• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro+ as a streaming bridge: with external DAC and better external power (iFi iPower2 - Pura Dodo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A review with listening conclusion that the WiiM pro+ has a Spdif output of equal quality as the much more expensive Eversolo dmp a6.
This is a very different conclusion than Alpha audio made. Who can we trust ? Vintageflanker measurements show very good digital behavior for the WiiM pro +.

Which of them provided actual data to back up what they say? Which ones were just waffling about "how it sounded"

Trust the ones with data.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The important thing is the difference in sound despite the YouTube compression -> live it will be greater and you will be able to appreciate other things such as 3D sound and so on.
Well, the comparisons you linked here:

Aren't properly level-matched. They differ between 0.6 and 1 dB. That is not good enough! And your imagination will do the rest..

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For some, imagination would have been there anyway, even with proper level match..

Or a small movement of the mic, or movement of anything else in the room (including the youtuber) or any other of the possible variables when recording via a mic.

My2Cents

The WiiM pro + is pretty good and a steal at $230. However, I'm getting better sound from my Macs USB out to my CXA81's USB in (using Tidal Hi Fi in 'exclusive' mode).

If you want to improve your stereo's sound, cup your earlobes forward with your thumb (on the lobule), and your index and middle fingers pulling the pinna forward (to make little 'elephant' ears).
It's an instant upgrade. Also, see a medical professional and have your ears syringed once or twice a year.
The room is about 80% of the sound that we are hearing anyway, so get it treated (but not by a medical professional)
And, of course, we all suffer from age related frequency loss. I'm down to about 15,000 Hz and have mild tinnitus from playing in bands and listening to music on headphones too loud as a kid in the 70's.

Tangband

Major Contributor
The WiiM pro + is pretty good and a steal at $230. However, I'm getting better sound from my Macs USB out to my CXA81's USB in (using Tidal Hi Fi in 'exclusive' mode).

If you want to improve your stereo's sound, cup your earlobes forward with your thumb (on the lobule), and your index and middle fingers pulling the pinna forward (to make little 'elephant' ears).
It's an instant upgrade. Also, see a medical professional and have your ears syringed once or twice a year.
The room is about 80% of the sound that we are hearing anyway, so get it treated (but not by a medical professional)
And, of course, we all suffer from age related frequency loss. I'm down to about 15,000 Hz and have mild tinnitus from playing in bands and listening to music on headphones too loud as a kid in the 70's.
My WiiM pro sounds exactly the same as bridge as my Mac M1 with TIDAL

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the Wiim pro+ dac is audibly transparent - it is almost certain that the difference you percieve is not in the soundwaves reaching your ears, but a result of cognitive bias / placebo effect. (Or if you are not using the same source material (eg - tidal on Mac, something else on Wiim - or different masters coming from one source, then it could be mastering differences)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Since the Wiim pro+ dac is audibly transparent - it is almost certain that the difference you percieve is not in the soundwaves reaching your ears, but a result of cognitive bias / placebo effect. (Or if you are not using the same source material (eg - tidal on Mac, something else on Wiim - or different masters coming from one source, then it could be mastering differences)
..or maybe the cxa81 does A/D conversion at the analog inputs, making the WiiM sound worse ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom