• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Axxcess Forte 1 with 'Tesla Coils' - legit or snakeoil?

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you are looking at the wrong picture.
If you look at their boards, including the so-called 'active square Tesla coils', one end only of each inductor is connected to active. The bifilar coils only have one lead soldered. The PC board traces are hilarious:
View attachment 351346
The traces are so poorly rendered, with so few turns and such poor line spacing this that any inductive effect is negligible. Plus, this is not a useful circuit instance even if these were interesting coils.

This is from OP's original link, and represented in the company's marketing materials all over.

It's really hard to make this up, but they did.
That's hilarious

Reactions: MAB

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well since we are not talking about snakes, but about oil from same, then I'm gonna suggest none of look/walk/quack should be taken totally literally. :p

Oh and I miswrote - it should have been waddle, not walk. Cos we all know how good oil is at waddling ;)
As we used to say in the lab:
If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be research!

:cool:

Yeah, I guess there's a reason I never quite made it to VP of R&D....

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I can think of one legitimate use for a bifilar "Tesla" coil. It can form a self resonant RF filter if wired inductively. From the Wikipedia article:

This could be used instead of a conventional LC filter on power supplies, inputs, or outputs to suppress power supply noise and electromagnetic interference (EMI). Whether these coils are configured and used in such a manner in this product, I don't know. But if you have use for EMI suppression, it's cool if you can call it a "Tesla coil".
I may be misunderstanding. 2 coils wound oppositely decrease the inductance as in coil wound resistors and increase the capacitance so they do form a resonant circuit but a waste of wire. I thought Tesla did this because caps of his era where large and expensive (and probably had lots of parasitic resistance). As stated all this is null if only connected at one end.
There Chinese finger traps.
Thats how they trap EMI

Last edited:

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I may be misunderstanding. 2 coils wound oppositely decrease the inductance as in coil wound resistors and increase the capacitance so they do form a resonant circuit but a waste of wire.
The Tesla version wired the two windings in parallel in the same direction to increase both inductance and capacitance.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
2 coils wound oppositely decrease the inductance as in coil wound resistors and increase the capacitance so they do form a resonant circuit but a waste of wire.
Now, there's a phrase that one doesn't often encounter in the textbooks.
;)

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
The Tesla version wired the two windings in parallel in the same direction to increase both inductance and capacitance.
Yes, If you run the current in the same direction its the amount of current that matters for the inductance so 1 wire with twice the current is the same thing, but you get "free" capacitance with the parallel wires. If you put 2 wires next to each other and run current in the opposite direction in one of them (which is what these look like) the magnetic fields created (right hand rule) are opposite and cancel out. No magnetic field, no inductance. In reality there's always some space between the wires so some inductance but a lot less than one wire. Today, we just put a capacitor in parallel with the inductor and save the wire.

Glint

Possibly for some kind of insurance reason, their boutique components do literally nothing lol

Top Bottom