• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 80.1%

• Total voters

Tangband

Major Contributor
The digital electrical spdif output from the WiiM pro and WiiM pro+ can be theroretically bettered with a better power supply than the stock supply . With the stock supply, the spdif output is slightly modulated by the mains. This goes away If using a battery power supply. Read onlyonemes measurements:

This is not an issue with dacs that have galvanic isolation with a transformer on spdif input or If one uses the toslink output of the WiiM pro+.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The digital electrical spdif output from the WiiM pro and WiiM pro+ can be theroretically bettered with a better power supply than the stock supply . With the stock supply, the spdif output is slightly modulated by the mains. This goes away If using a battery power supply. Read onlyonemes measurements:

This is not an issue with dacs that have galvanic isolation with a transformer on spdif input or If one uses the toslink output of the WiiM pro+.
Do you have a theory as to how that (around 4mv) noise on a digital output can make it's way through the audio signal of any decently designed DAC? Regardless of galvanic isolation?

In your theory, why would that noise at 4mV manage to get onto the audio signal when the much larger digital signal which is at least 100x larger - does not?

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Do you have a theory as to how that (around 4mv) noise on a digital output can make it's way through the audio signal of any decently designed DAC? Regardless of galvanic isolation?

In your theory, why would that noise at 4mV manage to get onto the audio signal when the much larger digital signal which is at least 100x larger - does not?
I wrote ”theoretically bettered”.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wrote ”theoretically bettered”.
You also wrote "This is not an issue with dacs that have galvanic isolation with a transformer on spdif input or If one uses the toslink output"

Which could reasonably be shortened to: "This is not an issue."

:p

Tnmallen

I am new to streaming music. After reading the review and the comments I don't understand what a Roon or a Chromecast does that the Wiim pro plus doesn't already do. Could someone explain what each ones purpose is? Thanks

hopkins

I reported that the WiiM Pro was bit-perfect with Squeezelite and DNLA. Well today I got an update message on the app saying something was improved with the SPDIF input... I ran a bit perfect test again, and it is no longer bit-perfect at 44, 48 and 88khz! It is still bit-perfect at 96khz...

Thread 'WiiM Pro no longer bit perfect' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-pro-no-longer-bit-perfect.2170/

Edit: issue figured out! Playback is bit-perfect unless the play queue contains multiple sample rates. Weird, but not an issue, for me at least.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Playback is bit-perfect unless the play queue contains multiple sample rates.
That sort of makes sense. I think they were having issues of clicks with sample rate changes. It sounds like their fix is to resample to a fixed sample rate when there are multiple queued sample rates.

hopkins

What is odd is that another user with an RME DAC did not report the same issue in this configuration....

Tangband

Major Contributor
What is odd is that another user with an RME DAC did not report the same issue in this configuration....
We need more evidence about this from third part I think….
I hope that WiiM understands that their key to success is all about the lack of resampling or sample rate conversion - being bit correct.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
The content seems to be slightly truncated with some samples missing at the beginning and at the end, when sample rate changes. That's all.

Tangband

Major Contributor
The content seems to be slightly truncated with some samples missing at the beginning and at the end, when sample rate changes. That's all.
So….. If I listen to a whole record 16 bit 44.1 kHz from a NAS it will all be bit correct ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
their key to success is all about the lack of resampling or sample rate conversion - being bit correct.
I really doubt that.

Most of their market won't be aware of what bit perfect is.

For the part that do - the majority (I hope) realise it makes zero audible difference.

hopkins

For the part that do - the majority (I hope) realise it makes zero audible difference.

I rather use a bit-perfect player than one that is not. When a player is not bit-perfect, you cannot know, by definition, how much it deviates and what processing is going on.

MKR

Major Contributor
I rather use a bit-perfect player than one that is not. When a player is not bit-perfect, you cannot know, by definition, how much it deviates and what processing is going on.
WiiM is bit perfect, prove me wrong

MKR

Major Contributor
That is what a bit-perfect test does...
I well realize this, but the data odd, not convinced there is something else happening here. Regardless, good you submitted a ticket, I am sure WiiM will correct quickly if really an issue. Thanks for the effort to check this!

Labjr

Major Contributor
I don't want any resampling or transcoding from DSD to PCM. Let the user decide if it's inaudible by having the option to turn it on or off. That's how JRMC works.

Top Bottom