have their own sound signature. More expensive (exotic) gear probably more so.

Pawlakbest

Anyone know if Shenzhenaudio sends European charger to Topping products when sending them to Europe ? Cause I bought L30+E30 from them but forgot to ask about L30 Charger version :(

MSTARK

Which of your personal preferences relating to sound can't be achieved with an EQ rather than a system that has a built-in effect pedal?
Like I’ve mentioned earlier, vacuum tube components (especially amps and preamps) add coloration, soundstage, depth and harmonic “pleasantness” that is hard to replicate. Some SS gear gets close but it’s rare.

MSTARK

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Like I’ve mentioned earlier, vacuum tube components (especially amps and preamps) add coloration, soundstage, depth and harmonic “pleasantness” that is hard to replicate. Some SS gear gets close but it’s rare.

yeah, but again, why would anyone want to have a locked in effect pedal on every recording they choose to play? When Back in Black was engineered, they made every effort they could to get Angus's awesome tone down on the recording. Why do I want to add an extra layer of tube distortion on top?

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Doesn’t matter if it’s a $250 or 6K DAC. Most have their own sound signature. More expensive (exotic) gear probably more so.

We're back to it, aren't we? The constant obsession with the belief that my expensive product is better/has more of its own sound signature etc. The search for the Holy Grail of audio perfection.

MSTARK

Yeah. I know. And if they actually measure differently in what might conceivably be an audible way, you might actually be hearing what you think you're hearing.
Not necessarily. I know for a fact that designer of my “exotic” DAC was going for more “analogue” presentation that might appeal to vinyl enthusiasts (which I am). So there definitely was some “voicing” involved. My mid-level DAC is sterile to the bone but it doesn’t work all that great in my main rig so it’s use in one of my can rigs instead.

MSTARK

We're back to it, aren't we? The constant obsession with the belief that my expensive product is better/has more of its own sound signature etc. The search for the Holy Grail of audio perfection.
That’s not what I said. You’re projecting.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Not necessarily. I know for a fact that designer of my “exotic” DAC was going for more “analogue” presentation that might appeal to vinyl enthusiasts (which I am). So there definitely was some “voicing” involved. My mid-level DAC is sterile to the bone but it doesn’t work all that great in my main rig so it’s use in one of my can rigs instead.

Yikes..

Top Bottom