• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DIY speakers would you like to see reviewed?

Vote for your favorite DIY speaker to be tested

• Bagby Adelphos/Kairos

Votes: 38 15.7%
  • Bagby Helix Dome MT

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Bagby SB Revolution Mini

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Campbell-Holtz Micro Statements

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • Carmody Overnight Sensations

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Carmody Speedster

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Dayton Audio C-Notes

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • Heissmann DXT-mon

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Linkwitz LXmini

Votes: 119 49.2%
  • Seas Loki

Votes: 42 17.4%

• Total voters
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those look awfully big for the Spinorama.

Will only matter if we find some loaners anyway. His website says “Dr. Geddes has retired.”

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently, Amir has a couple of DIY loaners in his test queue, so we decided to hold off my Adelphos build plans for now.

Any future builds will funded individually via forum donations.

Thanks for your support and will look forward to the next build.

Take care and stay healthy!

Last edited:

xarkkon

good to hear that loaners are coming in! :) any teaser on what we can expect in the coming weeks? :D

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I anticipate Amir has some reasons to wait until arrangements on the loaners are confirmed. so will defer to him for now.

I will say they are not like any DIY speakers on the poll list ;)...

frankrcarter

I would like some of the DIYSoundGroup designs like the Elusive 1099. I'd like to see how something popular like that compares to retail designs.

Peas

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rumours say that there is already. Alexander provides filters for the miniDSP units. So with the drivers available, building the kit should be feasible.

https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/dxt-mon-activ-ddrc24-mini-dsp/

Thanks for sharing and welcome to ASR!

I want to see the DXT-Mon reviewed whether active or passive. Active speakers have some major advantages, but really depends on implementation and design targets. My active DXT-Mon comment was a DIY response to the Neumann KH80, but could apply to some larger DIY speakers that I think are a much better value than the KH 80 (at least for $1000/pair US). Btw, this is not a knock on Neumann's designs (some I like much better than the KH 80), but more about the price/performance.:cool:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Peas

Check the developer's report: http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/DIY/NADAbyKlangTon.pdf

The lower mids are slightly attenuated and the upper bass has too high a peak in contrast. Also, they missed to flatten the resonance of the woofer at 5 kHz, something that might have happened to a so-called reference speaker. Just my 2 cents without ever hearing it, I have to admit.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Peas

Truly, when it comes to listening, one might have a favourite. In-room response could be good enough with that bass peak considering possible SBIR effects whereas the flatter Quint version might also sound flat. So I am really OK with it.

But when it comes to measuring, a sounded hi-fi speaker is of lesser interest.

The Klang & Ton is still very much into that classic or puristic hi-fi approach - integrated amplifier and passive speakers.

But once you use a DSP at least for the bass, sounding is no longer necessary.

Jukka

When in DIY, why test all possible combinations of speaker elements and crossovers? Instead, wouldn't it be more meaningful to test individual speaker elements and effects of different crossovers components over them? There really is not much public distortion measurements of them plain speaker elements, that would also be comparable. This would also be a lot cheaper than testing full builds.

Also another aspect. Should one wish to see how different geometries affect distortion/directivity/etc, the comparison should be made with different constructions, but using the same elements (the "standard element" for bass, mids and treble). That way results would be comparable. There same goes for crossover components.

Also don't forget pro-audio speakers. Many DIYers are using them where space is not restricted.

Top Bottom