• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
14 people need to explain their vote lol
Screenshot_20211224-000417.jpg

DWI

What bugs me some is the brand recognition stuff that goes on. I am not sure how it happened, but Wilson Audio is a Stereophile fav along with others. While other brands that make really stellar bookshelves (which these days are my preference, I admit) like Gauder in Germany or TAD in Japan never get tested or promotion in the US despite their engineering merits.There are many others of course.
Another thing I would like to point out is that cabinet resonances are always and invariably labeled as horrible flaws in reviews that provide measurements (and I always appreciate measurements btw). Then again, isn't a Stradivarius special *because* of its resonance? I get the fact that, to truthfully present the sound of a Stradivarius, you want a stellar recording and a highly accurate system. But what is someone prefers a somewhat flawed and resonant system that flatters poorer recordings they like and extracts better entertainment out of those?
In the end, I just shrug my shoulders and let people enjoy their choices. Maybe a Stradivarius or an Ibanez sounds so special *because* they have harmonics that are somewhat out of the perfect spec that sounds... sterile. Listening to music is not an exact science.
Now I am confusing myself because I rationally prefer "well measuring" equipment and a neutral presentation, but can't get myself to condemn stuff that measures poorly yet seems to sound sweet - which I have regularly encountered. I can't imagine Devore speakers driven by a tube amp ever measuring well, but a friend of mine owns that and good heavens does it ever sound amazing with classical or many jazz albums.
That said, there are clearly audio companies in the US you can't quite afford to upset - I think Amir would have murdered these if he'd treated them like the other equipment he reviews, but he was uncharacteristically careful in his conclusion, that's just my interpretation. I am and shall stay a faithful supporter of this site, so I hope no one sees it as an attack to it. It's not. It just reflects the same duality I alluded to above: stuff may sometimes measure like crap, yet sound amazingly entertaining in the real world...
I would question the idea that someone goes to buy Wilson speakers because they read about them in Stereophile. We went to buy speakers and could have bought from any of about 4 or 5 brands. I'd heard other Wilson speakers before. I'd not read about them in Stereophile, but then I don't subscribe. Nor had I looked at the Wilson website. My wife was the final arbiter as she has to live with them as much as me. She's never looked at an audio magazine and if asked the brand name of the speakers we own would not know. I don't think we are that uncommon for people who buy from bricks and mortar stores.

I think it is much more the people who buy online who are dependent on these print and online resources and rely more on brand recognition.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Oh I dont want to prove anything. Just bring some contra weight to the subject and looking with an open view on things.
Maybe naive, but i can not get it, that an army of educated designers would make so much effort to make a very good woofer sound bad. It would cost them a lot less effort to make it sound conform floyd toole's curves.
So trying to understand the idea behind it.

I dont want to focus on the bass...but seems everyone comes back only on that part.
What intrigues me most is the good sound of the wobbly on and off axis measurements.

Most important is to get the enjoyment from the music we like...all the stuff we use isnt really that important in the end. I rather listen to music I like on a transtor radio then listen to something I dont like on the best system possible.

You keep mentioning the bolded part above, but I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean 'wobbly' frequency response or 'wobbly' directivity, because this speaker has both. The former was more or less corrected by EQ. The latter cannot be, but is very common to speakers which lack waveguides and/or fail to address baffle diffraction (among other things). Fortunately for this design, horizontal directivity is wide enough to overcome its unevenness.

Bass exaggeration is a head-scratcher, as no sane company would market a speaker that has to be placed exactly 75cm from the front wall in an otherwise anechoic room, which is what you think must be likely.

What intrigues me is that you seem to continue to assert all this is intentional. Why would you make that assumption?

What is much more likely to me is a scenario in which Wilson applied all their house construction techniques and gimmicks, exaggerated the bass to achieve 'showroom sound,' decided it sounded good enough for the garish audiophile crowd, and slapped a high price tag on it as an add-on item.

Last edited:

KxDx

The Chinese aren't stupid. They don't compete just on cost these days, they own most of manufacturing because others -first and foremost the USA- totally gave up the know-how to create flexible, highly programmable Industry 4.0 manufacturing environments. It's really not the fact workers in China just make 5% of US workers. That hasn't been the case in forever provided it ever was. The US can't compete in manufacturing because it gave up the expertise in many fields thereof (not all).
And the "Made in the US" mantra cannot change the fact these were poorly engineered and are silly in their high end pretense given how they measure. I did listen to 100k+ speakers by this brand before in a friend's place that scored it big in a Slicon Valley IPO. I was not impressed with the sound although I'll admit they were potentially poorly set up and they were played way too loud.
I agree that the measurements do not justify the price. Not something I would buy if I even could afford it. But these are "audio furniture" first and "high fidelity" second (if that). Just like tube DAC's and $1000 per foot power cords, these speakers aren't made for the ASR crowd.

DWI

How was it politically incorrect? I am willing to offer an immediate apology if it was. I *am* a supporter of this site and vote for it with my wallet. I can however be free to somewhat question why some products get more gentle treatment than others in the audio industry. I invite disagreement. I don't think offering a personal opinion in an online forum is "politically incorrect" when it merely refers to personal analysis of audio equipment.

I never implied the review was in any way compromised by the manufacturer's involvement. I just said that WA seem to be a sacred cow in in the US audiophile world, and it seems the subjective listening experience seems for some reason to soften the low the analytical measurements would otherwise seem to merit.
From what I read in the UK, many magazines favour certain brands and smaller ones don't get a look-in. Hardly surprising. And why would a print mag cover Topping knowing it gets done here, plus they won't ever get advertising revenue?

I've bought a couple of things having read about them here and nowhere else. They are not sold retail so you have to take a chance.

I met a most charming guy, a very serious musician, I sold him some speakers. He actually reviewed a piece of equipment that was named after him! The designer is one of his oldest friends. It appeared in a well-known magazine.

I have a superb turntable, UK designed and made by an engineering company that machine a lot of audio for over companies, two excellent mainstream print reviews. They sold about 30 of them because they never got a dealer network and you can't sell an unknown brand online.

Just illustrates the weird nature of the audio industry, which seems to operate in so many different ways on different levels.

JRS

Major Contributor
14 people need to explain their vote lol
View attachment 174284
Likely drunk or wanted to punk the survey. No one in their right mind gives those msmts a glance, and gives it a thumbs up. I suspect there is a whole host of 500/pr speakers that measure better. Recently theres been a spate of these--the Hegel Integrated and the forget the name but a multichannel amp that didn't have the gas, and Audioholic's Gene got involved and what a mess, the maker blaming a transformer mix up, etc.

Crosstalk

I think this is a popular "hi end" tuning. That peak of that bass is intentional, the drums sound louder and gives that feel of being in the middle of the band even if it wasnt present in the recording. It backlashes with certain other recording. I listened to the Canton reference 7k recently and noticed this, the kick drums sound louder all the time like how it sounds near a band. But in a recording normally its more flattened by choice. So in a way on some scenarios , this tuning goes into preference of many people if they dont know it isnt how its supposed to sound. Honestly the kef R11 I compared it with was very "meh" sounding but thats how the hifi business is running. They all know how to make it flat, yet they dont do it as the religion likes it the other way

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could you please link me to the 2 threads?

I assumed you had a reason why you think this happens.
I guess where I find it confusing, is while I believe I have heard to "Some extent" what you are talking about, I have never heard a small speaker, supplemented with a sub that was well integrated properly to sound "Toy like and miniscule".....

More recent thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sound-big-and-smaller-ones-sound-small.21481/

The other one was around sometime when I joined the forum, I really don't like this forum's search compared to XenForo. IIRC the replies were fairly similar to the one I linked. It's also discussed in the video review of the Genelec 8361a thread.

Amir at 19 minutes for listening test of 8361a, specifically mentions large orchestral music. These are not even small speakers in comparison to most monitor speakers.

As for my comment about sounding like a toy, yes the LSR306 MK2, even with a pair of subwoofers that are properly integrated flat out sounds like a toy compared to the best that I have heard symphony music sound like in the home. I deleted my Imgur account for privacy reasons so the image is no longer showing in my thread, but the system that Bjorn pictured here was very similar to the one I was posting about on page two of that thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...controlled-directivity-horn.1120/post-1018018 (his directivity measurements are actually better than the system I heard)

Last edited:

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It’s been mentioned that research points to neutral speakers sounding best, and the speaker ratings are given with and without an ideal sub.

But for a speaker that cannot reproduce full range and will not be used with a sub has it been answered if a mid bass boost is preferred? Obviously that’s the approach taken here, and it would be interesting to know if this technique has merit.

aktiondan

What I find most puzzling above all is the ~110 Hz tuning frequency. I've built some small speakers in my day and never have I tuned a box above 100 Hz on purpose. I thought for a second there must be an error, then I took a better look at the picture amir took of the backside and couldn't believe it when I realized you can basically see poly-fil through the slot port. That port isn't even a real port! It's only the depth of the back panel, in other words, it's basically just a hole. Which you better believe just a regular ole' hole in a box will drive the tuning frequency to the moon for sure.

For kicks I modeled the ScanSpeak 15W/8530K-00 5.5" Revelator Woofer (specs on Madisound, might be different but close enough for a sanity check) in a sealed, normal/standard vented alignment (flat) and this monstrosity. The driver basically only needs 17L and with the external dimensions of the TuneTot we've got around 22L max to play with depending on wall thickness. Assume walls are thicker than most and some massive crossover exists on that back panel and we end up at around 17L net. So far so good, they've got the volume. In a sealed alignment the box is a bit large, resulting in an overall system Q of 0.55. It's not terrible, overdamped a bit but still usable. In a vented alignment a "normal" tuning frequency would be more like 38 Hz, which results in an f3 of 35 Hz. Nice! All from a 17L box too. Port length will be an issue, but whatever, give me that deep bass! And then last we take that port and shrink it down to only 3/4" and you end up with what amir measured here, this massive underdamped, incredibly peaked response at around ~110 Hz. Low-end suffers, transient response suffers (based on model). It's an usual design choice for sure.

I'm in the process of performing some subtle mods to a commercial speaker I picked up and literally one of the first things I did that honestly has made it sound so much better was to lengthen the port by just 2 inches. It dropped the tuning frequency from 72 Hz to 56 Hz. For me that was a welcomed improvement. Obviously not everyone shares the same opinion of what makes up an ideal tuning frequency. Even though there are standard models (using T/S params) for this kind of thing so that they can be done properly. At the very least they could have tuned this speaker anywhere from 38 Hz to even 70, or 80 or 90 Hz and it would have had some of that mid-bass punch they were going for without being so over the top. The only option is to run them sealed with a sub, high-passed at ~70 Hz (where excursion bottoms out) and maybe they'll do the job just fine.

wilsontunetot.PNG

tuningoptions.PNG

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL. This has to be the most predictable-ASR-responses thread of all time. Sending a Wilson speaker to ASR for evaluation, given their price, audiophile rep, and known response errors....especially a teeny $10,000 model!....is like gently lowering a wriggling lamb in to a den of starving lions. There's hardly any wondering at what will happen and the thread didn't disappoint for the expected braying and bloodletting. The opportunity to tear apart one of the audiophile Crown Jewel brands, known for luxury pricing, is pure catharsis for the cohort that is attracted to the ASR site.

Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

The most surprising aspect is Amirm's actual review, the interesting combination of how the (predictably wonky) measurements combine at points in interesting ways, as pointed out by Amirm, combined with Amirm's listening impression. I agree that ideally blind listening would be employed, but unlike some I do enjoy Amirm's listening impressions. Even taken at a lowered-confidence-level being sighted, it's intriguing to see how some of the idiosyncrasies in a speaker measurement play out when Amirm listens. In other words I not only like to see notable characteristics in a measurement pointed out, but I can still be left asking "Ok, to what are the sonic consequences subjectively? Because that's what I care about anyway. How does all this add up in how it SOUNDS?" If a careful listener like Amirm reports "Not as obvious as the measurements might seem to imply" or whatever, I take that as possibly useful information, even if not on the level of scientifically vetted.

I haven't heard a Wilson speaker in ages so I don't know if I'd get anything out of one on casual listening. But Amirm's measurement/listening review is a nice addition, and in some cases antidote, for the existing subjective reviews out there which don't have measurements.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Or maybe that they'd only sell a few but still make a bunch of money due to the pricing?
Yup. I’m only guessing, but I have to wonder if these are primarily targeted at existing Wilson customers who already own a pair of their >$100K speakers and want something smaller for a secondary listening area. Once you’re price anchored at $100K plus, $10K probably sounds pretty reasonable.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
After a quick glance, it appears the port functions better as a carrying handle than it does as an acoustic device.
That was the way I carried it!!!

aj625

There will always be such products in every field which rely more on brand image and more margin even if number of sale is less. There will always be market too for such products because for many people status is more important than actual performance. It's the sites like ASR which clearly segregate products by means of objective approach. Now it's someone's own choice to spend money on such products even after knowing the poor performance.

Last edited:

JRS

Major Contributor
LOL. This has to be the most predictable-ASR-responses thread of all time. Sending a Wilson speaker to ASR for evaluation, given their price, audiophile rep, and known response errors....especially a teeny $10,000 model!....is like gently lowering a wriggling lamb in to a den of starving lions. There's hardly any wondering at what will happen and the thread didn't disappoint for the expected braying and bloodletting. The opportunity to tear apart one of the audiophile Crown Jewel brands, known for luxury pricing, is pure catharsis for the cohort that is attracted to the ASR site.

Not that there's anything wrong with that :)
That is some fine writing. Did you say you were a engineer?

Top Bottom