• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will this work to fill a stand ?

GabrielPhoto

I don't want to use sand or lead for my center stand so was wondering if this will work
Z QINGZHENG Slingshots, 1/4 Inch 6.35mm Precision Steel Ball Bearing Slingshot Ammo, 3000pcs https://a.co/d/bodXUFU

Thanks

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Anything with weight should work. But I wouldn't expect it to affect the sound.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't want to use sand or lead for my center stand so was wondering if this will work
Z QINGZHENG Slingshots, 1/4 Inch 6.35mm Precision Steel Ball Bearing Slingshot Ammo, 3000pcs https://a.co/d/bodXUFU

Thanks
Of course. Fill em up with broken glass and sea shells if you want. But that’ll work fine too. :)

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
That much steel next to the driver magnets might affect the magnetic field of the drivers. I don't know enough about these fields to make an educated guess if it will be audible. My uneducated guess is it won't be audible.

Chesapeake HT

Thanks
Pea gravel is much cheaper. I used some putty at the bottom and took my time filling the stands. (Can do that outside to minimize dust if that’s a concern.). If you go that route, let the gravel dry out for several days before filling your stand.

I had no expectations that the sound would improve. I was just looking to add mass for better stability for my surround stands.

Good luck either way.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used sand and leadshot. Either can dampen vibration a bit vs ball bearings or pea gravel. However, after having sand escape containment, I've since used pea gravel after I wash it. Takes a bigger hole to leak out of and about as heavy.

rgpit

Forum Donor
I was thinking of using this instead of sand in my speaker stands. They ring like a bell unfilled. Has anyone tried using spray foam sealant?

iu

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I sense potential for mayhem if you spill those.
I sene possibly resonated noises with lower frequencies.

Thanks
Just put some cheap workout hand weights that have a rubberized outer coating.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Grossly overpriced. We used 75 lb bags in monument factory. At Amazon price, we would have sought bankruptcy.

The pricing disadvantage of buying single unit quantities from a commercial vendor are explicitly amplified when purchasing from said vendor on Amazon. However, that does not negate the efficacy of using said product for the OP's purpose. Local suppliers would probably be a better route for the OP. Unfortunately, that requires more than a mere Google search for the product in question.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
The pricing disadvantage of buying single unit quantities from a commercial vendor are explicitly amplified when purchasing from said vendor on Amazon. However, that does not negate the efficacy of using said product for the OP's purpose. Local suppliers would probably be a better route for the OP. Unfortunately, that requires more than a mere Google search for the product in question.
I remember "steel shot" days fondly. This was before OSHA intruded. Trained at age 12. Load 5 or 6 bags in hopper. Monument was polished with rectangular cutouts on a rubber medium. As long as the nozzle never stopped moving, rubber medium protected polished surface. Learned the "art" quickly due to painful spray back. The steel shot roughened the surface. Just the right amount to avoid pitting. Pitting resulted in painful recriminations from grandfather and father. Sandblasting was another story. No trust until 16. Very difficult and high skill level. One worker passed out in sandblast room after night out, and Dad found him with 4 inch depression in granite slumped over the nozzle. Thank God his face stayed away from the nozzle.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I was thinking of using this instead of sand in my speaker stands. They ring like a bell unfilled. Has anyone tried using spray foam sealant?

iu

Use silicone for it's fundamental frequency (9.5 Hz) if you don't want any ringing.

Martinvb

I used concrete filled PVC tubes: makes my LS50’s stand perfectly still in space :cool:

Attachments

• 0F99AD5B-F929-4693-BA16-08D243FD0A7E.jpeg
    0F99AD5B-F929-4693-BA16-08D243FD0A7E.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 39
OP
G

GabrielPhoto

So I am a bit clueless when it comes to shot, like steel blasting media or other similar size material...how many lbs would I need to fill this stand?
I dont expect exact numbers but ballpark figure would help

sam_adams

Major Contributor
So I am a bit clueless when it comes to shot, like steel blasting media or other similar size material...how many lbs would I need to fill this stand?
I dont expect exact numbers but ballpark figure would help

The bulk density of steel shot blast media is ≈ 300 lbs/cf. You would probably need only about 25 lbs of 70 grit blast media. Just measure the tubing and apply the correct volume formula.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tire shops have buckets of used lead wheel weights that they get a pittance for. For $20 I bet you could walk away with plenty. Lead dust is an issue soild is not.

Top Bottom