• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

WolfX700 Measurement of DIY Firstwatt F6 Clone

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
In the AHB2 thread, I said I've been obsessed with making different types of power amplifiers for myself. In this thread I will measure one of the units.

If I didn't get it wrong, Nelson Pass's FirstWatt collection is a public release design and encourages DIY. I think DIY Power Amp based on the design released by this series for myself use will not involve infringement of intellectual property rights.

This is the finished product of DIY:

Photo.jpg

Rear.jpg

It is based on the design of FirstWatt F6, and I made some efforts in the selection of components during the production process.

I knew before production that this was not a high-performance unit. From the few Firstwatts I chose to make, I'm just curious about the characteristics of some special circuit architectures.

Let's take a look at it now:

4R5WDash.jpg

8R1W.jpg

8R10W.jpg

Noise.jpg

Dynamic-Range---NoWt.jpg

8R1W-THD-Ratio.jpg

8R-THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

8R-THD-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

8R-SMPTE-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

8R1WGain.jpg

Recently I have also been thinking about some measurement issues. The following Multitone is a result of my thinking: Take a multi-tone measurement with pink noise attenuation and read TD + N. I personally think that the characteristics of music sounds are closer to the distribution of pink noise, and polyphony is closer to the actual situation of music sounds.

WolfMTDN.jpg

Summary: The result of DIY should be to or even exceed the Spec on the Owner's Manual. From a DIY perspective, it should be successful.

JIW

Recently I have also been thinking about some measurement issues. The following Multitone is a result of my thinking: Take a multi-tone measurement with pink noise attenuation and read TD + N. I personally think that the characteristics of music sounds are closer to the distribution of pink noise, and polyphony is closer to the actual situation of music sounds.
Have a look at the signal with EIA-426B spectrum and 12 dB crest factor used by Dr. Anselm Goertz for Sound & Recording and Fidelity Online.

Test signal is a multi-sine wave with 60 excitation frequencies and a weighting according to EIA-426B was used for an average music signal. The signal has a crest factor of 12 dB. The graph in Figure 15 shows, the spectrum of the excitation signal (green curve), the measured spectrum of the radiated from the speaker signal (red), and the extracted distortion components thereof (blue).
Source: https://www.fidelity-online.de/2015/12/16/neumann-kh-420-messungen/

Last edited:
Top Bottom