• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DIY speakers would you like to see reviewed?

Vote for your favorite DIY speaker to be tested

• Bagby Adelphos/Kairos

Votes: 38 15.7%
  • Bagby Helix Dome MT

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Bagby SB Revolution Mini

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Campbell-Holtz Micro Statements

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • Carmody Overnight Sensations

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Carmody Speedster

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Dayton Audio C-Notes

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • Heissmann DXT-mon

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Linkwitz LXmini

Votes: 119 49.2%
  • Seas Loki

Votes: 42 17.4%

• Total voters

Mocs123

Forum Donor

detlev24

Not sure if anybody else is interested; but I think it would be beneficial to add a few omnidirectional loudspeakers for (scientific) Spinorama comparison purposes. :)

Maybe something like the Visaton 'Fontana' or 'Fontanella Sat', in case of DIY.

[Visaton do have a distribution network in the USA - I found them both listed on 'Digi-Key Electronics'.]

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking over the poll and wanting something more upscale for the next DIY speaker, thinking the next build will be Babgy’s Adelphos. I see the Seas Loki got a lot of votes, but have heard it is a marginal design compared to the Adelphos (for comparable cash).

Before I order parts, just thought I would check if anyone preferred the Kairos instead or had counterproposal (for about $650/pair or less)?

Will consider feedback through April 26. Would like to order early next week.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Ericglo

It would be interesting to compare the Elac DBRs to their inwall counterparts. I see very little testing of inwall speakers.

BenB

Not sure if anybody else is interested; but I think it would be beneficial to add a few omnidirectional loudspeakers for (scientific) Spinorama comparison purposes. :)

Maybe something like the Visaton 'Fontana' or 'Fontanella Sat', in case of DIY.

[Visaton do have a distribution network in the USA - I found them both listed on 'Digi-Key Electronics'.]

Speaking of dispersion, I wonder if there would be any interest in my most recent DIY design that combines narrow vertical beamwidth (sufficiently narrow to significantly reduce floor and ceiling reflections) with wide horizontal dispersion. You can actually put them on their side to try it the other way around, which I've done and found very interesting for its effect on soundstage. The build is made easier if you utilize the denovo cabinet they were designed for, but they are a little on the large side, and kind of heavy. I call them skylark flying towers:

http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/speaker-projects/skylark-flying-towers/

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...owers-nested-array-speakers-in-denovo-cabinet

Denovo_WWMTMWW_Super_Small.png

Icboschert

Forum Donor
Looking over the poll and wanting something more upscale for the next DIY speaker, thinking the next build will be Babgy’s Adelphos. I see the Seas Loki got a lot of votes, but have heard it is a marginal design to the Adelphos (for comparable cash).

Before I order parts, just thought I would check if anyone preferred the Kairos instead or had counterproposal (for about $650/pair or less)?

Whatever is fastest to build between Kairos or Adelphos :)

Ericglo

I put my post in the wrong thread.

As for DIY speakers, I second the DIYSoundgroup speakers. They seem to be some of the most popular DIY speakers around these days.

Another might be Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic BMR

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I put my post in the wrong thread.

As for DIY speakers, I second the DIYSoundgroup speakers. They seem to be some of the most popular DIY speakers around these days.

Another might be Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic BMR

Agree but both have availability issues and the BMR is about twice the price of the Adelphos. :)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of dispersion, I wonder if there would be any interest in my most recent DIY design that combines narrow vertical beamwidth (sufficiently narrow to significantly reduce floor and ceiling reflections) with wide horizontal dispersion. You can actually put them on their side to try it the other way around, which I've done and found very interesting for its effect on soundstage. The build is made easier if you utilize the denovo cabinet they were designed for, but they are a little on the large side, and kind of heavy. I call them skylark flying towers:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...owers-nested-array-speakers-in-denovo-cabinet

View attachment 59826

Very interesting design! It looks a lot like late 1990s Snell designs, except with a long tweeter instead of the Audax dome in a waveguide..

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am personally very interested in Heißmann's speakers. Have you thought about those?

Yes, but @digitalfrost had contacted them so looked like they were going to get covered without my involvement.

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 59826

Thanks for sharing!

To keep the effort manageable, ASR is only testing commercially available kits that are half a cubic foot or less.

Looks as though you really put some effort into them. If you just want to get them Klippel tested, might check if @hardisj would consider though.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to see a full-range speaker measured, to see how disperson is and if it would be EQed.
Full-range = no crossover, it can sound good.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Okay then! Do you maybe have an update on this @digitalfrost ? :)
He said he already knew about audiosciencereview and thinks it's very interesting, but that it's not easy to ship his speakers to the US due to the bureaucracy involved. So we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same, that blog that showed as-good-as-Neumann performances sure generated some interest.
I think it is a interesting design too, but along the lines of their feedback, mainly see hurdles to get it tested here. Am open to any creative approach to get one here, but otherwise, it is wait and see...

On the positive side, they have extensive measurements posted. Would be hard to compare directly to the Neumann's without a listening test, but since it looks like it has comparable directivity and the bass should be way better, the DXT-Mon looks like a better bet IMO. Still like my electronics and speakers in separate boxes too, but could see creating an active version of the DXT-Mon to get advantages of active design. :cool:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
On the positive side, they have extensive measurements posted. Would be hard to compare directly to the Neumann's without a listening test, but since it looks like it has comparable directivity and the bass should be way better, the DXT-Mon looks like a better bet IMO. Still like my electronics and speakers in separate boxes too, but could see creating an active version of the DXT-Mon to get advantages of active design.
A DXT-Mon-Fusion to follow the DXT-Wave-Fusion perhaps?

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm interested to see Danny Murphy's designed X-LS Encore bookshelfs to be reviewed on ASR. The measurements looks great for a $250/pair kit. I just picked up a used pair for $170, I can't wait to listen to them soon!

Thomas H

Looking over the poll and wanting something more upscale for the next DIY speaker, thinking the next build will be Babgy’s Adelphos. I see the Seas Loki got a lot of votes, but have heard it is a marginal design compared to the Adelphos (for comparable cash).

Adelphos would be awesome. Got the schematics from Meniscus some time ago and started the built yesterday. Considered the Kairo initially, but did not like the necessary design at all.

Top Bottom