• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro Plus V Eversolo ‘can you handle the truth’

Westsounds

Believing in “fairy stories” is a common and perhaps even normal part of being human (look at politics, religion, just about any human endeavor). Audiophiles are not generally exempt from that proclivity.
As Keith has said thankfully there are sources of solace like this forum which has become well established now. The only trouble is people are taking this literally now as well by thinking well if the measurements are that good then it has to be the best. Unfortunately sound is subjective also and is down to taste as well, and we all know the fact, there’s no accounting for taste :)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The interesting question is always how much distortion do you have to add before you can actually hear a difference, and if a component does sound different that will made explicit from its measurements.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Absolutely!
1000 hours is often not enough.
Keith

Westsounds

Absolutely!
1000 hours is often not enough.
Keith
Ok, good. I tend to agree, electronics do need a settle in period where things change, speakers in particular as they have mechanical parts as well as electronics which become less-stiff for want of better words.

Others don’t always accept this burn in phenomenon, and in some cases it can be impossible to measure accurately and say it’s just the brain adjusting and adapting to a different sound.

Look forward to your subjective comparison. Level matched and hopefully blind swapped if you can pull it off, otherwise we'll have to take your unbiased 'as possible' view of it.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Actually I don’t believe in ‘burn-in’ whatsoever, I always believed that it was a term invented by dealers,
customer, ‘I really don’t like the sound of this…
retailer, ah just let it burn in.
Burn in just takes longer than the return period.
Temperature stabilisation does exist.
Keith

Westsounds

I always believed that it was a term invented by dealers, customer, ‘I really don’t like the sound of this… retailer, ah just let it burn in. Burn in just takes longer than the return period.
As I said ' just the brain adjusting and adapting to a different sound.' Given enough time, the brain can tune out to even the most dissonant of sounds, perhaps that explains the burn-in that some experience. :)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Absolutely it is those very first few minutes before your brain adjusts, that is actually what the equipment sounds like.
Keith

Westsounds

Why the Eversolo anyway out of interest. Is this your benchmark DAC as far as you are concerned, have you not had other DACs which subjectively sound better to you. Not a fan of the higher priced R2Rs which seem to be sweeping many off their feet? :)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I firmly believe dacs are done, just glance over the units Amir has tested/measured just choose on facilities/aesthetics.
That is not to say all dacs sound the same some manufacturers steadfastly maintain the ‘high end’ tradition of really poor design coupled with exorbitant pricing.
Keith

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I already know the answer … no audible difference … if you come to a different conclusion, then I will start to doubt everything you say thereafter :p

I have both. The DMP-A6 on my main system in the living room and the Wiim Pro Plus in my office. Very little if any difference in audio quality. I don't think any normal person could tell a difference with good headphones. The biggest difference is the price. Second, is the looks. The screen on the Eversolo does look great and I like seeing what is currently playing without having to look at the app on my phone. The CD ripping capability on the DMP-A6 is also a nice extra feature to me. Installed a 1TB ssd drive in the A6 and ripped my CDs to it a plug in $25 usb drive. FYI, you can also use the plug in usb cd drive to play music CDs. The A6 has a CD app that does both. No audible difference between the plug in usb drive and my Onkyo CD player. I use the Onkyo player as a transport using the DAC in the A6 with a coax connection. I will say the DAC in the A6 is good and much better than the one in the Onkyo.

The Wiim Pro Plus has a line in option and an optical input. I did not try connecting the CD player to the optical, but I bet it would work too. Now I'm thinking I need to hook up an old blu-ray player to the optical connection and be able to play CDs in the office too.

Edit: I hooked up a Sony blu-ray player to the optical in on the Wiim Pro Plus and it sounds great playing a music CD. You select the input on the Wiim Home app.

Last edited:
Reactions: MKR
Top Bottom