• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Headphonaholic

I've seen the JDS Labs Element mentioned a few times and I too would be interested in seeing how it performs. Not sure if it's been mentioned but my understanding is that the JDS Element and JDS EL Dac perform differently. The EL Dac has better specs and from what I've read is the better option if all you need is a dac. I'm guessing not cramming amp components in with the dac improves the performance.

yue

JDS Element is similar to ODAC. they are based on the same architecture --- SA9023 controller and PCM5102A DAC.

EL DAC is essentially OL DAC but in different case. they are all based on AK4490EQ and use AC Power.

escalibur

Thanks for asking me about it as there is no sign of it. No tracking number, no nothing. So I just sent a message. Their web page says it only takes 2-4 days to ship so not sure what is going on.

I tell you, I hate ordering from any site other than Amazon.
Still no replies?

He has bought a modern motherboard just recently I think the measurements will come once they're done. With the many he's been pushing out I think he needs a break now and then lol.
Sure he does! ;) I was just trying to throw in some suggestions. @amirm can consider them whenever he has time for that. ;)

sssn

Indeed, A2, which is also used in Topping A30 and DX7s, which are around 10 Ohm.

Chinese manufacturers adore the TPA6120A2. FX-Audio, Topping, SMSL, Sabaj...almost their entire (desktop) headphone amp lineup is based on this chip and it's freaking 10 ohm output impedance.

escalibur

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi,

There is the new SMSL M10 with AK4497.

http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=149
Excuse me but I don't review hairless DACs:

1532725988417.png

That aside, how much is it anyway?

Dodo974

Excuse me but I don't review hairless DACs:

View attachment 14299

That aside, how much is it anyway?
From a french revendor (Audiophonics), it's 519 € VAT.
;) Chinese don't have the same definition of "hairless" perhaps !

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Expensive for Chi-Fi and hairless. Not hairy enough for me.

yue

Ouch. Expensive. I am just hesitant of spending over $500 on a DAC that may not be performed and no one will buy it from me.

you can test the oppo sonica. should perform well, based on their other es9038pro product, OPPO UDP-205 .
your employer may be able to get one from oppo:)

yue

Oh, btw, I'm really interested to see a measurement of the macbook pro.
I have both HD600 and HD650. With normal listening volume (<75db), the difference between ODAC + O2 and Macbook Pro's headphone jack (with no amplifier connected) is quite subtle. Only when I turn up the volume to extremely loud (95db+) can I tell the difference reliably.
With Mac's headphone jack connected to O2, and compare it with ODAC+O2 combo, I can't tell the difference between the two at all.
Sometimes I question if a standalone DAC is helpful, if the native audio format is supported by laptop's internal DAC.

Veri

Master Contributor
Oh, btw, I'm really interested to see a measurement of the macbook pro.
I have both HD600 and HD650. With normal listening volume (<75db), the difference between ODAC + O2 and Macbook Pro's headphone jack (with no amplifier connected) is quite subtle. Only when I turn up the volume to extremely loud (95db+) can I tell the difference reliably.
With Mac's headphone jack connected to O2, and compare it with ODAC+O2 combo, I can't tell the difference between the two at all.
Sometimes I question if a standalone DAC is helpful, if the native audio format is supported by laptop's internal DAC.

I love the punchy bass of 2014->2016 macbook pro 15", like you say it was equal to an O2 stack back in the days! Not sure if the 2017/2018 new ultra-thin models have the same quality dac/amp though, not too trusting in Apple these days.

Top Bottom