• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tradesman & why you may need one vs. "licensed & Insured contractor:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ben Flaig

Profile photo

James Island Folly19 Jan

When choosing a contractor.. “Licensed & Insured” is what is often posted, but don’t be confused.
There’s a big difference between a licensed professional tradesman licensed in Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC, Carpentry etc compared to any old person who acquires a business license.
A Tradesman is tested by the state after years of training and experience to make sure they are qualified and highly skilled to do the trade they specify in.
Then they become licensed and recognized by the state to be competent and able to do the job correctly , pull permits, hire employees and are held accountable for their work provided.
A business license is as simple as paying some money to have a piece of paper saying they can do business in that designated area.
I’ve had so many customers who get trapped into this false “licensed & Insured” statement and usually get the bad end of the stick when things go south.
So beware of who you hire.
Do some due diligence into your investments.
Be smart with your home and work and contractors hired.
Hopefully this can help someone avoid a headache and some money with your next project!

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not sure I've heard of people getting confised between a business license and contractors license, but I guess it's possible. The are references to 'the state' -- would be useful to know what that is, specifically. If its in the US, laws vary state to state.

OP
E

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure I've heard of people getting confised between a business license and contractors license, but I guess it's possible. The are references to 'the state' -- would be useful to know what that is, specifically. If its in the US, laws vary state to state.
Specific to South Carolina, I guess.

But the general just of it is to let people know that they should check into it, as there is possibly more to it than meets the eye.

There are lots of folks that get scammed by people who advertise "Licensed & Insured" because they look no further into the details.

Top Bottom