• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Beware though, the ones sold by Hidizs on Amazon are the Sonara iDSD (not Plus) which is a older version with only 1 chip.
Ah good, the one I bought was the plus version. I am not depressed anymore. :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/matrix-x-spdif-2-a-singxer-su-1-killer.855159/page-7

Hi Veri,

Just ordered the matrix spdif2 from www.matrix-digi.com to shipment to Singapore and guess will be 2-3 weeks to know if it is a keeper or I have to order the pro3z from diyinhk when on-loan one is returned to its owner ... guess just have to experience it for yourself to know but usb-spdif bridges are NOT made all equal for sure !

Installed the Topping D50 playing dsd analog from my Android headunit via USB Audio Pro/Onkyo HF Players into my Alpine PXA-h900 processor with unfortunately AD conversion before the needed cross-over, slope, TA, gain setting etc, processing which took their tolls and the sound quality was obviously inferior to converted dsd to 44.1kHz PCM to the PXA-H900 via the pro3z optical/spdif.

I had decided that this is the way to go unless I get loaned chord qutest at 7 times more price of D50 to try against if quality of the quest can compensate this mentioned toll of added DA and AD conversions which I doubt.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Veri and all,

Received the matrix spdif2 just 6-7 hours ago ....

Suffice to say it will stay and will NOT be ordering ... the pro3z ... when its owner needs it back while noting that this matrix spdif2 is brand new with possible improvement after next 1 week+ of 24/7 burn in when I am off to Suzhou, China, for biz trip.

Matrix spdif2 is as detailed as pro3z but background is darker with resulting deeper and wider sound stage .. just more musical while arguably a very minute shade in loss of dynamic. This despite matrix spdif2 is using older XU208 compared to XU216 ... not that I know impact of these XMOS versions on sound quality but guess it is implementation especially 8x the size in volume of CNC aluminium bloc.

Pro3z is great for its usd216 price with great sound but matrix spdif at usd379 is just betta if you want the best usb=spdif on its musicality and darker background that make you play the system louder and louder as well with future proof i2s .. hence my recommendation to go for matrix spdif2.

Lookings like I am done with usb-spdif in my car audio system and hope burn-in brings about more improvement of the matrix spdif2 especially to have it more dynamic.

Hope this helps members and any guest here but make no mistake ... usb-spdif converter are not made equally.

Cheers,

Richard

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really would love to see one of popular A/V receivers tested. Examples: Sony STR-DN1080, Yamaha 383 or 683 etc.

gz-

hello! i really like the forum! i would love to see mesurments for the CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER E5 !

boxerfan88

Soekris dac1541 in balanced mode.

Veri

Master Contributor
Personally I'm interested in the NAD M51. A "35-bit 844kHz-Pulse-Width-Modulation-upsampling DAC and Digital Preamplifier" (lol)

Stereophile's measurements look pretty good though and there's quite a few used units available on the market... my interest is somewhat piqued.
712NADfig14.jpg

(red is 24-bit)

Reactions: pos
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Personally I'm interested in the NAD M51. A "35-bit 844kHz-Pulse-Width-Modulation-upsampling DAC and Digital Preamplifier" (lol)
It has been discontinued though. Searching through ebay, it is still sold at full list price of $2000 which is way too expensive for me to buy.

Veri

Master Contributor
It has been discontinued though. Searching through ebay, it is still sold at full list price of $2000 which is way too expensive for me to buy.
I see. I see listings around €700 but $2000 is kind of ridiculous for an older device indeed. It's too hefty to ship it across the world though.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a M51 I would be willing to send in for measurement....

Not sure where the discontinued info is coming from but it's still listed on their site. Also, the C510 looks very similar to the M51 and is very available.

Yep I saw that, on their website and here in Europe the M51 seems still available.

If you can manage to get it to Amir that would be really awesome. Please consider :)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I really would like to see measurement of DIY-build with Twisted Pear Audio Buffalo III dac chips:
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/buffalosep.aspx

I'm contemplating building a Buffalo III sometime in the future. I doubt I'll be able to hear any difference between my finished build and a D50 or something even cheaper, but I like the idea of modular DIY. If I ever get around to realizing my thoughts, I'd might send it to amirm just for kicks.

Smsl sanskrit 10th anniversary. Just released on shenzhen.
A review of the pro-b version would be even better.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Smsl sanskrit 10th anniversary. Just released on shenzhen.
A review of the pro-b version would be even better.
Looks like it is only on Aliexpress and I don't have an account there. So how about one of you buying it and drop shipping it to me? :)

Top Bottom