• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It isn't.

Very close, but not identical.

Guy I know in the Seattle area has both the ADI-2 Pro and the ADI-2 DAC, if you want I can see if he can get together with you to measure them.
Please do. Would be nice to quantify the difference. RME says the difference is not measurable from what someone post earlier.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have the Allo unit which they kindly loaned to me weeks ago! But just have not had the time to touch it given so much gear that has come for review (both purchased and on loan). But I will get to it at some point. :)

duo8

I'm new here so I don't know if this has been suggested before, but would you be interested in testing those random Chinese DAC boards?
They aren't really random because there aren't that many models out there, they're just unbranded.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I'm new here so I don't know if this has been suggested before, but would you be interested in testing those random Chinese DAC boards?
They aren't really random because there aren't that many models out there, they're just unbranded.

I have an ES9038q2m & 28q2m johnny generic Chinese boards in front of me. Will post results soon.

duo8

I have an ES9038q2m & 28q2m johnny generic Chinese boards in front of me. Will post results soon.
That's neat.
I bought a really cheap 9018 board before and it came defective, after fixing it I can't hear any glaring faults, outside of apparently high output impedance.

There's a AK4490 board out there that might be worth measuring. It's a step above the cheap $10 ones, and is ready-to-use, unlike many I2S-only, no DC in boards.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

sonci

Any news on the Topping D50? I can't find it anywhere on sale, not even on their site.
I hope it's the next Dac on schedule.:rolleyes:

duo8

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a link for someone selling that?

As BE718 I too have bought a no name board only one to test: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077995VQT/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ah one of those PCM2704 sticks. I remember someone reported that it killed their headphone, though that was some really cheap chinese one.

Anyway the one I mentioned is available on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ak4490xmosu8/32788755737.html
It's $40. I'm not sure if it's on ebay or not though.

EDIT: there are several others using a PCM5102 too.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

duo8

Randem Tox

Wow, found this one
It's clearly the Douk Audio/Nobsound I mentioned in the other thread but they "got rid" of the brand name.

From the listing:

We specially offer weaked edition for audiophiles, The original design is not the best, The sound is a little harsh/dry and noisy,Also bad low frequency extention, It is a typical "digital" sound

Quick! Sign me up!!

Randem Tox

"weaked edition for audiophiles?" He means they made it worse for audiophiles???

:)

Nah, they offer a "tweaked" version for "senior audiophiles" ... but they omitted the "t".

I'm (natively) English (heading back there in a couple of days, my little jaunt to the PNW ends this week), so I take a particularly perverse pleasure in pointing out major butchering's of my mother-tongue. I do think it's a shame that, through failure of language, they make the product they're selling sound awful in an attempt to point people to a "tweaked" (supposedly better) version.

Top Bottom