• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who can help a newbie who inherited equipment

Westcoast

I have inherited some decent equipment and would like to set it up. I have no idea what I’m doing but am learning.
Equipment:
2- Hartsfield Lansing speakers ( 1-2305b, 1-2440,2-2405 jbl’s in each box)
2-C50 JBL 3-ways
3-8550 Sony Amps (new)
1-TA4300f Sony channel seperator
1- JC2 Preamp
1-LNC2 crossover
1- TA3200F Sony Amp
1-Teac A7300 r2r

Anyone that has any knowledge that is willing to give me some advice would be nice.
Equipment was all bought new and I don’t think it was ever used or if it was it wasn’t for long as it was all boxed up.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some pics of the binding posts on the Hartsfield and JBL speakers please to help determine which gear might have gone to which speakers. The Levinson XO, from my brief googling, looks to be an analog 2 way crossover made with a custom set frequency during manufacturing with a 18dB roll off. The Sony TA4300f looks a lot more interesting able to do a 3way XO. Seems you have plenty of amps to drive everything with.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR as it looks like your first post.

An answer would be rather involved. But people here will help. I'm posting from a phone so just a short welcome.

OP
W

Westcoast

IMG_0589.jpeg
I think this is how it should connect but not sure where the mark levinson JC2 and LNC2 crossover would go

AlfaNovember

Wow, that's quite a legacy; Hartsfields were Statement Pieces in their day. Do you have a big room to enjoy them in?

The diagram looks promising. I don't know about the Levinson gear in this case, but most of the Levinson equipment used non-standard connectors ("camac" aka "lemo" aka "fischer" aka "those weird little things") and so it may not easily integrate into the system. They were likely entirely unrelated, or taken in trade, or bought in anticipation of buying the ML amps.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at your planning diagram, I assume my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier audio project/setup would be somewhat (more or less) of your reference and interest; you can find my latest system setup here on my project thread.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very helpful picture. As I suspected, 2 different systems though not sure how the Levinson was used with the C50s.

On the back of the Hartsfields their should be 3 separate L/R binding posts for T/M/W. You hook the each of the 3 8550 Sony Amps speaker outputs to T/M/W on both speakers L./R.

The inputs to the 3 amps will come from the T/M/W outputs of the Sony TA4300f. The paper shows where to set the crossover frequencies - a 7000kHz LP for tweeter, 800-7000kHz for the midwoofer and a 800Hz HP filter for the woofers which you somehow program into the TA300f.

The input to the Sony TA4300f is the JC2 Preamp which, as shown on the diagram hosts all the other analog sources. The JC2 could be replaced with any preamp or something modern like a DAC with volume control or DAC/streamer depending on your needs. Not sure I'd bother with the r2r at all unless you have a lot of money and time.

The TA4300f has some pretty poor specs compared to what can be done with a multichannel DAC and a computer or similar to do the XO work + EQ and room correction. If the Hartsfield Lansing speakers are truly awesome to behold and listen to it might be worth considering as @dualazmak shows above. There are many ways to get there depending on your comfort level, OS preference and skills.

Top Bottom