• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Is Tesla Selling Insurance

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Hello to Tesla's financial engineering division.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of insurance companies have silly high premiums for Teslas. A few (we use Ameriprise) are reasonable.

Timbo2

The question is if you believe that Tesla offers "actuarially credible" loss experience data. If it does you technically should be able to better price the policies. Personally, I don't think Tesla's vehicle telemetry offers enough of an edge compared to the other proprietary data that the national carriers have across the US

There program itself is managed by a third party in the US and I don’t recall them putting significant capital into it. White label programs like this aren’t that uncommon.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I seriously don't understand TSLA. I mean from a market perspective. Second highest market cap (to Toyota). Bigger than VAG, GM, Ford. But they don't make many cars. Compared just to Ford pick up trucks, Tesla is a sales blip.

It makes me think that insanity is now the new normal. Ever since Piëch got sick and left (in spite of my engineering admiration for him. there is no doubt how his management style led to VWs later problems) VAG management imploded. People went to jail. Mary at GM would already be fired if she wasn't a Mary. And don't even get me going on Jim Hackett. But management-wise, Elon makes each of them look like Jack Ma clones. And in spite of all Musk's goofiness, his company stock just keeps going higher and higher.

Two years ago I predicted Tesla would be toast. But I was wrong. I admit that. Don't ask me for investment advice, for sure. How long can it go? Beats the hell out of me. My lack of insight into the market's valuation of this company's future sales highlights my profound out-to-lunchness, I guess.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wow...

1580828283101.png

You've got me giggling now.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
https://electrek.co/2020/01/22/tesla-tsla-market-100-billion-musk-compensation-plan/

"While Musk doesn’t accept a salary from Tesla, shareholders granted him a very generous and ambitious stock compensation plan in 2018:

The plan is linked to a significant increase in revenue, adjusted EBITDA, and a massive increase in company valuation.

Each $50 billion increase in Tesla’s market capitalization would result in Musk receiving 1.69 million shares, which is currently worth almost $1 billion at today’s price.

If Tesla reaches all the milestones and a market cap of $650 billion, he would own about 30% of the company at that point, which would be a stake worth about $195 billion — making him the richest man on the planet."

--- sigh ---

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i dont know a thing about stocks but if we run out of oil in 50 years wont electric cars take over the market? seems like elon musk is ahead of the curve

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
i dont know a thing about stocks

It's one of the prime concepts of dreaded Capitalism.

Where, theoretically, the people who choose to can own the means of production (instead of the government).

For example, I "own" part of Tampa Electric and the distribution of earnings to shareholders (dividends) pays the electric bill, and the increase in the market value of my tiny share of the company could pay the bill for the next 15 years or so. Meanwhile, they are building solar farms so I don't have to to feel all green inside.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of insurance companies have silly high premiums for Teslas. A few (we use Ameriprise) are reasonable.
Teslas are expensive to fix.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you think of the stock market as a sort of gambling house a bit like a horse race where you can change horse whenever you want it makes more sense than if you assume it is rational and business related.
Because that is more or less the truth of it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I see Elon Musk as today's version of Preston Tucker.
... but that's just me. :rolleyes:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
i dont know a thing about stocks but if we run out of oil in 50 years wont electric cars take over the market? seems like elon musk is ahead of the curve

The Smithsonian Annual Report of 1923 stated that all fossil fuels will be depleted in 50 yr., you can look it up.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With their stock rising so much, why have they still not replaced my broken powerwall???
12/3 I email because the clocks ran mucho fast when power went out.
12/5 I get a response that one powerwall isn't reporting and I need to reboot it. Why they couldn't tell me this earlier I do not know.
12/7 I get an automated response after I say that I rebooted it.
12/10 I get a response that it's being pushed up the tech support chain and another that they've fixed the clock speed issue by lowering the frequency. Still one dead powerwall.
12/22 I email asking WTF is going on.
12/23 I get a reply that I need to call a number to get them to come out. I call and schedule.
early january - can't fine the date - a tech comes out and spends hours trouble shooting then says the wall needs to be replaced
1/22 I email and ask WTF. Told it's 4-6 weeks to get a replacement. Well, it's been almost 4 weeks and I haven't even been scheduled, so I' guessing 4-6 weeks until I contact them and complain and then they schedule me another 2-4 weeks out.

Sooooo... it's been 2 months and my wall still isn't working. When I see Tesla stock going up, I look at our Jaguar I-Pace and smile.

Willem

Major Contributor
The crucial change that we will experience is probably not the electrical or hydrogen drive, but the self drving aspect of new automotive technology. With that, for many people there will no longer be any point in owning a private car. You just call for one with an app. I am hoping that my current car will be my last.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Smithsonian Annual Report of 1923 stated that all fossil fuels will be depleted in 50 yr., you can look it up.
Ah yes, The Smithsonian Annual Report, that paragon of scientific prognostication that I had never even heard of until you just posted about it.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The crucial change that we will experience is probably not the electrical or hydrogen drive, but the self drving aspect of new automotive technology. With that, for many people there will no longer be any point in owning a private car. You just call for one with an app. I am hoping that my current car will be my last.
Actual self driving is very far away. Think of how awful speech recognition still is, and that is a much easier problem to solve.

Top Bottom