• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC?

nab1828

Genelec 8030 active monitors, SL-1500c. I want to also stream digital music. What do I need for this? MOTU M2, Schiit Modius, SMSL DO100? What's the best option if I just want to either play vinyl or stream music? Budget for DAC/audio interface is <250 euros. A sub might get added at some point. Thanks!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Not sure what the best choices are, but I didn't want to see this just disappear into the distance before giving it nudge back up to see if there are any suggestions.

I'd throw this out there as my suggestion.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what the best choices are, but I didn't want to see this just disappear into the distance before giving it nudge back up to see if there are any suggestions.

I'd throw this out there as my suggestion.

Seconded as the budget option. If it only had XLR, which I think you need for your Gennies. But you can just get the right connectors, I do that on my desktop system from a pro-ject.

OP
N

nab1828

Seconded as the budget option. If it only had XLR, which I think you need for your Gennies. But you can just get the right connectors, I do that on my desktop system from a pro-ject.

So SL-1500c line out to the Wiim Pro Plus, then RCA to XLR cable to the studio monitors?

EDIT: would I gain anything by buying one of the external DACs listed in my original post? How does the Wiim's DAC compare to those?
Also, the Wiim would convert the analog signal from the turntable to digital, then again to analog. Would this matter?!

Thanks for the advice.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Pro Plus should be audibly transparent:

It will not sound any different than the other DACs listed.

Your proposed setup should work just fine.

OP
N

nab1828

Thank you, sir.

dedobot

Tangent preamp II - 200 euros.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So SL-1500c line out to the Wiim Pro Plus, then RCA to XLR cable to the studio monitors?
I think you need a phono stage between the SL-1500c and the Wiim. Others may correct me, but I believe the Wiim is a line-level/attenuator for external input.

This is a cheap one, but phono stages do sound different due to different RIAA curves, as well as competent construction

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDQ424Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so maybe look here:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually it has a phono strange build-in.
Strange or stage, I have one and I did not know that. Does it have a ground back there?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange or stage, I have one and I did not know that. Does it have a ground back there?
1701813705554.png

aagstn

I am using the Pro Plus as my DAC and EQ and could not be happier with it. I use a separate passive preamp so I can switch a turntable (Mani 2 phono preamp), cassette deck and SACD/HDCD player to the analog in and use the optical in for redbook CD. Great piece of hardware for the price.

OP
N

nab1828

I am using the Pro Plus as my DAC and EQ and could not be happier with it. I use a separate passive preamp so I can switch a turntable (Mani 2 phono preamp), cassette deck and SACD/HDCD player to the analog in and use the optical in for redbook CD. Great piece of hardware for the price.

Brilliant, thanks, I ordered it. Gonna use optical from TV to Wiim, line out from the Technics to Wiim, and Wiim to the Genelecs RCA to XLR. Can't wait.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s the AMP, I was talking about the Pro/Pro Plus

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s the AMP, I was talking about the Pro/Pro Plus

No, the turntable has the phone pre, not the WiiM :facepalm:;)

Top Bottom