• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will having an external DAC on my x2400h will improve SQ for music?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely. Achieving an in-room response improvement something like these is FAR more important than inserting an objectively better DAC.

View attachment 187881

View attachment 187882

View attachment 187883

View attachment 187884
View attachment 187885

I bought a pair of Modiuses during a brief period of chasing SINAD. I found that I cannot hear a difference between a Modius with ~114dB SINAD and my Nova300 with ~86dB SINAD and my AVR with ~76 or ~94dB SINAD (depending on the operational mode). They all sound perfectly transparent to me.

Fantastic! Thank you for posting your Dirac vs Audyssey results too, that's the first time I have seen such a direct comparison because of XT32 sub EQ HT (with the App presumable) vs DL that I assume you have the latest version. All other comparisons I have seen posted were for the older versions and even the ones using XT32 were before the App was available.

The results look similar to my experience from beta testing DL two years ago and that may explain partially why yours do look better. DL has improved since. The claims that it is superior to Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ HT may be true and provable, but may also be true to a degree for various reasons that it may not be worth chasing either. I do plan on chasing regardless, but my goal is set very low as I am going to do to satisfy my curiosity. So even if it can do much better than the beta, I will use somehow somewhere.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Fantastic! Thank you for posting your Dirac vs Audyssey results too, that's the first time I have seen such a direct comparison because of XT32 sub EQ HT (with the App presumable) vs DL that I assume you have the latest version. All other comparisons I have seen posted were for the older versions and even the ones using XT32 were before the App was available.

The results look similar to my experience from beta testing DL two years ago and that may explain partially why yours do look better. DL has improved since. The claims that it is superior to Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ HT may be true and provable, but may also be true to a degree for various reasons that it may not be worth chasing either. I do plan on chasing regardless, but my goal is set very low as I am going to do to satisfy my curiosity. So even if it can do much better than the beta, I will use somehow somewhere.

I have a 4700H with the MultiEQ app for Android (and Ratbuddyssey) and a license for Dirac Live 3 Standalone for PC. The measurements were taken at different times, but overlaying the Pure Direct and Uncorrected plots shows the measurements are repeatable.

(Unfortunately, I used different smoothing on those graphs. I also somehow did not save the left and right measurements for the Dirac session. I need to re-measure everything anyway, so I will take a lot of measurements and create a thread on the comparison between the two.)

I used similar target curves to set up both solutions. The nod goes to Dirac for the UI/UX in doing so. I have an inexpensive Bluetooth mouse to help with manipulating the target curve in MultiEQ, but it still a little bit frustrating.

You can still see they are both similarly effective in certain ranges. Dirac does a better job above the bass octaves, because XT32 reserves fewer taps up there. Obviously, XT32 does a nice job of integrating the subs.

All in all, I am quite satisfied with both solutions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom