• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of Stand on Studio Monitor

perion

I'm considering buying Sound Anchors ADJ4's monitor stands for a pair of the Genelec 8341A's, The platform, on which the monitors sit, is height adjustable. So if the platform is not set near the top of the upright steel tubing, a good portion (or all) of the back of the monitor will be facing, and within a couple of inches at most, that upright. Note: the upright steel tubing is ~4" wide and 2" deep - an image of the Sound Anchors ADJ4 stand is at the end of this message.

Now, it might be possible to orient the stands so that the back of the monitor, most importantly the port, is not facing the upright steel tubing. In that case, the upright tubing would be close to one of the monitor's sides.

My concern is that either (or both) of these orientations might result in reflection/diffraction issues. Am I right to be concerned about this, or am I overthinking it?

Thanks,

Paul

p.s., The reason the adjustability of the monitor platform is important to me is that on some occasions I'll be sitting, and at other times I'll want to stand.

ADJ4-1.jpg

OP
P

perion

It is all about ear level alignment. Very little else to it. Recommended. Dont overspend on the idiotically overpriced branded stands. Bluetack will go.
Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated!

I don't quite get the Bluetack reference. Is that a brand of stands, or is that Blu-Tack (i.e., the adhesive putty?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated!

I don't quite get the Bluetack reference. Is that a brand of stands, or is that Blu-Tack (i.e., the adhesive putty?

Some people will use things like bricks or breeze blocks to raise up their speakers and just use blu-tack between the speaker and the 'stand'.

OP
P

perion

I'd want them to be motorized and automatically track my position in the room for $1300!

Sound Anchors does make a motorized, non-tracking monitor stand that starts at $1,500 ... unfortunately, that's just for one :)

OP
P

perion

Some people will use things like bricks or breeze blocks to raise up their speakers and just use blu-tack between the speaker and the 'stand'.

Got it, thanks!

A little bit ago, I came across a YouTuber who tested some cheap speaker stands versus concrete blocks ... the concrete blocks did not fare very well sonically. Unfortunately, I don't remember who did it ... but, if anyone is interested, I'll try to find it.

ozzy9832001

I've used many different stands in my day and honestly, couldn't tell a difference between any of them. I go for functionality over anything else. I prefer the tripod type stands because in my house floors aren't super even and they give me the best stability. If you are listening in the nearfield, height is going to be the single biggest factor on which stands you get. I'm not a fan of angling speakers upward.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why not König & Meyer 26785? They are specifically designed for 83x1 series, adjustable including tilt, cables can be hidden, is very stable and really not expensive - you can easily get two of K&M for price of one Sound Anchor and even be left with a few hundreds

Last edited:
OP
P

perion

Why not König & Meyer 26785? They are specifically designed for 83x1 series, adjustable including tilt, cables can be hidden, is very stable and really not expensive - you can easily get two of K&M for price of one Sound Anchor and even be left with a few hundreds

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

That's a really nice stand; but, unfortunately it won't work in my situation. One of the advantages of the Sound Anchors ADJ4 is the base - because of the 2 prongs on the base I'm able to place it partially behind my desk (i.e., one prong underneath the desk and the other one on the outside of it
There's a fair bit of technical discussion of stands/feet/spikes on ASR if you look. e.g. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-etc-couple-or-de-couple-your-speakers.8636/

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Top Bottom