• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro Plus V Eversolo ‘can you handle the truth’

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am using optical out into the KEFs ( optically encoded s/pdif) so yes digital into the KEFs.
I am going to use another Wiim with a pair of KEF LS50s, neither the LSX or the LS50s wireless have traditional left/right analogues ‘ins’.
The LS60s might or I might have a pair of Hedd’s somewhere.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Wiim wonderland, connected a Pro Plus up to the LS50s added a KC62, again optical out of the Wiim into the KEFS.
Using Roon to control everything , because this room is quite a way from the router using the ethernet connection of the Wiim.
IMG_3159.jpeg

I will tidy everything sound quality from the LS50s is superb.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I haven’t found any disadvantages to the Wiim , next step is to compare analogue outs of both the Eversolo DMP A-6 and the Wiim Pro Plus.
Which would be much easier if the Wiim Pro Plus had XLR ‘outs’.
IMG_3161.jpeg

Keith

Reactions: MKR
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Results of the Wiim Pro Plus versus Eversolo DMP A-6 shootout added, the result will shock you,
no not really.

Keith

Reactions: MKR

MKR

Major Contributor
Results of the Wiim Pro Plus versus Eversolo DMP A-6 shootout added, the result will shock you,
no not really.

Keith
Nice Keith! Given your conclusion, it would seem I can in fact continue to trust your opinions … I shall keep you on my friends list :p

Now we just need to get Wiim to add AES outputs and we will really be rockin!

Tangband

Major Contributor
no not really.

Keith
I cant read the result in the blog , how can I do it ?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You can’t because I haven’t written it, ideally I need to get two pairs of identical ‘traditional’ actives ie analogue in , level match and compare but I don’t have any speakers here that fit the bill.
Perhaps the next p/x against 8Cs.
To be candid I don’t expect there to be any difference between the Eversolo and the Wiim Pro Plus.
Keith

jeffme

Forum Donor
@Purité Audio - honest question here... given the huge price disparity, why would anyone choose the Eversolo over a WiiM Pro?

Balanced output? Could get that with a $100 Topping DAC
Screen? ok... sure...
Music Library storage - ok, but how many streaming connections does it support? Wouldn't a Roon Server on a NUC or Mac Mini be preferable?

I feel like there's something obvious about the Eversolo that I must be missing, given the rave reviews it gets. (Of course, I have that confusion about most "high end" streamers...)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
As pure streamers there is no sound quality difference, if you look at Amir’s measurements for the A-6 and @vintageflankers for the Wiim Pro plus they are both audibly transparent , you are left with a feature set, aesthetics which app you prefer …
Keith

jeffme

Forum Donor
Keith - thanks for the reply. I'm truly baffled by the market reaction to the Eversolo, but that just might be my focus on multi-room home audio. The Eversolo's appeal goes down further when you think about buying more than 1...

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Point taken, I use Roon and quite a number of Wiim Pro Plus’s in various rooms, like almost everything it’s value or not depends upon your particular scenario..
Keith

Westsounds

This man says it compares to DACs costing £60! So there! :D

I know he seems to have fairly large ears, but the contrast he hears between DACs is quite simply staggering!

He also describes one DAC as sounding like a steel string acoustic guitar and the other more like a nylon string guitar, have you ever heard a subjective appraisal more ridiculous than that!? He's talking about two totally different instruments while referring to two well-made DACs which probably sound more the same than they do different. :)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Almost everything you read or see is a lie, education is the answer, a little technical knowledge cuts straight through the deception.
I don’t understand why more listeners who consider HI-Fi as their hobby don’t actually learn more about it, it’s almost as if they want to believe the fairy stories.
Thank goodness for this place.
Keith

Westsounds

Almost everything you read or see is a lie, education is the answer, a little technical knowledge cuts straight through the deception.
I don’t understand why more listeners who consider HI-Fi as their hobby don’t actually learn more about it, it’s almost as if they want to believe the fairy stories.
Thank goodness for this place.
Keith
Yes and a lot of it is an absolute con!

Zensō

Major Contributor
Believing in “fairy stories” is a common and perhaps even normal part of being human (look at politics, religion, just about any human endeavor). Audiophiles are not generally exempt from that proclivity.

Top Bottom