• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

jaynyc

Forum Donor
@dc655321 @andreasmaaan the reason I suggested ASR run an iPhone/Lightning adapter test is because it could then appear in other ASR reviews as a perspective/comparison point. That little Lightning-to-Analog adapter might be the 'best selling' and 'most owned worldwide' DAC* right now (notice my quotes). I don't doubt the measurements made by Ken Rockwell or Archimago, but those measurements won't appear in Amir's awesome ASR review charts as comparison data if ASR doesn't have that data in-house with consistent measurement gear and technique etc.

* I am aware it's also an ADC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

ofrappier

Hi,

Fantastic, thanks :)

great forum and measurements.

After reading your posts and measurements, -> Toppin DX7s / Pro-ject S2 / U38pro (waiting for future measurements) / SMSL VMV are on my favorite list.

Last edited:

escalibur

Another one might be worth testing: PS Audio Sprout100

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another one might be worth testing: PS Audio Sprout100
Yes, I am very interested in it seeing how common it is at shows and such. Does it ever come up for sale on massdrop or elsewhere?

escalibur

OK, I just ordered the HIFIME UDA38PRO DAC. Hopefully it does well on the bench as I have entirely too many DACs sitting around! :)
Any news on this? :)

escalibur

Yes, I am very interested in it seeing how common it is at shows and such. Does it ever come up for sale on massdrop or elsewhere?
Not sure. Z has just reviewed it:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any news on this? :)
Thanks for asking me about it as there is no sign of it. No tracking number, no nothing. So I just sent a message. Their web page says it only takes 2-4 days to ship so not sure what is going on.

I tell you, I hate ordering from any site other than Amazon.

Veri

Master Contributor
Not sure. Z has just reviewed it:

Seems like a cool do-it-all kit but it's already 3 years old, takes 192Khz PCM max and decodes no DSD (Wolfson WM8524 chip).
I'm not sure if it's particularly useful for amir to consider unless someone is interested in funding buying one.

Also, kinda fed up with Zeos and his flavor of the month dac/headamp, he changes favorites so often lol, his reviews should be taken with a great grain of salt.

Veri

Master Contributor
What about Auralic Altair ?
Seems pretty overpriced at $2000. The Auralic Vega tested excellent but used 9018 chip, the altair decided for a low-power Sabre 9018K2M but I guess it's all about implementation. At that price range I would like to see them use a PRO chip though.. especially since brands like iFi have come up with low cost wifi/streaming devices, why fork over that $2k?

edit: I stand corrected.

Last edited:

Simon740

Seems pretty overpriced at $2000. The Auralic Vega tested excellent but used 9038PRO chip, the altair decided for a low-power Sabre 9018K2M but I guess it's all about implementation. At that price range I would like to see them use a PRO chip though.. especially since brands like iFi have come up with low cost wifi/streaming devices, why fork over that $2k?
Auralic Vega use 9018 chip...
Im looking “one box solution” for my active speakers.
So preamp/dac and streamer in one box. To simplyfy everything

Top Bottom