• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DIY speakers would you like to see reviewed?

Vote for your favorite DIY speaker to be tested

• Bagby Adelphos/Kairos

Votes: 38 15.7%
  • Bagby Helix Dome MT

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Bagby SB Revolution Mini

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Campbell-Holtz Micro Statements

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • Carmody Overnight Sensations

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Carmody Speedster

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Dayton Audio C-Notes

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • Heissmann DXT-mon

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Linkwitz LXmini

Votes: 119 49.2%
  • Seas Loki

Votes: 42 17.4%

• Total voters

DeruDog

Forum Donor

jsm

As a possessor, and very curious of some measurements on these speakers, I (highly) suggest the Sunflower Redux, also by Paul Carmody. Open baffle on middle/high bandwith, dayton speaker/Xover and a solid reputation in the ~500$ DIY project. But yeah I'm also so curious of the linkwitz Lxmini :p

Peas

The initial DXT monitor came up with a 5" midwoofer in both a BR and PR enclosure.

Then, a version with a 6,5" woofer has been added and also a floorstander made it there.

Unfortunately, there is no center yet.

mk05

Forum Donor
Was looking at some youtube videos on building subwoofers and came across this driver maker called Tang Band.

They actually make some interesting looking co-axial drivers. Wonder if anyone has tried building them into full speakers ?
I have seen several, namely TL types. Wonder how they sound in reality, done well. Question for you guys: does one full range driver sound better or worse than a multi-driver design that is crossovered well in FR to "produce less stress on each driver" or "focus on specific ranges"?

The initial DXT monitor came up with a 5" midwoofer in both a BR and PR enclosure.

Then, a version with a 6,5" woofer has been added and also a floorstander made it there.

Unfortunately, there is no center yet.
Do ASR members have any opinions on the DXT-Mon series? Which are strengths and weaknesses? Would love to hear about what it's like to live with them, comparisons to other model of DXT-MON, etc.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I started out in this hobby with DIY and full range drivers. They have a certain magic. Imaging is usually really good because they beam. The larger the driver the more severe this is. A 20cm fullrange basically means you cannot move your head one inch or you will be out of the sweet spot. The smaller drivers can sound really nice, but they can't go loud at all. The simplest solution to this problem is to add a subwoofer (sometimes called FAST - Fullrange And Sub Technology).

They're fun to play with, but any competent multi-way design is probably the better compromise.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Question for you guys: does one full range driver sound better or worse than a multi-driver design that is crossovered well in FR to "produce less stress on each driver" or "focus on specific ranges"?
There's a whole other thread about this if you want to go into detail. I pretty much agree with @digitalfrost, but if your musical tastes and listening situation match the limitations of the drivers they can be very nice. NXT and BMR are interesting for wide (but not full) range without beaming, as are segmented electrostatics, but most people will want to add something for the bass.

nm4711

I started out in this hobby with DIY and full range drivers. They have a certain magic. Imaging is usually really good because they beam. The larger the driver the more severe this is. A 20cm fullrange basically means you cannot move your head one inch or you will be out of the sweet spot. The smaller drivers can sound really nice, but they can't go loud at all. The simplest solution to this problem is to add a subwoofer (sometimes called FAST - Fullrange And Sub Technology).

They're fun to play with, but any competent multi-way design is probably the better compromise.

I can second that. Started with two DIY designs with small fullrange drivers and also heard two 20 cm designs. The small ones are not very loud and don't have much bass. The big ones have problems with beaming and linearity, but I like listening to them nonetheless.

I went away from the fullrange driver designs more or less and built a 2-way + sub design. For me it definitly is the better compromise.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a possessor, and very curious of some measurements on these speakers, I (highly) suggest the Sunflower Redux, also by Paul Carmody. Open baffle on middle/high bandwith, dayton speaker/Xover and a solid reputation in the ~500$ DIY project. But yeah I'm also so curious of the linkwitz Lxmini :p

Unless you or someone with Sunflowers lives close to Amir, not likely to get tested. Even one would be pricey to ship. :eek:

Last edited:

jsm

not me (France) :D, but maybe there is a chance is the US because the most Sunflower users seems living there. Shipment... almost 35kg each XD

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I didn't want to imply anyone should buy all the parts and go through the process of making it just for the sake of measuring it. It's just too expensive for that, as you say. I just thought that someone who already has them would be positively intrigued by reading this and maybe could deliver it to Amir so they can be measured :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No Ikea Eneby yet?

eneby-bluetooth-speaker__0620934_PE689800_S5.JPG

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Using these drivers there is a lot of potential here, but it's a shame they don't use any form of waveguide. I predict a hump in the DI will be present this way.

I'm in the middle of designing a speaker with the same drivers (aluminium version), but using a 6" waveguide, designed by Augerpro.

When it's done, I'll be sharing my results on the forum :)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom