• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
OK, analogue purists (if there are still any of you around) ;)

Just refurbed my study and turned it into a cinema / music room. As a result there is nowhere near my amp to put the turntable. So I've just hooked up the preamp output to a blutetooth transmitter. That is transmitting to a MiniDSP flex where the muisic is digitally processed to make it sound even better, before being converted back to analogue and sent to the amp. It sounds fine.

I genuinely hope your heads have not exploded. :p

I'm anything but an analog purist, but I have some serious doubts about the bluetooth connection.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm anything but an analog purist, but I have some serious doubts about the bluetooth connection.
It's aptX HD (around 500Kb/s). SInce I was unable to tell between 256Kb/s MP3 and redbook in a blind test, I'm not too worried about the bluetooth.

I'm far more worried about the performcance of the ADC in a £25 bit of kit. However I'm not noticing audible issues at the moment.

I might have a go at measuring it when the seasonal mayhem has died down a little.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't comment, but I have my doubts.
You can do a blind test of the various BT codecs here if you like (Just the first one I found on a quick search):

EDIT:
This is an interesting set of measurements of BT also

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea but I don't see any tests for a 20dB overload caused by a loud pop :)
That is true. I have, however just played some of my oldest vinyl. I'm not noticing a worsening (or improving) of clicks/pops.

levimax

Major Contributor
That is true. I have, however just played some of my oldest vinyl. I'm not noticing a worsening (or improving) of clicks/pops.
I sometimes use aptx HD from a system with a TT to a remote system and it seems to work fine despite my doubts.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
You can do a blind test of the various BT codecs here if you like (Just the first one I found on a quick search):

EDIT:
This is an interesting set of measurements of BT also

Indeed, you will find that I do, in fact, have quite some idea of what's inside the APTX codec.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed, you will find that I do, in fact, have quite some idea of what's inside the APTX codec.
Ah - then I will shut up and stop tying to teach granny to suck eggs. :)

I'll just say that - for me - it is working better than I was expecting.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, analogue purists (if there are still any of you around) ;)

Just refurbed my study and turned it into a cinema / music room. As a result there is nowhere near my amp to put the turntable. So I've just hooked up the preamp output to a blutetooth transmitter. That is transmitting to a MiniDSP flex where the muisic is digitally processed to make it sound even better, before being converted back to analogue and sent to the amp. It sounds fine.

I genuinely hope your heads have not exploded. :p

That’s fine.

But.

We can’t be friends anymore.

pma

Major Contributor
Vinyls may sound pretty good, especially those with half speed mastering and not much dynamic compression.

822A86FC-4D89-4ABE-9708-AB5B32CF807E.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Vinyls may sound pretty good, especially those with half speed mastering and not much dynamic compression.

Are them squiggly lines from all the clicks and pops ????? LOL

rice krispies.jpeg

pma

Major Contributor
Are them squiggly lines from all the clicks and pops ????? LOL
Oversimplified superstition, you know :). Do you want for me to upload a rip?

This is one (the highest) of the "squiggly lines" in higher time resolution. I understand that most here are accustomed to cut peaks compressed to the same max. level ;)

1671973144213.png

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
Want me to counter your cherry pick of good vinyl with my cherry pick of bad vinyl? ;)

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 252288

That's nice but a waveform alone won't tell us if somethings sounds 'pretty good'. It could be a good recording of something that sounds pretty bad.

D

Deleted member 56560

I've been collecting records for 45 years. Digital sounds better.
Interesting, such a statement. Digital sounds better? I cannot imagine saying anything sounds better than a 1951 record of Haydn I own, Schneider Quartet, Haydyn Society record pressing. Very old, but has survived. I cannot think of anything worse than the 1980s digital remasters by Phillips of many artists, most painful being Alfred Brendel. I would not make any claims about analog against digital, I am a long way from being sure and this is the sort of stuff we see on Youtube. We need to be open to all views. I suspect analog tape straight to vinyl (more or less) is the most perfect. For long term beyond the 10 to 20 years of digital storage media (oh where are all my 1990s .wav files or 1990s digital photographs?), again analog tape is probably the only medium according to, for example, Bernie Grundman.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect analog tape straight to vinyl (more or less) is the most perfect. For long term beyond the 10 to 20 years of digital storage media (oh where are all my 1990s .wav files or 1990s digital photographs?), again analog tape is probably the only medium
There is no doubt in my mind that the quality of the recording one is playing often makes more difference than either the equipment being used to reproduce it or the format it is being delivered on.

I have been making amateur recordings since the early 1960s starting with a mono valve reel-to-reel recorder going to a Revox B77 as funds allowed then a StellaDAT digital tape deck then solid state digital recorders.

My experience is that considerable experience was required to set correct levels on all the analogue recorders I had. Getting the level set high enough so maximum level wasn’t too audibly distorted but quiet levels didn’t descend to far into the noise was difficult and not always achieved.

Setting levels on the StellaDAT was fairly easy by contrast since there is much more undistorted, noise free dynamic range. In fact my first use of the Stella was the first time I had heard the output of a recorder audibly indistinguishable from the microphone feed, it never was with any tape recorder I had used.
So I would say that IME digital recorders are definitely more accurate at reproduction than a reel-to-reel tape.

Having written that an even more important skill IME is microphone choice and, particularly, placement. Not much point in having accurate reproduction of a poorly placed microphone.

My guess is that all too often, particularly in these days of inexpensive multi-channel recorders and a plethora of mikes, the idea of post recording mix sorting out shortcomings has become popular despite being, probably, wrong.

I read an article in the paper a while ago of an experienced film sound engineer bemoaning the fact that younger directors insist on microphones being placed according to their visual requirements believing, wrongly, everything can be sorted at the sound mixing post production stage.
It was his explanation of why there is poor and in distinct diction in quite a few films these days.

So I am in no doubt from my experience that digital recorders are more accurate at reproduction than any analogue ones but fear the SQ shortcomings come from slapdash or inexperienced microphone layouts and too much dicking about trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear at the mastering and mixing stage.

charleski

Major Contributor
For long term beyond the 10 to 20 years of digital storage media ... again analog tape is probably the only medium
It depends very much on the specific tape stock used. Here's a survey of the different types of failure and the tape stocks that are prone to them from someone who deals in tape restoration:
He describes problems with some analog tapes that are less than 10 years old.

according to, for example, Bernie Grundman.
... :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom