• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker stands.. what is ASR's take on it.?

Jaxjax

I just weld my own up & fill. Then use large rubber bottle stoppers under speakers, floor sliders under stands & done. I have however tried all kinds of crazy crap & want to know what ASR members have measured when using different stands or methods of coupling ,decoupling, spiked ,steel, wood, shape ,size, etc. Also when I say crazy I mean it as I used to way back when,.... try everything from bearings, to controlled mag-lev. & many , many other things. Nowadays it's rubber stoppers under everything including my turntable. Cheap & effective although I have never measured any of this.
Joe

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Stands can make a difference because the position, location in the room, and the angle can make a difference.

Ethan Winer did some experiments with isolators and they didn't do anything. Isolation might help if something is vibrating/rattling.

Nowadays it's rubber stoppers under everything
It doesn't do anything for electronics. Except some tubes are microphonic, but usually you have to shock/knock the tube directly to hear anything. And hopefully you don't have tubes.

everything including my turntable.
Turntables can pick-up vibrations that get amplified by high-gain phono preamp. A phono preamp has RIAA equalization, which means low frequencies get the most gain. Sometimes you can get feedback if you put the turntable on a speaker. But I think isolation requires "soft springs" for a lower-than-audio resonance frequency.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Using a stand to time align my drivers so I can enjoy some prog

king-crimson-1181452.jpeg

OP
Jaxjax

Jaxjax

What I mean by cheap & effective on the rubber stoppers is only to protect my gear, speration between rack pieces etc, Not for audible anything. My stands are about 125 lbs with 55lbs monitors. My TT is in a spot you never see as its in reaching distance directly in front of me & forward of the speakers. Never an issue even at high spl . The TT is 50lbs on its own & on glass off all things..lol The Feikerts TT's have spikes into small steel dishes on bottom. I am surprised no one here has measured hollow floor systems vs concrete slabs with coupled & non coupled etc.. You would think the crawl space gig on certain floor systems would create problems .
Joe

dfuller

Major Contributor
I use Sound Anchors. They're about the only stands on the market that can actually adjust low enough for the "not quite floor standers, but certainly not bookshelves" speakers out there - think the size class of KH420s, ATC SCM50s, PSI A25Ms, etc etc - to be at the right acoustic axis.

dfuller

Major Contributor
This guy has done some testing showing measured differences:
To say his testing is fraught would be the understatement of the century.

Top Bottom