• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiring Speakon and Banana plugs

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can see how using a ferrule assures that the strands stay together, so the connection can be improved.
The ferrule adds resistance, so is likely that ferrules add more than they take away, or is it just so small that it does not matter?

- Rich

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Crimping ferrules went well.
1714093423002.jpeg

Thanks to all for the advice.

- Rich

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The ferrule adds resistance, so is likely that ferrules add more than they take away, or is it just so small that it does not matter?

The copper is pressed so firmly inside the ferrules as to make an incredibly low resistance connection. It's better than soldering, lasts longer and is much stronger.

Just for fun, crimp on a ferrule to a loop of scrap wire and try to pull it apart...

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks good! Are those the WBT ones?
Yes, those are WBT going into WBT. Yeah, probably not worth it.
Though, I expect stripping the wires and creating new connections after 8 years, is a good thing.

I also plan to redo the SpeakOns with ferrules in a week or so.

- Rich

Last edited:

poopy

Yes, those are WBT going into WBT. Yeah, probably not worth it.
Though, I expect stripping the wires and creating new connections after 8 years, isa good thing.

I also plan to redo the SpeakOns with ferrules in a week or so.

- Rich

I suppose even though total resistance has now dropped, say by 100mOhm, between amp and speaker terminal, I don't see how you're going to hear any difference...

However, the connection you have now is neat and can't be improved much I'd think. Which is the overall goal I figure of your operation.

Which WBT banana plugs are you referring to?
I like those ones:

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose even though total resistance has now dropped, say by 100mOhm, between amp and speaker terminal, I don't see how you're going to hear any difference...

However, the connection you have now is neat and can't be improved much I'd think. Which is the overall goal I figure of your operation.

Which WBT banana plugs are you referring to?
I like those ones:

Those are the ones.

- Rich

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went back a reworked the SpeakOns on all channels using Ferrules.
Some didn't need it but others where a bit wonky, especially the first attempts to wire them.

Do they sound better, I think so, but after this effort, I have to :p

I found this at the end of an Audioholics video that demonstrates the value of compressing the wire connectors.
They don't make the case for ferrules directly, but I think the case is made.

I bought WBT because they are the best and price was not an issue.
But if it were, I think I might just use Ferrules at the speaker and insert them directly into the binding posts.

- Rich

poopy

Not sure how you would use ferrules directly at the speakers. You may need a low gauge speaker cable so that the diameter of the compressed ferrule fitted on the cable is large enough to fit exactly in the holes of your speaker binding posts? I mean you’d need the thickness of a regular banana plug.

rcstevensonaz

Forum Donor
Not sure how you would use ferrules directly at the speakers. You may need a low gauge speaker cable so that the diameter of the compressed ferrule fitted on the cable is large enough to fit exactly in the holes of your speaker binding posts? I mean you’d need the thickness of a regular banana plug.
I suspect they have 5-way binding posts and would insert the ferrule-crimped wire the same way they would use bare wire. Slide it into the bare wire hole, and screw down the binding post to grip it in place.

rcstevensonaz

Forum Donor
I suspect they have 5-way binding posts and would insert the ferrule-crimped wire the same way they would use bare wire. Slide it into the bare wire hole, and screw down the binding post to grip it in place.
Of course, this triggered a very pressing research question... what are the 5 different ways? (Especially since I was supposed to be doing "real work" today instead :cool:)

Wikipedia provides a summary of the 5 methods for the Binding Post, which was originally produced by General Radio. The ferrule-crimped wire would correspond to the "pin connector" method:
  1. Banana plugs, inserted into the top open end of the binding post.
  2. Bare wire inserted through the same hole and clamped.
  3. Bare wire wrapped around the metal post and clamped.
  4. Pin connector, inserted into a hole drilled through the metal post and clamped by the screw-down portion of the binding post.
  5. Alligator clip.
Of course, Wikipedia is not entirely correct... it was updated to add the Alligator clip (method #5), but method #3 should instead be a Spade Lug. At least, according to General Radio. And based on my limited research, General Radio should know since they invented the damn thing.

Going further back in time, this General Radio catalog (1948) shows the part "Binding Post 938" on page number 206. Interestingly, this article in The General Radio Experimenter (June 1952) shows a 6th connection method on page 3; but that method is only available for 938 binding posts that have a metal rather than plastic part for the top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom