• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Mini not discovered by Alexa

coppo23

Just bought a Wiim Mini to use with external DAC mainly to play hi res Amazon Prime or Amazon Music Unlimited on the main hifi.
I haven't registered for music unlimited yet - wanted to try the basic system hardware out first.

I have a four Alexa system that works fine for smarthome and music playback on the Alexas - albeit with with super lofi sound quality.
The wifi is solid - can get 80-100Mbs just about everywhere.

I have been trying for hours now to get Alexa to see the Wiim as a speaker. Both the Wiim and the alexas are on the same wifi and the same amazon account.
The Wiim and the alexas will play music from Amazon but I cannot voice control the Wiim as Alexa isn't aware of it. I can't add it to any group - it just isn't there. If I control the wiim from its app it will happily play amazon prime music.

I am getting pretty near to returning the Wiim as unsuitable for purpose. Can anyone suggest something I may have missed?

AudiOhm

I had similar issues with My Echo Dot (Alexa) pairing with various devices.

What I found was some devices need to have a full battery charge, others need to be plunged into their charger.

The Echo Dot uses Bluetooth to connect to speakers etc. not WiFi.

Make sure your Echo Dot and the device are fairly close to each other and your phone, Bluetooth has distance limitations.

What Generation is your Echo Dot?

Hope you can solve your issues...

Ohms

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Just bought a Wiim Mini to use with external DAC mainly to play hi res Amazon Prime or Amazon Music Unlimited on the main hifi.
I haven't registered for music unlimited yet - wanted to try the basic system hardware out first.

I have a four Alexa system that works fine for smarthome and music playback on the Alexas - albeit with with super lofi sound quality.
The wifi is solid - can get 80-100Mbs just about everywhere.

I have been trying for hours now to get Alexa to see the Wiim as a speaker. Both the Wiim and the alexas are on the same wifi and the same amazon account.
The Wiim and the alexas will play music from Amazon but I cannot voice control the Wiim as Alexa isn't aware of it. I can't add it to any group - it just isn't there. If I control the wiim from its app it will happily play amazon prime music.

I am getting pretty near to returning the Wiim as unsuitable for purpose. Can anyone suggest something I may have missed?
Make sure you are logged into not just Amazon on the WiiM, but also into Alexa on the WiiM. BTW, they have a support forum, and you can submit tickets right inside their app.

OP
C

coppo23

Yesterday I got it all working fine but don't know what I did to achieve that. After leaving it for an hour or two I came back and the wiim device was available in Alexa. I hadn't done anything except leave it alone for a while. Played around with it and decided it was a goer. The sound quality I get from the Wiim optically into a Logitech transporter DAC is superb. I can easily control and ask for music from any alexa - all good.

Today I have moved the kit from my desk and installed it in the lounge where it will live. Made the mistake of renaming the Wiim and have gone around the same loop again. I have now just restored the thing to factory defaults. I can play music using the absolutely pants Wiim app but the wiim doesn't show up in the amazon music app or in amazon devices. AaaggH! I am a retired IT tech and engineer and it is beyond me!

Another differnec is that the Wiim is on 5ghz wifi and alexas will be all on 2.4ghz but all the wifi is the same subnet. Can't see that having any bearing. on the problem.

Any suggestions as to what to try? (I have tried standing on one leg and twirling round 3 times - that didn't work but I wonder if it should have been only 2.5 times?)

OP
C

coppo23

SOLVED I think. I went into the Wiim settings, Browse, manage music services and turned off both Amazon music and Amazon Alexa. Closed the app. Ran the app again and added both services back in. It then needed me to login to both using my Amazon account. (In the past the Alexa service had not asked me to login). Went into multi room music and was able to see the Wiim - not by my name but its default name Mr's Wiim. I think the Alexa account login information or device name had been corrupted/changed as the visible difference was being asked to allow the Wiim to access the Alexa account.

BioMedTechGuy

Yesterday I got it all working fine but don't know what I did to achieve that. After leaving it for an hour or two I came back and the wiim device was available in Alexa. I hadn't done anything except leave it alone for a while.
Lol..I have had that happen in my life, different circumstances, enough that I'm convinced there are forces at work beyond my understanding that are responsible.
I stopped trying to figure that out and focused my efforts on being grateful.
:)

Top Bottom