• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Axxcess Forte 1 with 'Tesla Coils' - legit or snakeoil?

Capitulo

Not grainy at all, and quite clear:
TeslaDither.png

Clearly bifilar, clearly only one end is wired. Seems odd right? Just like square wheels seem odd.
Sorry about my word choice, it may seem like it leaves room for uncertainty, but not really.
Solder joints seem good though...

Youve gone from “it seems” to being certain from a partial picture, while referencing a photo from a 3rd party store site thats not even on the manufacturer’s website? The photo cant even be found on the manufacturers website, which Ive shared. Ooof.

I’m always interested about new digital amps. Looking past the marketing jargon, the “Tesla” coils “seem” to be counter-wound double inverted coil inductors which is referenced in some journals to have been used in noise reduction. Theres not enough info here to assess if its BS or not. If it were a new application for some niche noise reduction technique used elsewhere, I dont know if it works, but Im sure Im not going to find out if it has merit from the curmudgeons on here.

Last edited:

Capitulo

Also, while you deleted your previous post, it did challenge what many people with basic circuit experience consider obvious.

Perhaps you know all about this device, and understand inductors, noise reduction, etc. Maybe you can illuminate us on what those bifilar-inductors cum antennae are actually doing, complete with the circuit and operational characteristics. Would be good to get a full noise reduction in electronics passdown from you. In the mean time, if I see a high resolution image with a resistor, capacitor, or inductor with only one end wired, I will continue to call it out. Same for cars with square wheels, I will point out they they will run rough, and if I use the word 'seem' and you can't get it, then you should buy the car...

Also, why they are misusing the term Tesla Coil? It's actually already used for a much different device, often seen at science expos.

Edit: typo

Tesla has nothing to do with my EVs. Im not having a cow about it lol

MAB

Major Contributor
Youve gone from “it seems” to being certain from a partial picture, while reference a photo from a store site thats not even on the manufacturer’s website? Ooof.

I’m always interested about new digital amps. Looking past the marketing jargon, the “Tesla” coils “seem” to be counter-wound double inverted coil inductors which is referenced in some journals to have been used on noise reduction. Theres not enough info here to assess if its BS or not. If it were a new application for some niche noise reduction technique used elsewhere, Im not going to find out if it has merit on here.
No it's quite clear. In every photo.
You so funny with your word-litigation. You seem quite ingenuine.

And since you are litigating words, I said Tesla Coil. It's a thing. And confusing a bifilar inductor with a Tesla Coil seems ignorant to me.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Looking past the marketing jargon, the “Tesla” coils “seem” to be counter-wound double inverted coil inductors which is referenced in some journals to have been used in noise reduction.
Not the way shown in the photos or described in the dreary ad copy.

And of course, this is pretty much a non-existent problem so thank god there's someone out there ready and willing to tackle the imaginary. The fact that they make money from FUD is of no relevance to the power of this great breakthrough.

Im sure Im not going to find out if it has merit from the curmudgeons on here.
I'm sure you won't. But worry not, there's plenty of other sites where amazing imaginary discoveries are explained in great detail.

Capitulo

No it's quite clear. In every photo.
You so funny with your word-litigation. You seem quite ingenuine.

And since you are litigating words, I said Tesla Coil. It's a thing. And confusing a bifilar inductor with a Tesla Coil seems ignorant to me.
I wont debate your naiveté. My brain doesnt crash on a little marketing speak.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Youve gone from “it seems” to being certain from a partial picture, while referencing a photo from a 3rd party store site thats not even on the manufacturer’s website? The photo cant even be found on the manufacturers website, which Ive shared. Ooof.

I’m always interested about new digital amps. Looking past the marketing jargon, the “Tesla” coils “seem” to be counter-wound double inverted coil inductors which is referenced in some journals to have been used in noise reduction. Theres not enough info here to assess if its BS or not. If it were a new application for some niche noise reduction technique used elsewhere, I dont know if it works, but Im sure Im not going to find out if it has merit from the curmudgeons on here.
The curmudgeons here aren’t asking for your money for a product that solves a problem that doesn’t exist. The people selling the product are making non-sensical and contradictory claims (it reduces noise and adds noise) while referring to a totally different technology to try and fool people into spending money they don’t need to.

When I bring in experts to give me estimates, I will take the person who can clearly explain the problem, the solution, and guarantee the work. I’m not giving money to plumber who claims to be able to make water flow uphill through the use of a magic pipe. At a bare minimum, I’m going to give more weight to the people who gain nothing from the advice they give.

But you do you.

Edit to Add: Seriously? Sleeper account for 2 years that pops into business when this particular product pops up? Did you purchase it? Or is someone paying you to do this? I mean, I have no reason to believe any answer you give, but I would love an answer since I see this phenomena and so many sites, as if there is a troll army for hire or something…

OP
alpha_logic

alpha_logic

Ok, so I looked it up, and Tesla actually invented the Bifilar Coil in 1894 under US Patent 512,340 for an "Electrical Coil". So I guess it is a 'Tesla Coil' but not the Tesla Coil for which he is famous for. Still, I find the claims made by the amp manufacturer dubious, and somewhat misleading.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, so I looked it up, and Tesla actually invented the Bifilar Coil in 1894 under US Patent 512,340 for an "Electrical Coil". So I guess it is a 'Tesla Coil' but not the Tesla Coil for which he is famous for. Still, I find the claims made by the amp manufacturer dubious, and somewhat misleading.

Looking at the diagram/description, it’s not the same thing:
IMG_0346.jpeg

MAB

Major Contributor

No it's not. I already pointed out the differences in post #8.
Nikola Tesla invented many things, he was one of the greatest inventors of all time.
A bifilar wound coil and a Tesla Coil are different. Please don't confuse them.

MAB

Major Contributor
I wont debate your naiveté. My brain doesnt crash on a little marketing speak.
How come you keep deleting complete posts?
I saw your post where you used ChatGPT or some 'research software' at your work to find out all about bifilar inductors, and try to prove that they are useful for noise reduction. (I guess your use of the word research and the fact that the software was at your work adds and air of legitimacy to your quest.) Please repost it! You deleted the post before I (or anybody else) could respond. And believe me, I was going to respond!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
if steve huffington says its good then its nonsense

something rotten in the state of denmark

Greenman

Whilst I agree this looks somewhat snake oil, the real issue is they dont show any measurements to indicate the effects of these coils. if I’m reading right it looks like they are implying these reduce/cancel RF interference in which case they may not need to be connected at both ends the idea being to ground out interference by means of various implementations of these coils which I guess act as aerials for the RF (just speculating here).

and the Forte 1 is just the entry level. Look at the forte 2 and 3 for the full coil implementation ($11,000)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
And of course, this is pretty much a non-existent problem so thank god there's someone out there ready and willing to tackle the imaginary. The fact that they make money from FUD is of no relevance to the power of this great breakthrough.
To quote Mssrs. Hunter, Garcia, et al. from relatively early in their careers:
I just wonder if you shouldn't feel
Less concerned about the deep unreal
The very first word is "How do you do?"
The last "Go home your mama's calling you"
These jaspers are concerned about the deep unreal.
:cool:

Top Bottom